cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hammer0865
Level 1

Hotel reservations and merging with quick books online

Hello, my name is Steve and I am in the process of buying a small hotel with 14 rooms and 20 campsites. 

Does anyone use this for a small hotel?

I know that QBOL will not work as a reservation system but I have some questions:

Is there a way to merge the reservations from my online website into quick books online to get detailed information by room and cost? Different rates for certain days and also different months.

Can I also do it with the camp sites?

Or how must I set up quickbooks online to do this for invoicing and payments?

Than ks for your help in advance

13 Comments 13
WillowOlder
Level 5

Hi and welcome, @Hammer0865! Congratulations on your hotel purchase. Where is it based? I hope you'll keep us posted on this exciting business opportunity. @Anonymous, @LisaNullar, perhaps can you point Steve in the right direction for answers to his QBO questions? Thanks!

MorganB
Content Leader

Hey there Hammer0865,

Welcome to the Community. I'd be glad to offer my assistance.

Merging your website data with your QuickBooks Online account would depend on the website you're currently using. If you use Shopify or BigCommerce, these will certainly integrate with your QuickBooks account. You'll find them here in the app center: https://apps.intuit.com/.

If you're using a website that was created specifically for the hotel, I'd recommend leaving a feedback message for our product development team. Many new features come directly from customer comments and suggestions. You can submit yours here: http://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/.

You could use the invoicing function to send the reservation amounts to your customers. It may be beneficial to also check out QuickBooks Payments. Payments would allow you to set up a Merchant Center that is connected to your Online account. Your customers would be able to pay you online directly through the invoice. Information regarding setting up Payments can be found here: https://community.intuit.com/browse/quickBooks-online-payments.

I wish you the best of luck with your new business. I'm only a post away if you have any other questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Hammer0865,

That sounds like an awesome venture - are you focusing on summer or year-round?

What volume are you anticipating for the coming year? Are you currently using a third-party app to handle reservations on your website? You can definitely make all those customizations (rates, product details, pricing rules by date) to individual Product & Service items in QuickBooks, but automating the process with your existing set up may be tricky depending on what software you're using.

There's an app in the QuickBooks App Store called Checkfront that integrates directly with QuickBooks. Unfortunately, I have never used the app so I can't give you a fair assessment. Check it out and let me know if that could be a solution! 

Does anyone else have experience connecting reservation tools with QuickBooks?

ASI2018
Level 1

Hello MorganB,

I have a question from same business domain and if you could help. I am posting my every day revenue and collection as journal entry in QB. Here I want to also post some of room statics in QB, this way management can just look at QB for all business details. Can you suggest what is the best way to post statistical data in QB Following are the example of what I want to post in

QB: Rooms Sold Rooms Sold - Complimentary Out of Order Rooms (Rooms in Maintenance) Thanks.

MorganB
Content Leader

Hey, ASI2018.

Thanks for reaching out. I'd like to help point you in the right direction.

At this time there isn't a way to specifically post statistical data, such as hotel room status, within QuickBooks. However, I think you've got a great idea. I recommend leaving a message for the Product Development Team to let them know you'd like to be able to add this info into your account. This can be done directly through QB by clicking the Gear icon in the top right corner, then Feedback.

Keep up the great work and let me know if you have any other questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @ASI2018

Thank you for reaching out to the community. While it sounds like you have a good system going, I would recommend against using Journal Entries for recording daily revenue. JEs are really meant for making adjustments and corrections to accounts. 

Instead, whenever you receive a payment for a room, you should record the transaction as a Sales Receipt. You can then receive those payments into designated income accounts - you could name it "room sold" or get even more detailed like "deluxe room - holiday rate." You can always choose which account you want to receive money into as you create the Sales Receipt. 

Do the same for expense accounts - create unique ones for utilities, maintenance, etc. Enter these as expenses in QuickBooks. You can also create asset accounts for things like room supplies, towels, and other items you use to provide services to customers. There's a basic overview of this process in QuickBooks Online – The Big Picture

As a next project, write out a list of all the types of (1) income you receive on a daily basis, (2) assets you use to run your business (current and non-current) and (3) your regular expenses. It will be much easier to structure your workflow once you know exactly what you need to account for. If you organize the data end-to-end, you should be able to generate detail reports to give you an idea of rates, frequency of customer stays, and the total profit your hotel is making. 

jecalderon
Level 5

Steve @Hammer0865 ,  Wanted to follow up with your project. I have a similar enterprise and like to other user experiences in this related area.  Also, did you considered QB Desktop for these task?

The reason I mention this is that a hotel accounting relies largely in payment authorization holds and credit card voulting to secure the client credit card information for previous to arrival.  I think this may be best suited for a system that handles these types of transactions then sync with Quickbooks Online or Desktop.  Room daily, room Air B&B , restaurant, parking, activity rentals and other side activities will not fit very well into the traditional service/retail model of QB Online. But fortunely, QBO and QBD are very open allowing specialty apps integrate. I hope you are doing well  and , please, share your experiences in this areas. 

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@jecalderon 

Consider having a hotel management app for your client. It provides many specific features for the industry and integrate it with your QB (Desktop or Online).

Hammer0865
Level 1

So sorry, I did not see your post from years ago. Located in Northwest Michigan on Lake Michigan.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

seugnet
Level 1

Unfortunately, it is an absolute nightmare to record hotel sales using receipts. A journal entry still works best even though it is not ideal. Quickbooks does not have any easy solution or functionality for advance deposits.

4Gal
Level 10

seugnet
Level 1

Thank you! 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us