cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ob
Solved

Pdf Conversion to QBO

I just bought quick book for my business and I have 12 months bank statements in pdf format that I would like to convert to qbo.  is there a software out there that can do that cheaply.

Best answer 02-26-2018 04:17 PM

Accepted Solutions
Senior Explorer **

Re: Pdf Conversion to QBO

I have used both "PDF2QBO" programs by MoneyThumb and by Propersoft.... I would say Propersoft at $49 vs $59 for MoneyThumbs is a better deal.

But I think thank MoneyThumb has a couple of extra features...  Eitherway, they are both great.  Propersoft's was the first one I used, and I use to promote it a lot through my blog (not to mention a few affiliate payments I got); but I moved to MoneyThumb because of the PDF technology they have, which is the strongest in the market at the moment SPECIFICALLY for bank statements.  Their PDF2QBO, PDF2CSV, and 2qbo Converter Pro products are the best in the market for converting bank and credit card statements specifically.

Other programs like Able2Extract and PDF2XL are actually much more POWERFUL general conversion software, but are not designed for bank statements exclusively, so there is too much "clean-up" and finagling within the software to make these tools useful for bank statement conversion.

Lastly there is Personable's ScanWriter, which is enterprise-level bank  statement to csv/quickbooks conversion... the strongest contender, but the cost is a bit prohibitive for small firms and small businesses at about $1,000 initial investment plus $49 a month per company.

You can e-mail me anytime about this ([email address removed]).   I may be one of the handful of CPA/ProAdvisors that actually has used ALL these technologies in practice in the last decade.

27 Comments
Community Explorer **

Re: pdf conversion to qbo

You can open pdf files using Word. You could then copy all text and paste into a notepad file, import that data into an excel or csv file, and then import into QB. Might be a royal pain but it could certainly work. 

Super Explorer ***

Look for PDF2QBO or "PDF to QBO" conversion app. For Quickbooks online, you may also convert to CSV instead of QBO, look for PDF2CSV or "PDF to CSV" conversion app.
Senior Explorer **

I created a video on this subject... should clarify the whole process.  NOTE: you need a 3rd party app to convert from PDF into CSV or QBO... QuickBooks does not have the capaciy to recognize a PDF statements.

Experienced Member

I use Able2extract.  It works great with bank statements but also has many more capablities.  For importing into QBO use A2E to convert to excel and then upload to QBO.

Community Host

Hey @ob, looks like you have several good options. Which one did you pick?

@srmcmahon, I love the scrappy Notepad approach, I still copy most of my HTML and CSS (yes, I still write in those! I've just aged myself) in Notepad. 

@sergiy@hectorgarciacpa@bambamrubble, what would you say is the biggest advantage of your respective recommended conversion programs? 

Senior Explorer **

I have used both "PDF2QBO" programs by MoneyThumb and by Propersoft.... I would say Propersoft at $49 vs $59 for MoneyThumbs is a better deal.

But I think thank MoneyThumb has a couple of extra features...  Eitherway, they are both great.  Propersoft's was the first one I used, and I use to promote it a lot through my blog (not to mention a few affiliate payments I got); but I moved to MoneyThumb because of the PDF technology they have, which is the strongest in the market at the moment SPECIFICALLY for bank statements.  Their PDF2QBO, PDF2CSV, and 2qbo Converter Pro products are the best in the market for converting bank and credit card statements specifically.

Other programs like Able2Extract and PDF2XL are actually much more POWERFUL general conversion software, but are not designed for bank statements exclusively, so there is too much "clean-up" and finagling within the software to make these tools useful for bank statement conversion.

Lastly there is Personable's ScanWriter, which is enterprise-level bank  statement to csv/quickbooks conversion... the strongest contender, but the cost is a bit prohibitive for small firms and small businesses at about $1,000 initial investment plus $49 a month per company.

You can e-mail me anytime about this ([email address removed]).   I may be one of the handful of CPA/ProAdvisors that actually has used ALL these technologies in practice in the last decade.

ProAdvisor

What Hector says.  He did a webinar years back and Money Thumb is the best!  So easy to do (watch his videos) and to me, it works like magic!

Experienced Member

Money Thumb is easy it just doesn't have the samme capabilities at Able2Extract

Senior Explorer **

Able2Extract is probably the most powerful PDF to WORD (maybe Excel) extractor out there... but is not functional for Importing into QuickBooks.   I really Like PDF2XL as well.  The challenge is then reformatting the word/excel file for it to be "QuickBooks friendly"

Community Explorer **

That's me, scrappy!

Community Host

Lol, what can’t you use Notepad for Smiley Wink

i have csv file but unble to import

Super Explorer ***

Look for a CSV2QBO or CSV2IIF converter and convert your CSV/Excel file to a compatible format.
Community Host

@sergiy, any recommendations for the best/cheapest tool for @XPERTSSOLUTION?

Super Explorer ***

James, both tools cost the same, search for CSV2QBO or CSV2IIF
Experienced Member

Hi!

I am using "quickbooks self-employed" (which is online, but not to be confused with "quickbooks online"). They are asking me for CSV files, and so I need to convert from PDF (from bank of america) to CSV.

Does the program that you mentioned to that, or do you know of another solution?

thanks so much

Super Explorer ***

For Quickbooks Online, please use ProperSoft PDF2CSV (please google it for the link), and select CSV target as "Quickbooks Online". Quickbooks Online Self-Employed imports CSV files only.
ProAdvisor

Community Host

Hey @ParkwayInc, what tool is this? Without context it's tough to figure out. Also want to advocate for @sergiy's recommendation as well. Glad there are lots of tools available. 

Established Member

You might well try to do so by exporting the pdf to word at first https://www.altoconvertpdftoword.com/ The thing is, all the conversion tools to QBO I've tried don't recognize the pdf's ocr well but there's no such an issue with ms office ones

Experienced Member

I have a lot of clients who for one reason or another don't link their bank accounts and can't seem to download a csv file.  That or the banks/cc companies don't have it as an option.  Thus, I too am often stuck with .pdfs to somehow convert.  Most of the apps just don't work right for one reason or another (although I do use csv2qbo for desktop clients A LOT!)

Since, I know a few developer friends, I have had them create a script that takes a .txt file (see below) and converts it to a csv.  Since the statement has a lot of text that isn't necessary, I open the text file and delete that information.  The script works good for formatting and recognizes dates and spacing in order to efficiently separate items into correct columns.  I then open the csv and edit it some as it does occasionally miss things.  But I am also updating the script as I find things.  It works wonderfully for Bank of America Statements.  And MOST DEF better than converting to Word.

If anyone is interested in knowing more let me know.  I could possibly have this created on the web and modified for each banks specific statements.  Right now I just run it from my desktop.

Community Host

@vicWeller, what would you say is its major advantage over other tools? 

Getting Started with QuickBooks Online

Experienced Member

Thanks! That worked perfectly.

Established Member

If you go for adobe DC pro tyou can convert them to CSV and import into quick boos