Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *
Solved

QB Pro 2017 Desktop vs. McAfee Anti Virus Software

Hello, Community,

after five harrowing days of suddenly being unable to access my company files, and after much ado with Intuit tech support remotely trying to get the program started and a local IT professional doing the same, I figured out the culprit is McAfee Anti Virus software that I have in subscription form. I uninstalled the program yesterday and QB started instantly and runs beautifully. Intuit tech support was unable to solve the problem whatsoever and told me that my computer simply runs too slow. At my wit's end with that, I uninstalled McAfee and voila. Hope this helps someone avoid what I went through trying to run my business over the last five days without QB.

Best answer 08-24-2018 05:10 PM

Accepted Solutions
Community Contributor *

Re: QB Pro 2017 Desktop vs. McAfee Anti Virus Software

Here is the article I found which prompted me to uninstall McAfee. I have not, as of yet, figured out what to do about my subscription.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_...

15 Comments
ProAdvisor

Hello @robinrosshhi:

Thank you for this. I’m sure it’s going to help others. I did find a support article on firewalls in QuickBooks desktop: 

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1437462-configure-firewall-and-internet-security-settings-for-...

I hope it will help you to configure your firewall and keep your McAfee settings in place.

Established Community Backer *

Thanks for the heads up @robinrosshhi!! It's infuriating how a technological snafu can happen all of a sudden and totally disrupt our ability to work. Hats off to you for figuring out the problem.

Established Member

I wish that I would have seen this post sooner. I just experienced the same problem.  After 3 days for trying every fix, I called Intuit and was quickly asked if I had McAffee. Then they wanted to try all the fixes that I already tried. Apparently, they do not want to come right out and tell you to delete McAffee.  Question is, did you get any response from McAffee?

Were you able to cancel service without much hassle? 

Community Contributor *

Here is the article I found which prompted me to uninstall McAfee. I have not, as of yet, figured out what to do about my subscription.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_...

Community Host

@robinrosshhi,

Thank you very much for sharing your solution. I will definitely escalate this up the correct channels so our support teams are aware. This post will be pushed to the top of the board. 

I am with @lynda, my first thought was instantly firewall permissions. I've had some anti-virus software (not naming names) that blocked programs without warning, and some add additional layers of firewalls beyond my Windows defaults. Anti-virus programs are now suspect number one for me whenever a program stalls or seem to crashes. 

Regarding the subscription, have you called their support team? They should be made very aware that the program is preventing you from getting work done. 

This article on configuring your Firewall for QuickBooks might also help others down the road. Thanks again, Robin!

Getting Started with QuickBooks Online

Established Member

QuickBooks and McAfee tech support: Please work together to clear up this issue.  It was created a number of weeks ago (and only affects Qbooks 2017 version).  Regardless of who's updates caused the issue, it appears both tech support entities should be diligent in getting their users back to "normal".  As noted, this is a known issue, not new and has been for many weeks.  Whoever can assist in getting this escalated on the Qbooks side, thanks in advance.  We need to pressure the McAfee side as well, but jointly they should both be able to fix this NOW.  Unbelievable we should be held hostage for this long.

Established Member

Is there any update on this?  I just contacted McAfee and they couldn't give me any update.

Community Contributor *

I'm continuing to use a different anti virus software until a resolution is made. I'm afraid to re-install McAfee and haven't done anything since the debacle.

Established Member

I'm in the same situation.  I really don't want to chance reinstalling it but I really don't like that I've been without antivirus for 3 weeks

Community Contributor *

I have an IT pro friend who installed Avast Anti-virus for me, the  free version. I had him come over to try to figure it out when this whole mess first happened. He actually couldn't figure it out, then after reading a bunch of blogs I just by chance decided to uninstall McAfee and haven't had a bit of trouble with QB since. Haven't had any issues whatsoever with viruses (I hope) and he said I"m protected.  So I'm just going to wait and hope he's right.

Established Community Backer *

If there is a continuing situation that is going unresolved between QB and McAfee then switch anit-virus software. There are many excellent applications that are greater than or equal to McAfee with similar costs. I use ESET and have been very satisfied with it. Plus, I have never had any issues with ESET disrupting any of the software programs on my laptops. 

Established Member

I ran the update on my McAfee software on Friday and then went to Qbooks 2017 and was able to successfully open the data file.  I was promised by McAfee and Qbooks/Intuit to be notified when the fix was complete... that did NOT occur.  However, I believe the fix has been successfully made by whoever (I think it was a McAfee issue).  I don't disagree with anyone communicating on this topic that there are numerous options for antivirus software.  Its just tough mid-stream to be removing one and replacing it with another.  I may do that at year end during my renewal.  This should not occur with two entities like Intuit and McAfee, but it did.  The process was very frustrating and took way to long for them to resolve!!  

Experienced the same nightmare and spent hours trying to resolve the problem. Once I determined that it was the McAfee software I deleted the program and everything works fine. I spoke with McAfee software tech support and they explained that they're working on a "patch" to resolve the problem. Any updates on the patch?? They also explained that the issue does not impact the 2018 QB program. The problem with that is we have numerous clients using 2016 and 2017 and we cannot ask them to incur the cost of upgrading because of our firm issues with antivirus software.  Any additional updates would be appreciated.

Thanks for your post!

QuickBooks Team

Welcome to the Intuit Community, lercpa.

I'm here to help you with your concern about the McAfee antivirus.

You can visit the McAfee website and check if there's a new patch for the software. You can also reach out to their Tech Support Team for updates about the patch.

Can you share what specific issue you encounter while using the 2016 and 2017 version of QuickBooks? Are you unable to access your company files because of the antivirus as well? Any information you could add will help us determine what solution we can provide to fix the issue.

I'm here anytime you need assistance concerning the older version of QuickBooks. You can add more information by selecting the Reply button below.

Contributor robinrosshhi is absolutely correct. I switched to McAfee Antivirus (from Norton) and my computer slowed to a crawl and Quickbooks 2017 would not open my company files. After spending 2 weeks with a completely unusable computer and spending endless hours on the phone, replacing both my hard drive and Windows operating system the issue persisted. I uninstalled McAfee from my brand new hard drive and the computer was back to normal. Neither McAfee or Quickbooks phone support were of any help at all. I called McAfee and insisted on a full refund and they complied. I am using Kaspersky Antivirus now with no issues at all (Norton was OK, too). Both Quickbooks and McAfee should address this issue and put it to rest. In the meantime I would recommend avoiding McAfee Antivirus if you are running Quickbooks 2017.