cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Explorer *
Solved

ACCOUNTANTS

My current accountant is charging a fortune, since changing to Quickbooks, the work involved has reduced, how much should I be expecting to pay and does anyone recommend an online e accountant?

Best answer 10-15-2018 11:34 PM

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer *

Re: ACCOUNTANTS

I work almost 100% remote with all of my clients and most I never meet in person and rarely speak to most of them on the phone ever, but is always their choice and they are welcome to call or we can meet anytime, but I tell them that is totally their call. All works fine remote with several for many years.  Two of them I had never met for a few years until the day they were finally audited I went to their office to assist (on DCAA Accounting System Audit) so met the client and the auditors (3) at the same time, but had been training them prior to audit and advising them on accounting for years before that, all knowing the audit would be coming. Industry-specific is definitely required in my GovCon industry, anyone not knowing industry will most likely not have a chance of getting through first audit much less the first 10 audits. Since I am talking from the consultant vs. client side, I will spare you on my hourly rate since I expect it would only be in range in my industry, so would likely sound very high to anyone here.

7 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

How much you pay is really a local thing depending on the degree of service you get.

I would call around the local small business owners and see who they use, then contact them with your requirements. 

I know the web allows for remote accountants, but I am a dinosaur, I want to be able to walk in and do a face to face when something is wrong.

you can use this link to find a "local" proadvisor if you want

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/find-an-accountant/

ProAdvisor

@Rustler wrote:

"I know the web allows for remote accountants, but I am a dinosaur..."

Ah, I have it in writing now!   LOL

Great answer for @MEANWOODBAXTER from Rustler. Spot on advice, as always. 

And I might add, it has been my experience that it is very important  to ask your potential accountant, "Do you USE QuickBooks Online and are comfortable logging in and making entries in it?"

I have had the opportunity to work with CPA's.  Many will begrudgingly use it.  When I finally found one to work with that is a wiz in QBO, it made the client processing so much easier at tax time.  

Lynda

Community Host

@MEANWOODBAXTER,

Great question. I think a large part of it depends on your preferences. Online/remote accounting is becoming increasingly popular, but are you the type of person who needs in-person meetings to get the most out of your consultation? How many times a year do you see your accountant? Do they need to be industry-specific or are you fine with generalists? 

Glad to hear the work has been drastically reduced. Has your accountant now become more of a checker than an advisor? 

And finally, with all the above answered, what do you think is a fair price for what you need? 

I work almost 100% remote with all of my clients and most I never meet in person and rarely speak to most of them on the phone ever, but is always their choice and they are welcome to call or we can meet anytime, but I tell them that is totally their call. All works fine remote with several for many years.  Two of them I had never met for a few years until the day they were finally audited I went to their office to assist (on DCAA Accounting System Audit) so met the client and the auditors (3) at the same time, but had been training them prior to audit and advising them on accounting for years before that, all knowing the audit would be coming. Industry-specific is definitely required in my GovCon industry, anyone not knowing industry will most likely not have a chance of getting through first audit much less the first 10 audits. Since I am talking from the consultant vs. client side, I will spare you on my hourly rate since I expect it would only be in range in my industry, so would likely sound very high to anyone here.

Interesting, since I work 100% remote in all 5 U.S. time zones and charge based on company size.

$25 more per hour for companies with over 500 employees.

Community Host

@Teri

What about custom jobs or "one-off projects" that require you to learn a new set of tools and systems? 

Good question, but all of my jobs are custom since I only work with Government contractors and each client is unique with regard to the starting point and how much they want to do themselves.  Don't do much routine bookkeeping since I train clients to do their own along with accounting system implementation.  I do not teach things I don't know, but if I needed to learn to do anything new, I would do that on my own time. Interesting question since I could see that both ways, that I might charge more or less depending on the situation.  Perhaps if there was something that I did really want to learn, maybe I would charge less or if I had to learn something unexpected in order to complete a project I had already committed to but was not made aware of beforehand, then I might be inclined to charge more for that expanded scope of work.  However, as far as learning new systems or tools that is pretty common in my work, so is just part of the job I do.  Cheers!

Teri