cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *
Solved

Desktop ProAdvisor

I am currently a certified ProAdvisor for QBO and am thinking of adding on Desktop.  I can't find a whole lot of information on a ProAdvisor program for Desktop.  Does this still exist?  I find very little information about Desktop in general and even less about ProAdvisor.  Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Best answer 06-01-2018 08:17 AM

Accepted Solutions
ProAdvisor

Re: Desktop ProAdvisor

@KathyHolt here's a link to the program for Desktop...scroll to the bottom of the page: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/accountants/proadvisor/

I'm advanced certified in both.  I'm more comfortable in QBD just because it's what I've used for years.  I agree with @lynda that you should learn QBO, get certified, advanced certified, and enhance your advisory skills.  Advisory skills will help set you apart from your peers.

I will say that being certified/advanced certified in QBD has been a huge help for me.  Most of my clients are on QBD.  I work with a lot of business owners that have multiple companies.  As an example, one client of mine has about 14 (and counting) real estate holding companies.  I can support them with one copy of QBD vs. 14 instances of QBO, so it makes financial sense for them to be on QBD.  Some of my other clients have inventory needs that are best suited for QB Enterprise.  Knowing the functionality of QBD and where it may excel compared to QBO and vice versa has helped me make good business/financial decisions for my client.  I run my own business on QBO because I have a lean set up; one bank account and one credit card.  Bank feeds make the accounting for my company so simple and that's the main reason I'm on QBO.  Knowing the strengths and limitations and how to overcome them with each software is ideal, but you have to start somewhere and that's where @lynda 's advice is spot on.

Also, prior to contacting me, some of my clients have already decided between QBO or QBD.  In some instances I advise them to switch based on their business needs.  If a client hasn't chosen QBO or QBD yet, I do a needs assessment to determine which one would be best and tell/show them why.  They appreciate the assessment as many times they  simply don't know what would be best for them.

Hope this helps!

Scott

ProAdvisor

Hi Kathy,

The choice to become a QuickBooks ProAdvisor is one that you will never regret. Appreciating that time is a commodity that most of us do not have enough of, my suggestion may seem a bit odd at first.

From a marketing perspective, I recommend finishing the following certifications:

1: QuickBooks Online Advanced

2: QuickBooks Desktop (advanced takes 2 years)

3: QuickBooks Point of Sale

If you are just getting started as a bookkeeper or an accountant, then you are likely looking to bring on new clients.  The QuickBooks ProAdvisor search algorithm uses your certifications as an important part of where you appear in the search results.  More certs, especially advanced certs mean you will be more visible.  Don't forget that QuickBooks Desktop has a built-in link to the Find-A-ProAdvisor page that desktop users access every single day!  At this time there are still 250,000 Desktop subscriptions sold every quarter, and with the continued QuickBooks Online and Intuit Payroll price increases, I expect there will be a resurgence in desktop subscriptions from some individuals. 

Once you have all your Intuit Badges, there are a couple more certs that I recommend you also obtaining. (This may be the unpopular part)

4: Xero

5: FreshBooks

Every year I dedicate time to keep up on all the accounting platforms and to maintain my certifications with all the big players. As a workflow consultant, it is my responsibility to master my primary program as well as know how the competition software works to be able to talk about it intelligently.  More importantly, I want my company name to be found by people who are researching multiple platforms. 

Finally, I also recommend earning your certifications with the following programs:

6: T-Sheets

7: Hubdoc

8: Bill.com

In conclusion, I agree that it is important to master one environment and for Parkway Business Solutions that choice is QuickBooks Online.  If you truly see yourself working in a cloud-based environment, focus on your advanced certification first then follow up with desktop.  If you approach the cert processes like school and just spend a couple hours per week, you will finish my whole list in no time and have multiple companies promoting your new company for you!

BTW... If you ever have any questions or good brain puzzles that you would like another perspective on, I am always happy to help. Send me a private message and I will be happy to share my contact information and even set up a time to share some of my personal tips and tricks.

14 Comments
Community Host

Hey @KathyHolt,

Thanks for reaching out. Yes, ProAdvisors are still definitely a thriving group for the Desktop product here in the US, though I am not sure if there are many of them over in the UK.

It may be difficult to find information about QuickBooks Desktop in the UK because the product isn't as well supported over there compared to QuickBooks Online. You might also have a difficult time finding a recent release of the product from an official retailer.

What is encouraging you to make the change? Is it to diversify your offerings to clients? 

