cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *
Solved

Customize Certified Payroll Reports by Work Classification

My company has quickbooks premier contractor's edition. Weekly we use certified payroll reports built-in to quickbooks to provide union reports for each union we have on a job.

As it is, you can customize the report by week and by job. Is there a way to customize the report further to specify which 'work classifications' to include so that we can print separate reports for each union?

Best answer 02-26-2019 12:10 PM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: Customize Certified Payroll Reports by Work Classification

Hello there, @Jay Fowl.

QuickBooks Desktop is equipped with a variety of reports that you can customize and filter to suit the data you need. Allow me to provide some resources on how you can generate payroll reports to specify your employee's work classifications.

A Certified Payroll report displays your employee's social security number and address for filling out  the Box 1 of  the Certified Payroll Report.

Yes, you can certainly specify it to include a specific work classification. Just make sure to set your paychecks to use earnings items named after your work classifications.

Here's how:

1. Go to Edit.
  2. Choose Preferences.
  3. Under Company Preferences, click Yes for the question Do you Track Time?
  4. In the First Day of Work Week drop-down list, choose the day on which you start tracking time each week. 
  5. Click Ok.

Once set up, you'll need to set up your employees for time tracking. Here's how:

1. Click Employees.
  2. Choose Employee Center.
  3. Open the employee information.
  4. Go to Payroll Information tab.
  5. Select Use Time Data when Creating Paychecks.
  6. Click Ok.

Next, make sure to create a class list item for the specific work classification that you want. 

When running the Certified Payroll Report, here's how to specify your work classification:

1. Go to Reports.
  2. Choose Employees and Payroll.
  3. Select More Payroll Reports in Excel.
  4. Click Certified Payroll Report.
    1. In the QuickBooks Certified Payroll Report window, click Continue.
    2. Choose the specific paycheck date.
    3. Click Get QuickBooks Data.
    4. Hit Next.
    5. Review the Employer Information, then click Next.
    6. Choose the Name of the Project, then click Next.
    7. Enter the date of the last pay date, then click Next.
    8. Select the specific work classification.

If you need further assistance with the steps above, I’d recommend reaching out to our Customer Care Team. They have the tools to access your account on a secured environment and further help you via secured remote access session.

Here’s how you can reach them:

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. In the Have a Question window, click Contact us at the bottom portion of the screen.
  4. Click Search for something else.
  5. Type in a keyword about your concern.
  6. Hit Search.
  7. Click on Start a Message.

Feel free to visit us here in the Community if you have other concern about generating reports in QuickBooks Desktop. I'm always here to help.

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Jay Fowl.

QuickBooks Desktop is equipped with a variety of reports that you can customize and filter to suit the data you need. Allow me to provide some resources on how you can generate payroll reports to specify your employee's work classifications.

A Certified Payroll report displays your employee's social security number and address for filling out  the Box 1 of  the Certified Payroll Report.

Yes, you can certainly specify it to include a specific work classification. Just make sure to set your paychecks to use earnings items named after your work classifications.

Here's how:

1. Go to Edit.
  2. Choose Preferences.
  3. Under Company Preferences, click Yes for the question Do you Track Time?
  4. In the First Day of Work Week drop-down list, choose the day on which you start tracking time each week. 
  5. Click Ok.

Once set up, you'll need to set up your employees for time tracking. Here's how:

1. Click Employees.
  2. Choose Employee Center.
  3. Open the employee information.
  4. Go to Payroll Information tab.
  5. Select Use Time Data when Creating Paychecks.
  6. Click Ok.

Next, make sure to create a class list item for the specific work classification that you want. 

When running the Certified Payroll Report, here's how to specify your work classification:

1. Go to Reports.
  2. Choose Employees and Payroll.
  3. Select More Payroll Reports in Excel.
  4. Click Certified Payroll Report.
    1. In the QuickBooks Certified Payroll Report window, click Continue.
    2. Choose the specific paycheck date.
    3. Click Get QuickBooks Data.
    4. Hit Next.
    5. Review the Employer Information, then click Next.
    6. Choose the Name of the Project, then click Next.
    7. Enter the date of the last pay date, then click Next.
    8. Select the specific work classification.

If you need further assistance with the steps above, I’d recommend reaching out to our Customer Care Team. They have the tools to access your account on a secured environment and further help you via secured remote access session.

Here’s how you can reach them:

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. In the Have a Question window, click Contact us at the bottom portion of the screen.
  4. Click Search for something else.
  5. Type in a keyword about your concern.
  6. Hit Search.
  7. Click on Start a Message.

Feel free to visit us here in the Community if you have other concern about generating reports in QuickBooks Desktop. I'm always here to help.

Community Contributor *

Thank you! I had to adjust how classes were being assigned a little, and I wont be sure until we can cut checks with the new items, but it looks like this should do it!

As we prepare for that payroll, can I try to sneak in a follow-up about classes?

The accountant already had classes set-up and assigned to items, so I created a service item for each union. We still have payroll items for each employee, since even inside each union there are different rates. Is there anything about this set-up that may still need to be adjusted based on classes being tied to items? Or if I have the classes assigned to service items appropriately for each worker, will it not impact the wage rates that are already assigned to payroll items for each employee?

Community Manager

Hi Jay Fowl,

You're most welcome, and thanks for coming back.

Let me share with you how QuickBooks treats the two rates separately. The rate set up for your service item is use for invoicing customers or billing vendors. While the hourly/salary rates set up in the employee profile will be used for payroll.

Setting up classes for payroll allows you to maximize your capability to keep track of the job profitability by running the report mentioned above. Therefore, there's nothing to adjust after setting up the class tracking for payroll.

Drop some more questions here in the Community. We'll be glad to help.