cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

converting .dmg to quickbooks online

We have been using QB 2014 for Mac, and unfortunately the Mac hard drive has died. We do have the most recent .dmg backup saved to another location, and need to know how to extract that .dmg file to either QB Online or a new version of QB desktop on a PC. 

I can't find instructions on how to do so. Please help!

2 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: converting .dmg to quickbooks online

I can help you restore your .dmg file, Chhassociation.

We offer 30-day trial links for QuickBooks Desktop. To convert the .dmg file to QBO, you'll have to do the round-tripping process first. This means that you will restore the file using a recent QuickBooks Desktop version, and then import it into QBO.

You can get the trial links through this article: QuickBooks Desktop trial links.

When your file is all set, you can follow these articles to help you convert it to QBO:

Import Limitations QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online

What's not imported when you move from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online?

Convert from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online

There you have it. Feel free to leave a message if you have any follow-up questions. I'll be right here to help.

Community Host

Re: converting .dmg to quickbooks online

Hey @Chhassociation,

As @SophiaAnnL mentioned, essentially what you have to do is convert your Mac into a QuickBooks Desktop QBW file with a trial version of QuickBooks Desktop. Once you have the file converted, you can then do the direct Desktop to Online Conversion.

We created a guide for how to convert from QuickBooks Desktop to Online - the first few sections proide guidance on the pros and cons of converting and whether it is right for you.