Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Eg White
Level 1

Claiming only part of an expense

Having just signed up for QuickBooks, because of making tax digital, I need to know  if it is possible to, for instance, claim only 40% of my home electricity.  The majority of my VAT submission to HMRC is  claiming my receipts against VAT  (I’m a self-employed single trader) but with telephone, electricity, diesel and some other expenses, I can only claim part, on account of working from home. How do I do this most effectively?  Is it possible to set up a template in my expenses section of the program, to charge some expenses  at 40%, 25% or 80%, as is appropriate? 

Solved
Best answer May 17, 2019

Accepted Solutions
TaliaI
QuickBooks Team

Hello Eg White,

You will need to manually work out how much VAT you are due to claim back on these expenses manually, and then split the transaction between VAT & No VAT so that only the amount you are due to reclaim posts to your return.

This is the only way we can think to suggest, however we would advise to speak to an accountant to check if there's any further way they are aware of.

Thanks,

Talia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
John C
QuickBooks Team

Hi Eg White

We acknowledge that you state you are self employed however we would be grateful if you can confirm wehther you are using the Self Employed product or one of the small business products.

Eg White
Level 1

My accountants have bought licenses to 10 packages from QuickBooks, which I think are QuickBooks plus. I imagine that is one of the small business products, but I don't know.

TaliaI
QuickBooks Team

Hello Eg White,

You will need to manually work out how much VAT you are due to claim back on these expenses manually, and then split the transaction between VAT & No VAT so that only the amount you are due to reclaim posts to your return.

This is the only way we can think to suggest, however we would advise to speak to an accountant to check if there's any further way they are aware of.

Thanks,

Talia

Need to get in touch?

Contact us