cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Content Leader
Solved

What’s New with QuickBooks: Projects Center - An Easy Way to Organize Your Accounting by Project

This series, “What’s new with QuickBooks,” will summarize software updates and new QuickBooks product features as they become available to the community. Check back frequently to learn what’s changing and how to get the most out of each update to enhance your QuickBooks experience.

What’s New? - New Product Feature

The new Projects Center in QuickBooks Online Plus manages all of your finances and transactions associated with specific personal and client projects. Invoices, expenses, timesheets, transactions and bills can be tagged to projects and will appear on a single dashboard, making it easy to stay organized, run reports and track your progress.

Project 3.PNG

Projects-1.png

The Projects Center is especially useful for businesses that provide products and services since you can track billable and non-billable hours alongside other project expenses. It’s also possible to manage multiple projects at once!

Projects 2.PNG

The Project Profitability Report automatically pulls the data tagged to your projects, so you know exactly how much you’re making on each job. This reduces data entry time and the chance of missing key expenses in reports to your clients.

Projects 4.png

You can create new action items directly from the Projects Center dashboard or, if you’re already tracking the data in QuickBooks, reassign existing transactions to new projects.

One final benefit of the Projects Center is the way it collects data. You no longer have to build new categories or restructure your Chart of Accounts to separate project-specific transactions. Instead of modifying existing lists or categories, the Projects Center simply re-tags items so they appear on the project dashboard. 

For more information on adding project transactions, check our FAQ.

What version is the Projects Center available for? QuickBooks Online Plus  

How can I start using this feature?

In QuickBooks Online Plus, click the Gear Icon (Gear Icon.jpg), go to "Account and Settings," select "Advanced" and turn on Projects. The Projects Center will now appear in the left-hand column of the main dashboard. 

Learn more about the Projects Center on the QuickBooks Blog

Products built for you

What's your next awesome project? 

Best answer 09-04-2018 11:02 AM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: What’s New with QuickBooks: Projects Center - An Easy Way to Organize Your Accounting by Project

Hey there, lalter11.

Welcome to the Online Community. I’m here to help you find a report that allows you to view expenses to be billed on projects.

I'm glad to let you know that you can run the Unbilled Time and Expenses Report to see all the time and expenses you still need to send invoices for. To run the report, please follow these steps:

1. Go to Projects on the right panel.
  2. Select the project you’re working on.
  3. In the Project reports tab, click on the View link for Unbilled time and expenses.
  4. Choose the date you want to pull up the report.
  5. Then click on the Run report tab.

After following the instructions, I'm confident you can start tracking the expenses for your projects.

To give you more insights on how this feature can better assist you run your business smoothly, check out this article: QuickBooks Online Projects.

Keep me posted if you have questions about using QuickBooks Online. I'll be more than happy to help. Have a good one.

14 Comments
Community Explorer **

Re: What’s New with QuickBooks: Projects Center - An Easy Way to Organize Your Accounting by Projec

Really The new version has a good change.It's now more easy for entrepreneurs.

Content Leader

Re: What’s New with QuickBooks: Projects Center - An Easy Way to Organize Your Accounting by Projec

@accruon3, agreed! What's your new favourite feature of QuickBooks Online?

ProAdvisor

Minimum they need to add Non-Billable Expenses.

Currently, they have "Unbilled Time and Expenses" but for Non-Billable, they have Time only but no Expenses. Whenever you have a project, you want to track both time and expenses. In fact, in real Project Tracking, it could be more nob-billable expenses than any Expense Items. Just saying!

Content Leader

@vpcontroller, thank you for the feedback, always valuable.

The team working on the Projects Center is watching the post, so they will see your feedback! Do you think a workaround could be to create a $0 expense item and tag it to the project? Or would that have a negative effect on your books?

ProAdvisor

Not really. Non-billable expenses are already recorded properly by tagging Customer/Project. They just need to add non-billable expenses to view reports exactly like non-billable time. It seems very simple and basics to me, it's not clear to me why they missed it.

Be sure to send your feedback request.

http://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/forums/168199-quickbooks-online-feature-requests/suggestions/20282428...

Content Leader

Good points, @vpcontroller. Overall, how do you feel about the feature?

Re: What’s New with QuickBooks: Projects Center - An Easy Way to Organize Your Accounting by Project

I love the new project feature. It seems to work very well. Do you know how I can run a Product/Service report by Project? Thanks!

Content Leader

Hey @jasuser,

Glad you like it! It's very similar to the "Job" feature in QuickBooks Desktop but, in my opinion, it's a bit easier to navigate. What I really appreciate is that it doesn't alter your CoA or other settings in any way but acts more like a "tagging" feature.

To run reports specifically for P/S by Project, go to the Projects Center tab, click "Project Profitability" and customize the report to add or remove the specific products, services and associated accounts. 

Hope this helps!

I agree - it would be very helpful to be able to view expenses to be billed on the reports for projects.   I just entered my first expense toward a project (I'm new to QBO) and was surprised that the Project reports don't show it.

Any update on adding this feature?

QuickBooks Team

Hey there, lalter11.

Welcome to the Online Community. I’m here to help you find a report that allows you to view expenses to be billed on projects.

I'm glad to let you know that you can run the Unbilled Time and Expenses Report to see all the time and expenses you still need to send invoices for. To run the report, please follow these steps:

1. Go to Projects on the right panel.
  2. Select the project you’re working on.
  3. In the Project reports tab, click on the View link for Unbilled time and expenses.
  4. Choose the date you want to pull up the report.
  5. Then click on the Run report tab.

After following the instructions, I'm confident you can start tracking the expenses for your projects.

To give you more insights on how this feature can better assist you run your business smoothly, check out this article: QuickBooks Online Projects.

Keep me posted if you have questions about using QuickBooks Online. I'll be more than happy to help. Have a good one.

The QBO Projects function was seamless to turn on and use effectively. I use the timesheet function in QBO and it translates easily to invoicing for the Project. My problem is that there is no way to track payroll costs in Projects. I'd like to see Payroll costs come up into the Project Profitability report. I run a service based company so our primary cost is labor. Right now that labor cost does not show up as a cost to the project so the Project Profitability report is not giving me a true view of the cost and profit to the job. I hope this is a function that you add soon as it would greatly enhance the functionality of Projects!

Hello NovelEsolutions,

I'm here to take care of you. We love to know your experience in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Feedback provides clear expectations for current and future performance by strengthening knowledge and improving confidence in QBO.

I also agree that adding the labor or payroll cost in the Project Profitability report would help customers track the income and expenses of a certain project.

I've sent a request to our Product Developers so they might consider adding this feature. It would also help if you can send your feedback. They'll use your suggestions to fix and improve the overall product experience.

To do this, just click the Gear icon at the top and select Feedback.

Thanks for letting us know your experience. I'm happy to help some more if you have other questions about QBO. Have a great day.

Frequent Explorer **

That is an excellent point!  Many of my clients will create an estimate for the project costs and then bill by a percentage of the total, they do not "bill" the actual costs on the customer invoice, but they would still like to track the costs of the materials that go into the project cost.

Frequent Explorer **

It is a nice feature!  It gives us the ability to further classify transactions!  I look forward to see how you plan to elaborate on the project functionality!