cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *

Accounts Payable invoices

In accounts payable, is there anyway to make the invoice bill case sensitive? I have found that I dupicate alpha invoice numbers, due to us mail and email and fax deliveries. If i enter the invoice in CAPS and then later in the month I have another invoice with the same number but if it is entered without caps. Quickbooks will pay it again. Any ideas?

7 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Accounts Payable invoices

Not that I am aware of, for some reason QB seems to disregard case in the invoice or bill number

You can try, if you have not already, setting preferences to warn about duplicate bill or invoice numbers - I have not seen that work but then again I have not worried about it for a long time and maybe newer versions are case sensitive

Community Contributor *

Thank you. I did set the default to show duplications, but it will only show as a dup if everything is exact. Intuit said that it will not show as a dup if you at one time entered the alpha as caps and then again in lower case. That's crazy to me. Hopefully, they will put it into a fix. Basically, if you entered ...  123ABC and 123abc, it will register as 2 invoices by the same vendor and will pay twice. 

Community Host

@chickey, are you using custom invoice numbers? What degree of organization are you looking for, and for what percentage of your AP? It might make sense to use custom invoice numbers and organizing transactions with categorized prefixes and suffixes. 

Community Contributor *

I think you are questioning accounts receivable invoicing. I am speaking of vendor bills for accounts payable. I use the invoice numbers that are associated with the vendor invoice. 

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, chickey.

Are you using the online bill pay? If so, we don't have the option yet to differentiate uppercase and lowercase letters when entering bill numbers.

I recommend sending this suggestion here: https://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/forums/168199-quickbooks-online-feature-requests.

Please visit us again here in the Community if you have other questions. Wishing you the best for your business.

Community Host

@chickey,

I totally misread this, my mistake. If you are entering an expense, you can put whatever reference number you want. You can create your own numerical sequence for the alphas.  If you want to make sure you enter the bill/ref number provided by the vendor, you can put it in the memo section so you always have it as a reference. 

Maybe I am totally missing the point, just trying to think of a practical way to use what's available to solve the challenge at hand. 

Community Explorer *

I have had the same exact issue and had reported it as a bug a few months ago.  I can't think of any business need where this functionality would be intentional so I hope they remove the case sensitivity from this field when checking for duplicates.