cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alanna
Level 1

Unreconcile an entire month

I need to unreconcile an entire month. Is there a reason I cannot do this myself? I feel it unnecessary to contact and pay my accountant to do this for me when I own the company. Please advise. Thanks!

27 Comments 27
Regina_Lend_A_Hand_Accounting
Level 9

Unfortunately, only Accountants can "Undo" a Reconciliation in QBO at present. 

Lexiesmemere
Level 7

It is possible to undo a reconciliation manually, but it is one click at a time.

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Banking-and-bank-feeds/How-to-unreconcile-a-transaction-or-u...

Level 9

Sure, but that would be quite cumbersome to do, especially if there were a number of transactions for the period. 

Lexiesmemere
Level 7

I agree, but it's that or get an accountant user to do it (and pay, presumably).  

SterlingD
QuickBooks Team

Hi @alanna.

Welcome to the QuickBooks Community. I'll be happy to help you unreconcile an entire month.

Undoing a Reconcile is an accountant only feature, as you stated. The reason for this is so It's not done accidentally. If a user was to accidentally undo a reconcile it could put them back for a lot of work they've put in. 

An accountant linked to your QBO account can undo a reconcile in a few steps:

1. In QuickBooks Online Accountant and signed in as an accountant user, select the client from the drop-down list on the Toolbelt to open the client's company file.
  2. Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar.

3. Under Tools, select Reconcile.

4. On the Reconcile an account page, select History by account.
  5. On the History by account page, select the Account and Report period to locate the reconciliation to undo.
  6. From the Action column drop-down list, select Undo.
  7. When prompted to confirm, select Yes.
  8. In the final confirmation window, select Undo.
  9. Select Ok.

Note: Undoing a reconciliation automatically undoes any reconciliations that come after it chronologically, based on the Reconciled On date.

For more information on undoing reconciles, click here.

Please remember, I'm always here for any other questions or concerns.

Level 9

Yes, at present that is the case, although I believe that Intuit could make a change.

Our firm does not charge our clients to "Undo" account reconciliations, but many do.

alanna
Level 1

So frustrating...I feel like if you have the ability to reconcile an account, you should also have the ability to undo it without an accountants version, or bugging your accountant to do it for you. This seems like a simple fix for quickbooks if they are watching. Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate it.

Rustler
Level 15

@alanna

All  you have to do is invite yourself, using a different email, as the accountant

when you are logged in as the accountant there is a briefcase icon for accountant tools you can use

Level 9

Accountant users have QBOA firm accounts.

Rustler
Level 15

@Regina_Lend_A_Hand_Accounting wrote:

Accountant users have QBOA firm accounts.

There is no requirement to be an accountant, to have a QBOA account, or anything else to be invited as the accountant user that I am aware of.

Do you have a link to something that says differently?

Level 9

You would need to "have" a QBOA account in order to receive an Accountant invitation.

Lexiesmemere
Level 7

I have, more than once, seen an Intuit rep suggest that you could invite yourself (with a different email) as an accountant user in order to do this.

Level 9

Again, it is not as simple as sending an Accountant invitation to a separate email address. In order to accept an Accountant invitation you must first "have" a QBOA firm account. 

Rustler
Level 15

You keep saying that, but do you have anything that says so?

Level 9
Tammi Miller
Level 2

where would this briefcase icon appear?

RaymondJayO

Thanks for joining this thread, @Tammi Miller

Allow me to share some information about undoing reconciliation. 

If you're using QuickBooks Online (QBO), the Undo option is currently unavailable.

This briefcase icon exists on our accountant versions of QBO. To learn more about this feature, see this article: Undo A Reconciliation

As an alternative, you'll have to manually unreconcile each transaction on your register. Here's how: 

1. Go to the Gear icon at the upper right. 
  2. Select Chart of Accounts.
  3. Look for the account and click View Register under Action column. 
  4. Select the transaction.
  5. Change the R (reconciled) transaction to blank.
  6. Click Save.
  7. Choose Yes.

For more details, you can check out this helpful article: Unreconcile A Transaction. You can also freely navigate more reconciliation topics through the Reconcile Hub article.

The steps above will help achieve your reconciliation goal. Take care and have a good day, @Tammi Miller

paul14
Level 3

Why is quick books sending me USPS Mail to borrow Money?

Why do I get Pop Ups asking me to borrow Money to Stop?

Why am I getting Pop-ups to purchase other Products?

Why am I getting Pop Ups to ask how I like the software?

How do I get them to stop bothering me on a daily bases?

Why do I pay them to horas me?

Iv'e been working years to get them to stop this and all my settings are correct. 

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @paul14.

QuickBooks recently released a new feature that allows business owners to apply for a loan through its originating lender, the QuickBooks Capital.

We notify our users about this news through the mail and adds, so interested customers can send their applications. However, if you no longer want to receive communications from us regarding QuickBooks Capital, let our funding team know by sending them an email at quickbookscapital@intuit.com.

When it comes to the pop-ups about purchasing products, this is a way to introduce new features and enhancements for users like you, our valued customer. You can prevent this from showing up by clicking the X sign or No thanks button.

To add up,it's not our intention to make you feel that way. QuickBooks aims to have all the users updated about its latest product news and we strive hard to provide you the best customer experience.

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll make sure you're all set. Have a good one!

Emlyn
Level 2

Hi, I can't see undo option I only see option to print

JonpriL

Hello @Emlyn,

As of the moment, the feature to undo an entire reconciliation is only available for all Accountant users using their QuickBooks Online Accountant account.

With this, let's consider manually removing your transactions from reconciliation to undo them. Let me show you how.

1. Go to Accounting.
  2. Select Chart of Accounts.
  3. Find your bank account from the list of accounts.
  4. Under ACTION, select View register.
  5. Review your bank transaction.
  6. On the Check column, remove the status.
  7. Click Save.

In the same manner, here's an article you can read to learn more about how you can undo a reconciled transaction: Undo and remove transactions from reconciliations in QuickBooks Online.

However, if you still wish to accomplish your goal easily as describe by the suggestions above, let's invite your accountant to access your company data. To do so:

1. Go to the Gear icon.
  2. Under Your Company, select Manage Users.
  3. Select Accounting firms.
  4. Click Invite.
  5. Enter the name and email address of your accountant.
  6. Click Save.

On top of that, I've also included this reference for a compilation of articles you can use while working with us: Learn the reconcile workflow in QuickBooks.

If there's anything else that I can help you with, please let me know in the comments below. I'll be here to lend a hand.

pw19
Level 1

I was able to unreconcile the entire month by going to the Accounting tab then to Chart of Accounts  then to Reconcile.  Then I just used the arrow next to view report and clicked Undo.  You'll get about 3 confirmation messages and then it will undo the reconciliation for the whole month.

Mary4booksbybrooks
Level 2

Thanks,  I use the QBOA version for my client and that worked like a charm.  

gretchen11
Level 1

I am not able to unreconcile the last month in one of my accounts.  I need help unreconciling the last month.  I am not seeing the steps as you have laid out.  Help

Need to get in touch?

Contact us