cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

reconcile function not working

I have a new bank account and trying to reconcile the first bank statement.  I open Reconcile, the drop down box appears and I put in the new balance and the interest, hit OK, and nothing happens.  I've tried closing the app and restarting it. That doesn't work.  I don't know what else to try.  The older accounts are reconciling fine; it's just this new one that isn't working.

7 Comments
Established Community Backer *

Re: reconcile function not working

When you click the OK button it checks that the ending balance for the account has been entered in the sheet.  Did you not put an ending balance in? It should be 0 if the balance is zero. 

Established Member

I put in the ending balance. Any other suggestions?

Established Member

I put in the ending balance. Any other thoughts?

QuickBooks Team

I'll make sure to resolve this issue for you, MKR67.

When bumping into odd behaviors like this, the first thing I recommend is updating the installation of QuickBooks. This will refresh and automatically fix any damages within the data file.

Here's how:

1. Click the QuickBooks Desktop menu.
  2. Select Check for Updates.
  3. Click Install Update if a newer version is available.
  4. Click Install and Relaunch when prompted. QuickBooks for Mac will automatically open after the update.

Let's start there and keep me posted if you're able to proceed with the reconciliation. Thanks.

Established Member

I have Quickbooks 2013 and now only use it for my personal finances. We had a small business of my hisband’s on it but my husband has passed away and the business is inactive. All that to say that I haven’t paid for any kind of support for the program. If I click on “Check for updates” it chugs for a while and then I get an error message. 

QuickBooks Team

Hello, MKR67.

Updating QuickBooks Installation is only available in the supported versions of QuickBooks. The following are the ones that are currently supported. 

•    QuickBooks Desktop Windows/Mac 2016 (will be discontinued on the 31’st of May 2019)
•    QuickBooks Desktop Windows/Mac 2017
•    QuickBooks Desktop Windows/Mac 2018
•    QuickBooks Desktop Windows/Mac 2019

Discontinued versions such as 2015 and earlier can no longer use add-on services, online services. Also, they can no longer receive critical security updates /QuickBooks Installation update. 

You might want to upgrade to the latest version of QuickBooks for Mac to take fully advantage of the features mentioned above. 

For now, we can try to fix this issue by repairing the software. 

Drop by again if you have other questions. 

Established Community Backer *

Make sure the ending balance is numeric - it should be a dollar amount like 0.00.   If you have any letters, symbols, or the like that might be it.  But in the code when I check that's the only thing I see that would prevent the button from functioning.  

If its not in the code...  it might be a conflict with something on your OS.  Try rebooting your Mac and hold down the shift key while it reboots.  Then try it again and let me know if it works.