cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
clair2
Level 2

Can you help with entering 'customers purchase orders'?

Solved
Best answer April 25, 2019

Accepted Solutions
TaliaI
QuickBooks Team

Hello clair2,

Yes, the best workaround would be to enter as an estimate.

Thanks,

Talia

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
EdwardR
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for posting on the Community clair2.

Can I please clarify what you are trying to record, do you mean Purchase Orders for Suppliers?

Thanks,

Rustler
Level 15

@clair2 

If the customer is ordering products you sell , use an estimate.  If you want you can customize an estimate using a custom field where you can type in the customer PO number

If it is a blanket PO for x-amount, use an estimate and a service item, but enter the amount as the qty and the rate as $1.  That will allow you to use part of the $ amount per invoice

vpcontroller
Level 11

Customer's Purchase Order feature is also commonly known as 'Sales Order' for your company which QuickBooks Online (QBO) does not have yet. They have 'Estimate' feature (which is a different feature) is available in QBO. With Estimate form, you can create Progress Invoicing (help to create multiple partial invoices from a single estimate) and also be able to convert Estimate to Vendor Purchase Order if needed.

For more information related to Progress Invoicing, check out this article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Inventory-and-projects/Set-up-and-send-progress-invoices-in-...

Rustler
Level 15

@vpcontroller wrote:

Customer's Purchase Order feature is also commonly known as 'Sales Order' for your company which QuickBooks Online (QBO) does not have yet. They have 'Estimate' feature (which is a different feature) is available in QBO. With Estimate form, you can create Progress Invoicing (help to create multiple partial invoices from a single estimate) and also be able to convert Estimate to Vendor Purchase Order if needed.

For more information related to Progress Invoicing, check out this article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Inventory-and-projects/Set-up-and-send-progress-invoices-in-...

One of my businesses deals with customer purchase orders routinely.  In QB a sales order is just a record of an order being placed.  A customer PO on the other hand is an authorization to purchase and warrants that the funds have been reserved.   Get a customer PO and do not enter the customer PO number on your invoice and it gets sent back or trashed, depending on how the A/P clerk receiving it feels at the time.

clair2
Level 2

I want to enter the purchase orders from our customers - I believe the only way is to record them in estimate?

clair2
Level 2

I agree, all purchase order number must be quoted on the invoices otherwise payment will be rejected.

I need to enter all our customer purchase orders on QBO, I believe the only way is to enter them in estimate?

TaliaI
QuickBooks Team

Hello clair2,

Yes, the best workaround would be to enter as an estimate.

Thanks,

Talia

Need to get in touch?

Contact us