Community Contributor *

Hmmm, I must have inadvertently clicked on something because I am definitely in the United States.  I am just starting out and I guess I want to be as well rounded as I can to provide service for any new clients I might encounter.  I know that the trend is to move everything online.  I feel like I still need to have at least some familiarity with Desktop to do a conversion properly.  Right now I have zero exposure to the Desktop version.

Community Host

Hey Kathy (@KathyHolt),

No problem, I will move this message to the US board. 

I think you definitely have the right idea in building out your skillset, and the more you can offer to clients, the more appealing your consultations will be.

There may be a trend towards online, but there are still lots of folks who prefer and plan to stick with the Desktop version. The programs serve different types of customers who need certain features - Desktop has far more features but is more difficult for businesses with simple accounting or are brand new to the concept. 

In addition to this community ( @ScottMeisterCPA@lynda@ParkwayInc@Raywhite28 may want to weigh in with their perspectives), YouTube is a great resource to learn the many features of QuickBooks Desktop. 

ProAdvisor

I will probably receive a lot of flack for writing this but if I were going to advise someone starting out as a ProAdvisor, I would tell you to ditch the ideas of getting certified in QB desktop and stick with Online.  As James mentioned, the trend is there.  I can honestly count on one hand how many people call me that are on desktop.  It is a very low percentage. And most call me about converting to Online version.   I would recommend certifying in online and then work towards the Advanced certification and putting your efforts into learning more advisory skills to offer to your clients.

ProAdvisor

@KathyHolt here's a link to the program for Desktop...scroll to the bottom of the page: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/accountants/proadvisor/

I'm advanced certified in both.  I'm more comfortable in QBD just because it's what I've used for years.  I agree with @lynda that you should learn QBO, get certified, advanced certified, and enhance your advisory skills.  Advisory skills will help set you apart from your peers.

I will say that being certified/advanced certified in QBD has been a huge help for me.  Most of my clients are on QBD.  I work with a lot of business owners that have multiple companies.  As an example, one client of mine has about 14 (and counting) real estate holding companies.  I can support them with one copy of QBD vs. 14 instances of QBO, so it makes financial sense for them to be on QBD.  Some of my other clients have inventory needs that are best suited for QB Enterprise.  Knowing the functionality of QBD and where it may excel compared to QBO and vice versa has helped me make good business/financial decisions for my client.  I run my own business on QBO because I have a lean set up; one bank account and one credit card.  Bank feeds make the accounting for my company so simple and that's the main reason I'm on QBO.  Knowing the strengths and limitations and how to overcome them with each software is ideal, but you have to start somewhere and that's where @lynda 's advice is spot on.

Also, prior to contacting me, some of my clients have already decided between QBO or QBD.  In some instances I advise them to switch based on their business needs.  If a client hasn't chosen QBO or QBD yet, I do a needs assessment to determine which one would be best and tell/show them why.  They appreciate the assessment as many times they  simply don't know what would be best for them.

Hope this helps!

Scott

Community Contributor *

@Scott 

Thank you!  This helps a lot!  I have already completed my QBO certification.  However, I still have a lot to learn because I had no prior QuickBooks experience.  I agree that knowing Desktop will be valuable even if it's just to know where to find things to do a QBO conversion.  I am going to go for it!  Thank you for all of your advice.  Now I just need the clients to justify it but that's a different topic. Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

ProAdvisor

Hi Kathy,

The choice to become a QuickBooks ProAdvisor is one that you will never regret. Appreciating that time is a commodity that most of us do not have enough of, my suggestion may seem a bit odd at first.

From a marketing perspective, I recommend finishing the following certifications:

1: QuickBooks Online Advanced

2: QuickBooks Desktop (advanced takes 2 years)

3: QuickBooks Point of Sale

If you are just getting started as a bookkeeper or an accountant, then you are likely looking to bring on new clients.  The QuickBooks ProAdvisor search algorithm uses your certifications as an important part of where you appear in the search results.  More certs, especially advanced certs mean you will be more visible.  Don't forget that QuickBooks Desktop has a built-in link to the Find-A-ProAdvisor page that desktop users access every single day!  At this time there are still 250,000 Desktop subscriptions sold every quarter, and with the continued QuickBooks Online and Intuit Payroll price increases, I expect there will be a resurgence in desktop subscriptions from some individuals. 

Once you have all your Intuit Badges, there are a couple more certs that I recommend you also obtaining. (This may be the unpopular part)

4: Xero

5: FreshBooks

Every year I dedicate time to keep up on all the accounting platforms and to maintain my certifications with all the big players. As a workflow consultant, it is my responsibility to master my primary program as well as know how the competition software works to be able to talk about it intelligently.  More importantly, I want my company name to be found by people who are researching multiple platforms. 

