Highlighted
ProAdvisor
Tags (1)
16 Comments
ProAdvisor
Re: Advanced ProAdvisor Certification to be Discontinued

And I might add to the post for questions to Intuit (because it is a bit of a big topic on social media right now):

1. Will we keep our certification badge?
  2. How does this affect our search ranking in the QB Find a Proadvisor site?

These are things that just were not clear in that email on Friday.  

As you can see, some of us are really proud of our certifications.  They mean something to us!

We hope someone from Intuit can shine a light on this topic not just for Matthew @ParkwayInc and I, but for other ProAdvisors that are stunned by this announcement.

Lynda

ProAdvisor

I became Desktop Advanced certified when the program first came out. I believe in 2006. At that time we were told that you had to attend 2 seminars & there would be no further testing ever to maintain the certification. Boy had this changed over the years.

The test was a real PIA. As Lynda state some of the answers in the answer key were wrong. 

Over the years the maintaining the cert. became more prohibitive. Having to attend webinars in the middle of the day. That caused some of us give up a work day. Just to get the CPE  credit. That and having to pay for other courses, in my opinion, forced the certification to deminish. 

I worked long & hard to achieve & maintain that certification. I’m not happy it is disappearing. It made us who achieved it to stand out above the regular ProAdvisors.

Intuit needs to bring it back & figure out how it can be maintained where we are not giving up work day or having to pay for classes.

Established Community Backer ***

I understand the pride in accomplishment, and the advantage it provides when you talk to prospective clients.

I look at it like this, you earned the badge, so use it forever.

If anything this new policy should save you time and cost

ProAdvisor

That's the thing @Rustler, they will not be forever, just 3 yrs.  Then they are gone!  At least that is my understanding.  Apparently, the amount of users that want advanced certified has dropped to "single digits" so the costs to maintain the test are too great for the lack of interest in the program.  

It is understandable why that is since the "other" test is free!  The desktop cert includes the software and comes with upfront costs.  It makes me wonder how long the "free" will last with online. 

Of course the BIG debate right now is this the beginning of the end of desktop?  But that is really a whole other debate.

I personally, do not think so.   Mr. Geek, Matthew @ParkwayInc ,has more insight as to numbers of desktop v online, so he has convinced me that desktop is here to stay!

Lynda

ProAdvisor

I recently wrote an article on this subject with the information quoted directly from Intuits Quarterly reports:

In 2016 Intuit Sold about 956,000 copies of QuickBooks Desktop, and another 326,000 subscriptions to QuickBooks Desktop. Fast Forward to 2018 and QuickBooks Desktop subscriptions increased to 385,000 plus an additional 749,000 QuickBooks Desktop Units Sold.  Collectively the total desktop ecosystem revenue is projected to crest slightly over 1.8 billion dollars compared to the online ecosystem that is expected slightly under 1.2 billion in revenues.

There is no doubt that Online is growing very quickly, but desktop is still making them a lot of money.

Established Community Backer ***

@lynda

Well yea the program is gone, but you have the badge, so you can use it in advertising, site info, etc etc

ProAdvisor

@Rustler,

I agree! My thoughts were that I needed to make sure I complete the advanced training before the time frame ends to ensure that I have that advanced certification. Once I have it, they can take it off the site, but they cannot take it away from me! Plus look at QB for Mac, we all thought that was gone for good!

Established Member

I'm quite disappointed to have received this e-mail.  I, like all others who passed this exam worked quite hard in order to do so.  It is something of which we are proud and something that helps distinguish us and show our specialization in QB Desktop.  How would a CPA feel that worked so hard to pass the CPA exam if they heard that they were doing away with the CPA certification and the governing body which issued the certification would no longer acknowledge that certification after 3 years?   

I understand the advanced certification exam has had a decline in interest for people to pursue this certification.  It is understandable considering the push of QB Online.  Nonetheless, I don't believe those who earned the certification should have it dropped off their ProAdvisor profiles.  Stop offering the exam, but don't remove the certification from all those who earned it.

I was disappointed when they decided to no longer show all our past certifications.  This took away the ability for the customers searching through the ProAdvisor site to be able to view all our years of experience working with the product.

Now I do wonder about what will happen to our listing rankings once the advanced certification is gone.  As I understood it, being advanced certified had a big impact on appearing higher in the listings.  Some of us even worked hard to get advanced certified in both desktop and online.  Will we now drop in the listings as a result of having this certification taken away?

ProAdvisor

@cpamario:  We just discussed this on a meet up how we all missed the list of certifications listing all the years.  To me, I wore that as a badge of honor.  

Since the revamp of the algorithm of the Find a ProAdvisor site, I only get leads from my tiny town.  No longer do they come from Ft. Myers to Naples because I do not live there.  Even though I had higher credentials and more reviews.  So, basically, that avenue of lead generation dried up.  Prior to the change,  it was a robust way of generating business.

I think this one stings because the test was so difficult.  We spent hours learning, watching the training videos, etc.  Personally,  the desktop advanced cert took me months to do it.  Lots of studying.  The content was fantastic and I learned a lot.  So, I guess if I had to make lemons into lemonade, that will be what I hang on to from this change to the certifications and the discontinuation of the Advanced Desktop Cert.

Lynda

ProAdvisor

@ParkwayInc:  QB for Mac should have never been resurrected.  Smiley LOL 

Established Member

Good!!!!

They need to get rid of ALL 3rd party interaction and train their own staff. Tired of getting bad info from the 3rd party. 

Community Host

Hello all (especially @ParkwayInc for creating the post),

I won't but into the conversation besides to say thank you for your feedback and that I've shared this with some of our ProAdvisor teams internally. I am hoping to bring a few of them into the conversation. 

ProAdvisor
You rock James! Smiley Happy
ProAdvisor

That would be fantastic, James.

ProAdvisor

Hi @JamesOng,

Your opinion and feedback are always welcome my friend!  

If, I had to guess what the ProAdvisor team would think to themselves, it would probably go a little like this....

"Oh sure, tell someone you’re going to take something away and all of a sudden it is the most important thing ever to them!"

So, I am going to be the first person to say, I am one of many responsible for this test going away, since I have not completed my Advanced Desktop Certification. I must confess I have been putting it off strictly due to the amount of time it requires to earn the badge.

Throw Me a Badge Here.png

Appreciating the time, it takes us to pass it, I also respect all the time and energy (not to mention $$) that is required to develop, administer and manage the exams. When you take that into consideration, I cannot blame Intuit for announcing the exams retirement.

BUT I still stand by the fact the QuickBooks Desktop is still very much alive and kicking and will be a part of the Intuit product line up for many more years to come! If I had to guess, the U.S. will just see the transition from a per license model to a subscription model like other parts of the world.  (Right Canada?)

Oh yeah and @JamesOng, QuickBooks Connect is right around the corner! See you there??

Community Host

Hey @Raywhite28 and @lynda,

I met with a few folks from that team last week. Still trying to get some direct engagement, but they heard this conversation loud and clear.