Highlighted
Community Explorer *
3 Comments
Established Community Backer ***
Re: Applying a payment to multiple POs to vendors that are partial payments

A PO is non posting, it is just a memo of what you have ordered. From what you describe I too would have used two PO's.

Entering the bill is what stocks inventory.

When you enter the 40K payment, make that payment to the vendor and use accounts payable as the expense (reason) for the payment. That sets a credit with the vendor, which can then be applied to any bill from that vendor, it is not tied to a specific PO.

When the shipment comes in, create the bill from the PO, get all items listed with qty and total cost per item, save and in pay bills, apply the credit.

Community Explorer *

Thank you!  So, I had tried this before but where I am getting stuck is that it isn't giving me an opportunity to apply the funds sitting in accounts payable to the bill.   

I entered the bill by using the PO against the bill.  Then I went to pay bills.  I select the bill I want to pay.  It gives me a pop up message "a check will not be created for this bill because it will be paid entirely with credits and/or discounts."    I select ok.    However, down at the bottom where it has the credits but then also payment section.  If I click pay selected bills, it is still recording a transaction to my credit card as payment even though I didn't want to.  Is there something I am not selecting?

One more thing I will add is when going to my chart of accounts and that credit card it states "QuickBooks generated zero amount transaction for bill payment stub"  The charge is 0 and did not change the balance on that chart of account........so technically it didn't change anything but it looks weird

Established Community Backer ***

so technically it didn't change anything but it looks weird

Yes it does, there is no explaining how the programmers did things