cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
antolicks
Level 1

Employee Time sheets

I pay bi-weekly, I have payroll set to pay bi-weekly,  I want to use time sheets but the time sheet comes up on a weekly schedule. Do I have to enter 2 time sheets for each pay period for each employee?

6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

Employee Time sheets

The Time can be entered using the Single Activity View or the Weekly View. That's because, even if you pay Monthly, there are evaluations such as Overtime is often based on the Work Week. Pay Period has nothing to do with what you asked. Think of the Weekly View of the time entries as a Calendar View.

Example: You enter time for the week of Oct  29 to Nov 4, but are only paying for Oct 16-Oct 31. Because your Payroll cycle has Pay Period, it knows which Days to pull from the timesheet and will pull from Oct 16, a Tuesday, to Oct 31, a Wednesday. That's using Pay Period.

What you are supposed to do is set the Weekly view to match your Employee handbook or State "work week" requirement. For instance, if your Work Week by law is Mon-Sun, set the Weekly View to start on Mon. Now you see the legal view as the Calendar view, but everything you enter is a Single Activity. You can distribute Time across the one row when the tasks done, customer, etc, is all the same = makes for easy data entry. You also can use one timesheet with Mutliple Names, such as, my entire 15-man crew all did the same thing every day, last week = I only need to enter into one Weekly View.

And in the Weekly View, select any one entry, the hours entry, and that row, and at the top, use the Single Activity View. See? Here it is, as a Single Entry. If you did that same entry, with the exact same details, in the Single View, multiple times, and then go to the Weekly view, you would see QB distributed it across one row = made it into one row for you.

These are just different perspectives of that same entry.

antolicks
Level 1

Employee Time sheets

Very helpful,  thanks for the explanation.

teamchambie
Level 3

Employee Time sheets

I need to know how to make any overtime show up....I entered it in - the employee worked mon-fri 40 hours and Saturday for 8, but the saturday time did not show up as OT....if there is no way to fix this, the timesheets are useless as far as I'm concerned.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Employee Time sheets

You use your OT Payroll item, to see it as OT.

madtes design
Level 1

Employee Time sheets

I am a single person business.  Is there a way to modify the name drop down so I don't have to keep selecting my name everytime I want to enter times.  I don't need any other info on my time sheet, just to have it automatically have my name there.  Thanks

ShiellaGraceA
QuickBooks Team

Employee Time sheets

The option to modify the name drop-down in the timesheet is unavailable, madtes design.

You'll want to submit a product request to our engineers for a feature that will do this.

To do so:

1. Click Help, and then Send Feedback Online.
  2. Click Product Suggestion.
  3. Enter all the information in the field.
  4. Click Send Feedback.

You can always swing by anytime if you have other questions.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us