I have recently joined the quickbooks online community (previously used desktop). Upon doing the conversion I was advised to move the sub-contractors to projects so that we can use job costing. On conversion it also moved all of my customers and suppliers from inactive to active.
I figured out that billable time had caused a number of these items to set to active again (annoying but manageable) so after spending time categorizing I then discovered that any customer with a project on it (even if the status is complete) means I cannot mark the customer inactive - particularly frustrating when you have many one time customers.
I am now thinking that the most appropriate way to combat this is to move everything back to sub-customer but it raises some questions. Can I run an alternative job costing report using sub-customers? Does anyone know of an easy way to do this as to move each individual transaction will take days? The other option is to 'delete' all of the old projects and then focus on moving the current ones back to sub-customer, can anyone tell me what happens if I do delete a project?
In case the question is asked, I have spoken with both the online chat and raised a number of feedback requests at various stages of my project journey!
Can i ask you to Private Message me your Company ID Number so i can verify that everything that could have been done on your account is being done? I have been able to replicate the issue you are describing, and i have found an investigation to add your account too.
Do you have any of the customers you're trying to make Inactive set up as sub customers, and have projects against them as sub customers?
No we have stuck to one level in the hierarchy at the moment but this is something that I would look to do.
To confirm, one parent to one or more projects.
I'll message the company ID separately
Could the solution to this issue be publicized? I'm having a similar issue where one parent has multiple projects, most with unique billing addresses, so I need to set up a new sub-customer for each address, then move existing projects to the respective sub-customer.
It’s nice to see you here in the Community, triciajz.
Thanks for letting us know the issue you’re experiencing when changing the project status from active to inactive.
Our engineers are currently investigating and working towards finding a permanent solution. While waiting for the fix, we’ll need to add your company to the notification list to receive email updates.
Since we’re unable to gather personal details in the Community for security reasons, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Online Support Team. You can reach them through the following link:
If there's anything else that I can help you with, keeep me posted by leaving a comment below. I'd be glad to assist you further.