Highlighted
5 Comments
QuickBooks Team
Re: Switching accounts

Hey there troyloper,

Welcome to the Community. I'm glad to help point you in the right direction with your QuickBooks Self-Employed account.

There's always the option to unsubscribe from the Self-Employed version and then subscribe to the Online version. While this can be done, there isn't a way to transfer your current data from one account to the other.

If you'd like to be able to send information from Self-Employed to Online, I recommend leaving feedback for the product development team. You can do so by following this link: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/commerce/common/fragments/feedback.jsp. This is the best way to let them know that transferring your data is important to you.

I wish you continued success. I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to about QuickBooks.

Community Contributor *

I have the same question. I am not so concerned with transferring data records as I am fouling my bank account access.  Should I disconnect the accounts in the QBSE prior to setup in QB Online? 

QuickBooks Team

Glad you dropped by the Community space, jvanspyker.

Allow me to address your concern about disconnecting your bank accounts connected in QBSE before setting up QuickBooks Online.

Since these two are completely different QuickBooks version. The option to directly import nor transfer your information and data is not possible.

What you can do is to download a .CSV file for your transactions and import them to QuickBooks Online. You can check out this article for additional information: https://selfemployed.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/453178.

With that being said, it's best to disconnect the bank accounts after setting up your QBO account and have all the downloadable transactions imported. Once everything is set up under the new account, you can proceed in canceling the QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription.

Let me know if there's anything else you need. I'll be right here to help. Have a good one!

Senior Explorer **

I agree with most of what everyone said, except for one thing.

You CAN export a CSV file from QBSE and then import that file into QBO to bring your bank transactions in if you need to.  You will still have to review them and make sure the accounts match but you can import them.  I would recommend giving it a try to see if it looks like it will work, if you don't like it you can always erase your QBO file and reset it the beginning of the setup within 60 days.  (Provided you have QBO Essentials or QBO Plus)

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145429-how-do-i-delete-all-my-data-and-start-over-from-scratch-us-only

Community Host

Hey @troyloper and @jvanspyker,

Glad to see you're making the jump! In addition to what @DesertMarshall said, if you are planning to do the CSV transfer, I would disconnect banking in QBSE, transfer to QBO, import your transactions via CSV and then reconnect your banks. Make sure you know the dates when QBSE stopped importing and when QBO started importing.

The online banking feature in QBO should be able to "match" your existing records from the CSV so you won't have to reenter them. You'll know the date when QBSE stopped pulling transactions so anything beyond that date will be new data. Here's a bit more on Online Banking in QBO:

I'd also highly recommend printing a P&L report from both QBSE and QBO to compare their totals to make sure all your data came over. 

Hope this helps!

@ktingey might also have some insight to share.