cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Rochelley
Level 8

Calculate % deduction with an upper limit that re-sets each pay period

I am trying to set an upper limit for a % calculation that re-sets each payday.  Currently the only choices for re-setting the limit is Annual, Monthly, or One Time Limit.

Being that QB allows payroll to be calculated on many different types of pay periods, i.e. Weekly, Bi-Weekly, Semi-Monthly, Monthly, Annually, and several others, wouldn't it make sense to allow upper limits for each of these time periods?

For example, I use a Bi-Weekly pay period.  I need to make a deduction (and a contribution) of a maximum of 5% of en employee's regular wages in a pay period.  When using a % item, it does not discriminate the types of earnings it calculates on.  It calculates on all earnings types.  I need it to calculate only on regular wages.  The only way I can do that is to set an upper limit $ amount to 5% of regular full-time wages, but it has to re-set every bi-weekly pay period.

By doing this, it will limit the 5% calculation from calculating on overtime.  I am not able to prevent that happening in a pay period if I only have three choices of what type of upper limit to set.

Some might argue that I should just pre-calculate the 5% amount and populate the employee's payroll record with the flat $ amount.  Except that doesn't work well because even though an employee has a regular wage/salary, they often will take unpaid time off in a pay period and that is not predictable.  There is also the OT scenario outlined above.  Without the capability of setting an upper limit per pay period, this item will have to be manually calculated and entered for each employee each pay period, which is a tedious and time-consuming process.

If there's another way to accomplish this, I would love to hear it.  Otherwise, is this something you can build into the program, Intuit? It doesn't seem like it would be a stretch, considering there are already three others there . . . 

5 Comments 5
LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hi Rochelley,

As usual, I appreciate the amount of detail you go into with your questions. You always know exactly what you're looking for, which is good. As you mentioned, however, the program restricts the reset on the deduction limit options to Annually, Monthly, and One-Time Limit. I hear what you're saying about manually making calculations and entering them being a long and tedious process. I'm hopeful other users will chime in with workarounds or alternatives that they've found. Otherwise making those manual calculations is the way to go.

While I can pass what you've outlined to my team, I also encourage you to submit the feedback yourself directly in product. It's just a few steps: click Help in the upper toolbar and choose Send Feedback Online. The Product Suggestion option should do the trick. You can probably even copy and paste what you've written here to send off. The comments left using the feedback tool go directly to our product development team for consideration in future updates.

I hope you enjoy your weekend. See you next time!

Rochelley
Level 8

Thanks @LauraAB ,

I have used that Product Suggestion feedback on many occasions and will do so this time as well.  :smileyhappy:

It's unfortunate that there is no feedback on those suggestions.  It would be great to know that yea, your idea is something to consider or nay, it is unfeasible or will not be considered at any time.

In the meantime, I would really like to hear if someone has another way to accomplish this.  

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

I'm glad to hear that you're a frequent user of the feedback tool. :) I like your idea about getting some sort of a reponse to the feedback as well. I know it's always nice to get input on our suggestions and I'll let me team know.

Osama
Level 1

I have been wondering about this for years and finally went to check online to see if I was just missing something and it was available already since it is such a simple thing to add into the functionality of this program. Apparently not however.

Will be upgrading to 2019 in the next month, really hope this is something that can be resolved quickly, and not just for Quickbooks Online, as is typically the case......

Rochelley
Level 8

Hello @Osama ,

I made the original post in June and also sent feedback to Intuit through the program and have heard nothing whatsoever about any proposed changes to this.  I'm working in QB 2019 and am about to update to 2020.  So, unfortunately, I can tell you that 2019 has no resolution to this.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us