Highlighted
Community Host
10 Comments
Community Explorer ***
Re: Real World - Accounting: How Many Accounts Do You Actually Need?

Hi,

That is a nice write up. When we setup books for our clients we usually use the following method to keep the Chart of Accounts simple -

Balance Sheet Accounts

Asset Accounts

Liability Accounts

Equity Accounts (for sole proprietorship and partnerships)

Equity Accounts (for corporations)

Profit & Loss Accounts

Revenue Accounts

Expense Accounts

Community Explorer ***

Hi,

When we set up COA for our clients we use a standard template that we have built in excel and import it. We have one for coffee shops, contactors, online retailers and so on. This ensures that we have just enough accounts, but not too many to make things a little crowded! 

Kind Regards,

Emily

Community Explorer ***

I recoomend this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IDzzpG0CnHkzPiqXUeSuOTehI2he8vaaNX2DTzEkNj4

Contains a list of all the default accounts available in QuickBooks Desktop accross all industries and all company structures

Community Explorer ***

The question of how many accounts should be included in your chart of accounts is a hot button with me.  All to often I see clients with a long, long chart of accounts. I explain that it is the skeleton that reports use it is not intended to show details of their business. Memorized reports, classes, etc. can show all the detail they need.

Your financials will look professional if you trim down the chart of accounts.

Cherilyn Collins

@SMallBizQBPro

@JamesOngwrote:

The Vast Chart of Accounts.PNG

Do I really need all these accounts? 

The answer – maybe.

If you peek at your Chart of Accounts, you might be surprised by the number of accounts you access on a daily basis. We normally don’t see this in QuickBooks, since most account management is done for you behind the scenes. But the truth is, it takes a veritable village of accounts to accurately track all your business transactions. 

After adding a few dozen accounts in QuickBooks, you may wonder if they’re all necessary. (We know categorizing them all is certainly complicated, as Stacy Kildal [QBO Show host and ProAdvisor] hinted at in her recent Twitter post -- but we’ll save that topic for another article).  

Question is, how many accounts do you actually need?

The short answer - you need enough to be legally compliant for tax purposes and enough to know precisely how much money you owe, are owed and have on hand. There’s no simple answer. It truly depends on the needs of your business. You may only need a few accounts to track the right data… or a few dozen.

Four Principles of QuickBooks Account Management

There’s also plenty of guidance to navigate you through this conundrum. David O’Brien and Trevor Matheson from Real World Training offer four simple guidelines to follow that can help you keep the number of accounts under control. These guidelines are particularly useful for first-time QuickBooks Online users, but you can use them any time you’re stumped by a tricky transaction that may, or may not, require creating yet another account.

Real World Accounting 1.PNG

Strange as it sounds, it’s a good thing if you’re still feeling intimidated – it means you’re aware and want to do things right - and Real World’s guidelines will help you feel more confident and do it right.

David and Trevor emphasize: 

1. Keep things simple

2. Remember, less is more

3. Make sure you can easily explain the categorization for any transaction

Now it’s your turn

How many accounts are in your Chart of Accounts? Which ones do you think are absolutely necessary for every QuickBooks user? 

Learn More

Real World lives up to its namesake, offering hands-on accounting and the QuickBooks classes as well as comprehensive self-paced courses using real-world examples.

@JamesOngwrote:

The Vast Chart of Accounts.PNG

Do I really need all these accounts? 

The answer – maybe.

If you peek at your Chart of Accounts, you might be surprised by the number of accounts you access on a daily basis. We normally don’t see this in QuickBooks, since most account management is done for you behind the scenes. But the truth is, it takes a veritable village of accounts to accurately track all your business transactions. 

After adding a few dozen accounts in QuickBooks, you may wonder if they’re all necessary. (We know categorizing them all is certainly complicated, as Stacy Kildal [QBO Show host and ProAdvisor] hinted at in her recent Twitter post -- but we’ll save that topic for another article).  

Question is, how many accounts do you actually need?

The short answer - you need enough to be legally compliant for tax purposes and enough to know precisely how much money you owe, are owed and have on hand. There’s no simple answer. It truly depends on the needs of your business. You may only need a few accounts to track the right data… or a few dozen.

Four Principles of QuickBooks Account Management

There’s also plenty of guidance to navigate you through this conundrum. David O’Brien and Trevor Matheson from Real World Training offer four simple guidelines to follow that can help you keep the number of accounts under control. These guidelines are particularly useful for first-time QuickBooks Online users, but you can use them any time you’re stumped by a tricky transaction that may, or may not, require creating yet another account.

Real World Accounting 1.PNG

Strange as it sounds, it’s a good thing if you’re still feeling intimidated – it means you’re aware and want to do things right - and Real World’s guidelines will help you feel more confident and do it right.

David and Trevor emphasize: 

1. Keep things simple

2. Remember, less is more

3. Make sure you can easily explain the categorization for any transaction

Now it’s your turn

How many accounts are in your Chart of Accounts? Which ones do you think are absolutely necessary for every QuickBooks user? 

Community Host

Hey @Cherilyn, thank you for your thoughtful perspective. Have you seen our article we did with Rhonda Rosand? I’m sure you two would agree on many things Smiley Happy.

“Rhonda Rosand Says - Keep Your Chart Of Accounts Simple!”

Community Host

Hector @hectorgarciacpa

Thank you for sharing the document. Any essential accounts you think everyone should have but are often overlooked?

Community Explorer *

I am gratiful for this article. it puts things in prospective.

Community Explorer ***

For Main Street America, simplicity is usually the most efficient and effective approach!!

Community Host

Thank you @Acupuncture4U, I really appreciate it.

@Peter_G_Stone, I couldn't agree more. It's a philosophy I apply to everything, technical or otherwise. It's amazing how difficult "simple" can really be, though. Ask why three times and you'll see what I mean Smiley Happy

ProAdvisor

Hector,

You never cease to surprise me!  Thank you for this list, it is very useful right now.  We always need to remap peoples chart of accounts to fall in line with our universal version and this list will allow me to populate my excel sheet to help me cut down on the time it takes in the future!

You Rock!