cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Host

How to Adjust Column Width (and Edit Descriptions) for Invoices and Sales Forms in QuickBooks Online

Adjust width sales form QuickBooks Online 1.png

You’ve put some great work into designing your invoice, carefully selecting the logo and color-scheme that best matches your brand. Make sure you spend an equal amount of energy designing the overall layout.

Many QuickBooks users like to provide long item names and detailed descriptions to their customers. This requires you to make modest adjustments to the width of the columns on your sales forms (invoices, estimates, sales receipts).

These simple layout adjustments let you have more control over how you present information to clients. Think of your sales form as an extension of your brand and your business card – you want it to look clean and professional to perpetually leave a great impression.

Here’s how to adjust column width for sales forms

• Start by clicking the Gear Icon and selecting Custom Form Styles. Since you’ll be adjusting columns for an existing invoice template, click the “edit” option from the expandable drop-down. You can, of course, follow this same method when creating a new template.

• Jump right into the “Content” tab. There will be a faded invoice form on the right with three sections and small “edit” pencil icons in the corner. 

Adjust width sales form QuickBooks Online 2.png

• Select the middle section and a customization menu will appear on the left. Directly to the right of the “Columns” header is blue “Edit Labels and Widths” subtitle (not a button). Click on the title and a new set of options will display.

Adjust width sales form QuickBooks Online 3.png

• Use the sliders to position and adjust the width of each column.

Here’s the semi-tricky part -- you have to adjust each column relative to the others. In other words, you won’t be able to make adjustments to the Description column if the Quantity or Rate column are taking up the majority of space. Shrink the other columns down first to make room, then make your desired adjustments.

• You can rename columns or remove unnecessary data fields from your sales forms by unchecking the boxes next to the names.

These subtle touches give invoices and estimates a cleaner, more professional appearance while providing your customers with just the information that matters (and no more).

QBO-Column-adjustment.gif

Striking a balance between functional minimalism and impact-driven design can be challenging. But in our digital age, when customers are bombarded with information, it’s necessary to stand out -- visually -- from the clutter in every overloaded inbox.

To learn how you can have a greater impact with invoices, check our best practices articles:

Now it’s your turn

What is top of mind for you when you design an invoice or estimate form?

8 Comments
Experienced Member

Re: How to Adjust Column Width (and Edit Descriptions) for Invoices and Sales Forms in QuickBooks Online

Why doesn't the text formatting within the column also adjust?  I've widened my description column out to the maximum and the text still wraps itself into a very narrow block.  It looks really stupid when I've added one or two sentences and the text block is taller than it is wide.  Very frustrated with this look.

QuickBooks Team

Re: How to Adjust Column Width (and Edit Descriptions) for Invoices and Sales Forms in QuickBooks...

Hi, Western.

Thank you for letting me know what's going on with the columns on your Invoices and Sales Forms.

I'll be sure to pass along your request to see more customization within the program for these forms. I also invite you to leave feedback for the Product Development Team and let them know about the changes you'd like to see made. This can be done directly through your account by clicking the Gear icon in the top right corner, then select Feedback.

I wish you and your business continued success. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Community Host

Re: How to Adjust Column Width (and Edit Descriptions) for Invoices and Sales Forms in QuickBooks Online

Hey @Western,

Have you adjusted the adjacent columns as well? The width is reactive to the other columns around it, so if one is taking up space positionally, it will still squeeze others out.

Also, have you tried removing extraneous columns to give your description column some more room? 

Getting Started with QuickBooks Online

Community Contributor *

This is intensely frustrating. Adjusting the activity column only resizes the description column relative to it. Adjusting description automatically adjusts quantity, but I can't adjust quantity from the minimum size until description is reduced - but then moving quantity back to minimum adjusts the rate size! Adjusting rate only adjusts amount, and vice versa. How can I get qty, rate, AND amount to all be at their minimum sizes?

QuickBooks Team

Re: How to Adjust Column Width (and Edit Descriptions) for Invoices and Sales Forms in QuickBooks...

Hey, Felderburg.

Thanks for following up on this thread and letting me know how the columns have been affected in your QuickBooks Online account. I want to make sure you're able to customize the invoices and sales forms to make them look the way you want.

The Product Development Team is constantly working to improve QuickBooks and make it even better for you as the customer. I'll share your feedback with them to let them know about the changes you'd like to see made.

Keep an eye out for product updates and releases here at the QuickBooks Blog: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/.

I wish you and your business continued success. I'll be here if you have any other questions.

Community Host

Hey @Felderburg,

Just wanted to clarify, do you want them all to be the same small size? Which columns do you want to be larger? 

Since columns are relative to each other, set Date to 14, Rate to 8, QTY to 8, and Amount to 15 so they all appear red. Then, adjust the Product and Activity fields as needed since these generally need the most space. 

Column width.gif

Hope this helps!

Community Contributor *

I want Quantity, Rate, and Amount to be the smallest size. I am not using Date.

The problem is that I can't adjust Amount to be any smaller. Currently, Quantity and Rate are at their minimum, size 8; Amount is at 25. I am unable to change Amount to be smaller.

When I make Description smaller, it moves Quantity up, and when I change Description back to where it was, it moves Quantity back to 8, which becomes highlighted in red. This seems to be working as it should.

HOWEVER if I leave Description at its smaller size, with Quantity increased, decreasing the size of Quantity does not increase Description back to its former size - it only increases Rate. And if I try to decrease the size of Rate, it changes the width of Amount!

I don't understand why adjusting certain sliders only affects the slider next to it unilaterally, or why I can't select certain sliders to be at minimum and have the remainder automatically adjust.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Felderburg.

Thanks for providing us with the complete details of what you've done so far. I'm here to share some information about adjusting column width in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Yes, you're correct! Adjusting certain sliders will affect the slider next to it unilaterally. The total width for all the columns is 100, that's why when you adjust one of them, the slider next to it will automatically adjust to balance the total width.

The minimum width that you can adjust to the Quantity, Rate, and Amount columns are 8,8, and 15. Please see the screenshot below.

Sample screenshot.png

I can see how adjusting these columns depending on the owner's preference would be helpful for you and your business and I encourage you to submit feedback. These requests and suggestions are forwarded to the Product Development Team for consideration in future updates.

You can submit this from within QuickBooks Online by selecting the Gear icon and Feedback or by going to the following link: https://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/. I'm going to submit feedback from my side as well.

Thanks for being a part of our QuickBooks family. Please know that I'm only a post away if you need anything else.