cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member
Solved

Can't delete or make inactive payroll schedule

I started a second payroll schedule to temporarily pay some new employees for 2 weeks instead of our regular weekly schedule. I now realize I should have just done an unscheduled payroll. However when I went to delete the schedule it gives me the message I must reassign all employees on the schedule before it can be deleted which I have already done but the message keeps coming up and keeping me from deleting the schedule.  Any help would be much appreciated. I'm using 2019 pro desktop with enhanced payroll. Thank you.

Best answer 03-22-2019 10:45 AM

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't delete or make inactive payroll schedule

Hello, @swjoat.

I appreciate you getting back on this thread and sharing how the steps provided went. Allow me to step in and help figure out why you're still getting this prompt. 

The steps provided by my colleague should do the trick, but since you still can't proceed in deleting the schedule, we can try changing the period to determine if all your employees have the same frequency. Let's try adding the Pay Period column in the employee center.

Once done, you should be able to delete the payroll schedule that you no longer need on the Pay Employees screen.

There are instances that the Payroll Schedule is blank and the pay frequency used is still attached to a certain employee. 

Please let me know if you're able to delete the schedule this time. I'll be on the lookout for your reply and help you in any way I can.

If you have other questions in the future about payroll, you can always visit our site and check our help articles: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-articles/ct-p/help-articles-us?label=QuickBooks%20Deskt....

Best regards.

6 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @swjoat.

Helping you with deleting your payroll schedule is my priority. Let me provide you the steps to get this sorted out.

The prompt that you receive when deleting a payroll schedule means you'll need to remove the schedule to all the associated employees so you can delete it successfully.

To do that:

1. Click on Employees at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on Employee Center.
  3. Double-click the employee's name.
  4. Select the Payroll Info tab.
  5. Look in the Payroll Schedule field and confirm that the payroll schedule is the one that you need to delete. If the Payroll Schedule attached is the one that needs to be deleted, remove it by highlighting and pressing on backspace. You may also select another Payroll Schedule for the employee.
  6. Do the same steps for the rest of the employees.

sched.PNG

Once done, you can now delete the payroll schedule by following these steps:

1. From the Employees menu, go to the Payroll Center.
  2. Select the Pay Employees tab.
  3. Under the Create Paychecks table, select the Payroll Schedule that you want to delete.
  4. Select the Payroll Schedules drop-down.
  5. Select Delete Schedule
  6. Select Ok.

Here's an article that you can check out for more details about this processSet up and manage payroll schedules.

Also, you can visit these articles below about paying employees in QuickBooks Desktop for your future reference:

These resources should help you delete your payroll schedule.

Don't hesitate to reach back out to me if you have any other questions concerning Quickbooks. I'd be happy to help. Have a nice day!

Experienced Member

Hi @BettyJaneB,

Thank you for the response. Sorry for the delay I was out of the office for awhile.  I have tried to do what you suggested but apparently there is a glitch in my system and it doesn't recognize that the employees have been taken off of the schedule and just doesn't allow me to delete it. I'm assuming something has been corrupted or broken in my file? I'm not really sure what it could be but thank you for the effort.

QuickBooks Team

Greetings, swjoat.

I'd love to join this discussion and provide additional clarification to BettyJaneB's awesome answer.

Rest assured, I don't see any indication that your file has been corrupted or broken. However, based on the details so far, it seems like you've only done this for Active Employees.

In QuickBooks, you'll need to remove every employee, including the Inactive ones, assigned to a pay schedule in order to delete it. That being said, let me walk you through the process again with the additional step that I mentioned:

1. Click on Employees at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on Employee Center.
  3. From the Active Employees drop-down menu, choose All Employees.
  4. Double-click the employee's name.
  5. Go to the Payroll Info tab.
  6. Highlight the schedule in the Payroll Schedule field and erase it by pressing backspace.
  7. Repeat these steps for the rest of the employees.

Once you're done, go to the Payroll Center (Employees > Payroll Center) and delete the schedule as my colleague suggested.

That should do it. Keep in touch if you need more help with this or if there's anything else I can do for you. Have a great day!

Experienced Member

Hi @AldrinS

Thank you for your input. I've tried what you suggested as well even though none of our inactive employees were ever on that schedule I deleted the schedule they were on even. However, I still get the same message telling me there are employees assigned to this schedule which there are not, which keeps me from deleting or even making the schedule inactive. If you have any other ideas I would like to hear them though. Thank you.

Hello, @swjoat.

I appreciate you getting back on this thread and sharing how the steps provided went. Allow me to step in and help figure out why you're still getting this prompt. 

The steps provided by my colleague should do the trick, but since you still can't proceed in deleting the schedule, we can try changing the period to determine if all your employees have the same frequency. Let's try adding the Pay Period column in the employee center.

Once done, you should be able to delete the payroll schedule that you no longer need on the Pay Employees screen.

There are instances that the Payroll Schedule is blank and the pay frequency used is still attached to a certain employee. 

Please let me know if you're able to delete the schedule this time. I'll be on the lookout for your reply and help you in any way I can.

If you have other questions in the future about payroll, you can always visit our site and check our help articles: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-articles/ct-p/help-articles-us?label=QuickBooks%20Deskt....

Best regards.

Experienced Member

Hi@LilyC

Thank you so much. It turned out that the owner of the company somehow got on that payroll schedule, which I have no idea of how it happened. I just kept skipping over her because I don't remember ever putting her on any kind of schedule and it stops you from using the payroll tab if you are a sole prop. Either way your suggestion helped me see which person was on the schedule, I didn't realize there were customizable columns like that. Again, thank you very much for all the help.