Finally, I also recommend earning your certifications with the following programs:

6: T-Sheets

7: Hubdoc

8: Bill.com

In conclusion, I agree that it is important to master one environment and for Parkway Business Solutions that choice is QuickBooks Online.  If you truly see yourself working in a cloud-based environment, focus on your advanced certification first then follow up with desktop.  If you approach the cert processes like school and just spend a couple hours per week, you will finish my whole list in no time and have multiple companies promoting your new company for you!

BTW... If you ever have any questions or good brain puzzles that you would like another perspective on, I am always happy to help. Send me a private message and I will be happy to share my contact information and even set up a time to share some of my personal tips and tricks.

Community Contributor *

More valuable information.  Thanks so much! 

It looks like I am on the right path.  I have already gotten the cert for Hubdoc, I am working towards but have not yet completed Xero and Bill.com.  

You answered my most pressing question which was what order do I do things in:  QBDT or QBO Advanced.  I just wasn't sure if I would be able to do the Advanced without first knowing Desktop.

Thank you to all that have chimed in on this discussion.  I truly appreciate it.

Community Host

@KathyHolt,

I am so glad you've gotten such sound feedback from the experts. I am not a ProAdvisor, but I've worked in many industries and understand the need for a diverse skillset (I went from teaching grade school to teaching humanities at university to managing operations to working in tech). 

On a most basic level, I believe most people are enthused by consultants who can offer a breadth of services with a diverse skillset because (a) the consultant has what's needed to get the job done and (b) it's likely that they will have a more rounded perspective of the entire process end-to-end and thus provide more valuable knowledge, which ultimately makes me more confident about my success.

@hectorgarciacpa talks a lot about the importance of Value Pricing via Ron Baker in today's market. If you haven't seen his stuff, I highly recommend checking it out: 

I do not agree with Lynda.  I work consistently with both Desktop and Online.  I and many others I know including some QB techs all prefer the Desktop for better reporting, more options, less cost & general ease.  Too often my online clients get confused, as it is not always as easy to someone just starting out.  If a client is small and has no service where they need to type invoices in the field then WHY have them do online where they have to pay monthly when they can buy the program outright.  One year of online way surpasses the cost of buying outright.   Just saying.  Now if they would make the online version just like the desktop then it would be well worth it !!!

ProAdvisor

Hi @Robn:  We can agree to disagree.  That is why they have chocolate and vanilla.  I have a colleague that loves desktop because she works with non-profits.  I just prefer with my client base to be 100% QBO.  I love the automation piece of it.  My client's appreciate the portability of the program as well as not having data file issues and such that can come with Desktop.

I also used to give them my wholesale discount but that will be ending with the new policy.  

Lynda 

Community Host

@Robn,

Good insight and glad to hear differing experiences. I am one of those "techs" who prefers Desktop by a narrow margin and for a very specific reason. However, the next generation of entrepreneurs and accountants are on their way, folks raised with the sensibilities of the internet and "online" user-interfaces. I grew up with Windows 3.0 and learned online as I got older, which probably informs my preference a bit. 

In my mind, they are two fairly different products that offer very different feature-sets and advantages. I prefer localized software, some people prefer the cloud. To offer an alternative perspective, if you wanted the online functionality for Desktop, your cost will exceed the Online subscription. 

Established Community Backer ***

Nobody addressed the elephant in the room. You cannot get desktop certified in the US unless you shell out $349 each year (subject to change) for the ProDeluxe program (which includes Desktop Accountant software that some of us do not yet need) https://quickbooks.intuit.com/accountants/proadvisor/ while in the UK there appears to be no charge - although they won't let navigate to get the exam to see if there is an exam fee. https://quickbooks.intuit.com/uk/accountants/desktop-training-certification/

ProAdvisor

@john-pero:  on my walk the other day, it occurred to me that I no longer will need to shell out that $350/yr.  Why would I?  I don't use desktop except for conversions and they give you free software for that too.  So, how many of there out there like me that just purchased it to keep up the certification and NOT lose that hard work and many hours devoted to passing the first advanced test?  So, Intuit will lose on that end.  

Yet desktop is still pretty popular.  I know the test costs money to keep it out there, but it makes you wonder how many of us bothered to take it.  And for me, the lead generation is dead as a door nail.  I live very close to the gulf of Mexico in a small town.  When they changed the default to 10 miles, it killed the Find a ProAvisor lead generation.  2 miles to my west is water.  10 miles around my office is homes.  

For what it's worth, that's my 2 cents.  As far as the Advanced Cert goes, I look at it as a learning experience and I have Diamond team support, which is invaluable.

Lynda