cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Link an invoice with another invoice

Is there a way we can linked an invoice with another invoice. Like let say you have one invoice for a customer to pay you a set amount at the end of each month and you happen to do more for the customer and you want to add It to that total or give them a credit for the jobs, but with out messing up the first invoice. So I need to link one invoice to another. Sorry for any confusion and thank you in advance for the help.

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Link an invoice with another invoice

It's nice to have you here today, @Slimrich,

Great question! I can share some information about linking multiple invoices in QuickBooks Online.

Being able to do this would be helpful to keep track of your income the easier way. However, this feature is currently unavailable in our program. As a workaround, you have the option to create statements in QBO to send the current customer's balance alongside with their transactions. To do that:

1. Click the Plus icon and choose Statement.
  2. On the Create Statements window, choose Balance Forward for the Statement Type.
  3. In the Customer Balance Status, choose Open.
  4. Update the Statement DateStart Date, and End Date.
  5. Mark the customer you want to create the statements for.
  6. Click Save and Send.

statement3.PNG

To know more about creating statements, please check out this article:  Create and manage statements

You can also customize your invoice style to include the customer balance. Follow these steps: 

1. Click the Gear icon.
  2. Choose Custom Form Styles.
  3. Click Edit on the template you're using.
  4. Select the Content tab.
  5. Click the middle section of the template on the right.
  6. In the Account summary section, mark the Show on invoice box.
  7. Click Done.

That should display the Balance forward amount or the running customer balance on your sales transactions.

You might want to check this article to know more about customizing sales templates in QBO: How to customize invoices, estimates, and sales receipts

Please update me on how it goes. I'm here to help you should you need further assistance with QuickBooks. Have a great day!

Experienced Member

Thank you for the response. How can I unlock it through quickbooks online to be able to link the invoice together.

QuickBooks Team

Hi Slimrich,

I've got some good news for you! While @Jen_D's answer is considerable, I've found a much easier option that will help you keep track of your customer's balance in newly created invoices. Let me share more details and get you started.

Here's how:

1. Click Gear.
  2. Click Custom Form Styles.
  3. Choose the invoice template and then click Edit.
  4. Click the Content tab. Then, click the middle Pencil icon of the invoice.
  5. Under Account summary, put a mark next to Show on invoice.
  6. Click Done.

The Account Summary will now appear on invoices with a previous balance. But won't appear if customer's don't have previous balance.

You can check out this article for more details: Account Summary on an invoice.

Feel free to read this helpful for your reference: How to record a customer payment.

Please leave a comment below if you need help with anything else. Thanks for posting.

invoiceaccountsummary.JPG