cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Solved

Customer Sub Jobs

Using 2017 DeskTop Premier Contractor

I am setting up a customer job, then adding a Sub Job under it to track Certified Payroll hours. Hours that don't need to be reported for CPR (off-site) are tracked under the main job.

This works fine for CPR but is creating other issues. For example, because the Sub Job does not have an associated estimate it does not show up on the WIP report. I tried entering a $0 estimate but that did not work. I don't want to split up the estimate, as that will create issues with invoicing.

What I really want is for everything associated with the sub-job to just roll up to the main job and report there. Is this possible?

Best answer 03-21-2018 07:48 AM

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Customer Sub Jobs

No each job is a unique event in QB.

If you use premier or enterprise, you could use a sales order for the job to track non reportable hours.

Or use an additional estimate with the same estimate number and add a -H for that job, I think, I have not tried reporting that way, that it would report too.  But if the non reportable hours have no actual value, it is immaterial from what I see

3 Comments

No each job is a unique event in QB.

If you use premier or enterprise, you could use a sales order for the job to track non reportable hours.

Or use an additional estimate with the same estimate number and add a -H for that job, I think, I have not tried reporting that way, that it would report too.  But if the non reportable hours have no actual value, it is immaterial from what I see

Thank you for the response. Since the ultimate goal is to run a report for Certified Payroll which only includes the onsite hours, I am unclear how using Sales Order to track the CPR hours would be helpful. Can you elaborate?

Both the reportable and non-reportable hours have value and need to be reflected in the job costs. I'm trying to keep them separate for CPR reporting, but have them roll up into the costs of the main job. I was hoping there was a "Parent-Child" option for Jobs. I hope that makes sense!

I guess I misunderstood, when you said you did an estimate for zero, I thought that meant you only wanted to track total hours and not the value.

Job cost in terms of labor hours, would mean you would have to move payroll expense (some portion of it) out of payroll expense and into job expense. Sorry I do not deal with payroll and reallocating it. Best I can think is track the hours, do the math per employee and then do a journal entry to move that value.

I'm sure there is a more elegant way, and hopefully someone will chime in.