cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Explorer **
Solved

How to do these 2 things with custom fields?

I am using Desktop Premier 2018.    

Problem: When doing my receiving, I do not recall where each inventory item needs to go. I would like to more immediately see which aisle and bin number the product goes in. Currently, I am using a Custom Field for this, but this is 2-3 clicks away from my work flow window, which is usally the Bill window. I'd like to be able to more quickly see where the product's physical location is while doing my receiving.

My Current Slow & Clunky Process:

I have created a custom field for my inventory items called "PHYSICAL LOCATION."

Example #1: When I click the "Inventory" shortcut and I am looking at an inventory item, I see the "Inventory Information" screen on the right side, which shows me things like cost, preferred vendor, vendor sku, etc. But the item's aisle and bin number does not show here. And the custom field does not show here either. I am forced to click on 2 more things before I can see the custom field entry. Surely there is a way that can show me this information quicker, such as when I'm viewing the inventory item. But how?

Example #2: And this one would be even more useful. When I am doing my receiving and I have the bill window open, I would like to see the aisle and bin number displayed somewhere in the bill, on each line item. If only I could get my custom field to show here. Is there a solution?

--------------

Side-issue: If I am receiving a PO, the way I typically do this is via "Receive Inventory With the Bill." But this process is not very flexible. I like to receive 1 sku at a time. In the Bill window I can only receive all the items at the same time. If I try and report multiple item receipts, QB wants me to pay each one separate, but I paid the whole PO all at once, not in portions.

Example: I purchase sku 1, sku 2, sku 3, and sku 4. I paid the vendor $5,000. Days later, it's time to receive the PO because the shipments have arrived. I want to receive sku 1, 2, 3 and 4 separately because that is how I process them into inventory. But I can't. So if sku 2 is missing a few units, there's no way for me to notate this during my work flow; I have to try to remember how many units were missing and of which skus, and then somehow fix that at the end of receiving.  And I never did yet figure out how to do this. If I paid for 50 units sku 3, but 2 units were missing, but I already paid for them, how do I enter that I received 48 units but paid for 50 units, into QB?

Best answer 04-19-2019 02:40 PM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: How to do these 2 things with custom fields?

I appreciate you providing detailed information about your concern, @CuriousCookie.

Inventory and creating bills are my expertise. Allow me to step in and share some insights.

You have the option to add custom fields for your items specifically for their aisle and bin number. Once they're all set up, you can add those columns on the inventory list.

I'll show you how:

1. On the top menu, click Inventory and choose Item lists.
  2. Double-click the item to update its information.
  3. Select the Custom Fields tab.
  4. Click Define Fields.
  5. Set up the Bin number and other fields you wish to add.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Enter the Bin number.
  8. Click OK again to save the changes.
    1.JPG

Going back to the item list window, here's how to add the Bin Number column:

1. Right-click on your mouse, choose Customize Columns.
  2. Highlight Bin number and click Add>.
  3. Click OK to save changes.
    2.JPG

However, we can't add custom fields and columns on the Bill window for now. You'll have to print your item list or opening the list to have a reference.

For your Receive Inventory With the Bill concern, you're correct. The Bill window will require you to select the items with its quantity. Modifying it to only 1 SKU or staggered isn't available. If you wish to change the PO information, just create a separate bill transaction. For more details, you can check this link: Accounts Payable workflows in QuickBooks Desktop.

I want to let you know that I'm taking note of your feedback and suggestions to improve the experience we're providing. 

Keep me posted on how these steps work out for you. I'll be here to keep helping, just leave a comment for me. Take care always.

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: How to do these 2 things with custom fields?

I appreciate you providing detailed information about your concern, @CuriousCookie.

Inventory and creating bills are my expertise. Allow me to step in and share some insights.

You have the option to add custom fields for your items specifically for their aisle and bin number. Once they're all set up, you can add those columns on the inventory list.

I'll show you how:

1. On the top menu, click Inventory and choose Item lists.
  2. Double-click the item to update its information.
  3. Select the Custom Fields tab.
  4. Click Define Fields.
  5. Set up the Bin number and other fields you wish to add.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Enter the Bin number.
  8. Click OK again to save the changes.
    1.JPG

Going back to the item list window, here's how to add the Bin Number column:

1. Right-click on your mouse, choose Customize Columns.
  2. Highlight Bin number and click Add>.
  3. Click OK to save changes.
    2.JPG

However, we can't add custom fields and columns on the Bill window for now. You'll have to print your item list or opening the list to have a reference.

For your Receive Inventory With the Bill concern, you're correct. The Bill window will require you to select the items with its quantity. Modifying it to only 1 SKU or staggered isn't available. If you wish to change the PO information, just create a separate bill transaction. For more details, you can check this link: Accounts Payable workflows in QuickBooks Desktop.

I want to let you know that I'm taking note of your feedback and suggestions to improve the experience we're providing. 

Keep me posted on how these steps work out for you. I'll be here to keep helping, just leave a comment for me. Take care always.