Can someone advise how to refund a customer payment to allow payment via a different method? I can see the steps outlined as shown below:
1.From the Customers menu, choose Create Credit Memos/Refunds. In the Customer:job field, enter the customer name. Choose the item and enter the amount. Select Save & Close. In the Available Credit window that appears, select Give a refund then choose OK. In the Issue a Refund window, enter the amount and select the appropriate payment method for the refund.
2.Make sure Process credit card refund when saving is: Checked: If the payment still needs to be processed online. Unchecked:
3. If there is no need to process the payment online or if it has already been processed. Select OK.
4.Delete the Credit Memo associated with the refund. This will un-link the two transactions. Locate and double-click the Credit Memo. On your keyboard, press Ctrl+D. Select OK when you get the Delete Transaction prompt.
5.Go to the original payment, uncheck the invoice and check the refund. This will link the payment to the refund and leave the invoice open. Pay the original invoice using the replacement or new payment method. However, it is not clear what item I should use when creating the credit memo in step 1 (see bolded text above). Can someone advise?
Understanding these steps is essential so you can create a credit memo or issue a refund to your customer. Don't worry, I'll clear this up for you.
Great job finding the steps on how to refund a customer payment! I can see how you're unclear about what the "Item" field refers to in Step 1. The Item field is where you'll select the items from the initial invoice that you're refunding (ie. products and services).
In regards to paying via a different payment method, you're able to simply delete the payment and re-post it using the correct payment method. The steps for this will vary depending on which version of Desktop you're using. If you're unsure how to do this, I'd encourage you to reach out to our Desktop phone support team, available 24/7 at 877-772-9158.
If you have any other questions, let me know.
What do you mean by different method? For instance: Did he pay with a check and now wants to cash or EFT?
If that is the case:
1) Open the Receive Payments window and find the payment
2) If it is in the current fiscal year, change the Payment Method as needed. Save the new payment transaction to the Undeposited Funds account.
3) Find and open the Deposit where the original payment was deposited and delete the payment from the Deposit slip. Don't save the Deposit yet....
4) Click the Payments icon at the top of the Deposit screen, select the New Payment and save the Deposit. Note that the Deposit amount has not changed so there will be no need to re-reconcile your Bank Statement.