cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sissya
Level 2

Error message: QB_Payroll_Link.xlt

How can I fix this error message that I'm getting. I've been receiving it for over a month now.

50 Comments 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

What error message are you getting?

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @sissya.

Let me share two scenarios and help you with your concern about the error message you're getting.

Just to clarify, are you trying to summarize the payroll data in excel? If so, QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise has an on-going issue where users are getting those errors.

As a workaround, you can run the report from previous quarters and then when asked to update select Yes to pull all the data. If that doesn't work, I suggest a clean install of QB and Excel.

But if you're trying to do something aside from summarizing the payroll data, you'll need to update your payroll tax table. Let me guide you how:

1. Go to the Employees menu, then select Get Payroll Updates.
  2. Put a check in the Download Entire Update checkbox.
  3. Select Download Latest Update.

After updating the tax table, a window will appear when the download is complete. Here's an article you can read for the detailed steps and information: Download the Latest Payroll Tax Table.

Also, I recommend scheduling a callback with our QuickBooks Customer support so they can add your account to the list of affected users. This way, you'll receive an email regarding the issue once updates become available.

Here's how you can schedule a callback:

1. Log in to your QuickBooks account.
  2. Click on Help.
  3. Select Contact Us.

Thank you for your patience as we work for a fix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just and FYI, I did all the steps you suggested.  Even updated/repaired Excel.  Nothing!  I was able to pull reports I can use for my quarterly reporting but this report is the one that gives me all the information I need and I would like to have it!!  I see this has been going on for some time now.

JaneD

Good day, Tracey1960.

I appreciate you joining us in this thread. I've got some information about the error that you're getting.

I was able to confirm that there's an ongoing issue with summarizing Payroll Data in the Excel files from QuickBooks Desktop. For now, you may want to give us a call to receive updates. When you do, provide this investigation number: 24847. 

Here's how:

1. Sign in to your QuickBooks Online (QBO) account.
  2. Go to Help.
  3. Click on Contact us.
  4. Enter your concern and click on Let's talk.
  5. Choose either Start a chat or Get a callback.

From there, one of our agents will be able to pull up your account securely and add you to our notification list. I'll also personally reach out to them and gather some information on this, so I can update you once this has been fixed

Thanks for your patience and understanding. Please know that this issue is being treated with utmost urgency. Leave a message below if you have any other concerns. I'll be around.

Mc2019
Level 1

I was on the phone with QuickBooks technical support yesterday for almost an hour. We tried all the avenues to get the State Wage Listing report in Summarize payroll in excel. I have had this problem now for about a year and have tried numerous time to get a fix. All the other tabs on this summarize excel sheet are correct except the one I need for unemployment reporting purposes. I do not know why we cannot get this fixed??

Mc2019
Level 1

I have QuickBooks 2019 Pro. I have been getting this message now for about a year. I have tried numerous time with QuickBooks technical support to get it corrected. Nothing works. Odd thing is all the other tabs in Summarize payroll data in excel report have the correct figures. Why can't we get this fixed?? We use these figures to file online unemployment reports.

Adrian_A

I appreciate all the steps you've done to resolve this issue, Mc2019.

As of now, there's till an ongoing investigation about error message you've got. Rest assured, our engineers are diligently working to fix this one. But, I have a workaround for you. 

You can run the report from the previous quarters then, when asked to update select Yes. This way, it will pull up all the data.

I also recommend getting in touch to our Phone Support team. They'll get your company info and add it to the list of affected users.

We appreciate your patience while waiting for the permanent fix.

NAU2020
Level 1

Is anyone know how to fix this? I was on the phone over 3 hours and didn't get resolved by quickbook support team. I need to get the summary payroll report ASAP

Anna S
QuickBooks Team

Good evening, @NAU2020.

I want to ensure you get the support you need. I know getting Summary Payroll Report has been frustrating, but I'm here to help.

Let's delete the QB_Payroll_Link.xlt template and re-download it. You can remove the template by pasting C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2020\Components\Templates into your C Drive search bar. Right-click on QB_Payroll_Link.xlt and choose the delete option. Now open Desktop and run a full payroll update. Note: Before deleting the template, make sure you close QuickBooks Desktop.

Please let me know if this gets you back to business. I'll be waiting for your response.

BigRedConsulting
Community Champion

This issue is more than a year old now.

I got motivated a couple of months ago and noted the error still exists in QB 2020, so I checked it out to see what was going on.

I found several issues with the workbook and fix them. The fixes were easy and took a couple of hours to find, fix, and test.

Then I published an updated version for people that need it.  Start here to get it: Summarize Payroll Data In Excel « Big Red Consulting 

Wats1414
Level 1

Thanks for the fix Big Red Consulting.  This was a great fix.

kimbuc
Level 3

I too have been getting this error for all of 2019.  I've contacted QB support as well and was given a work around which is not as efficient as the state tax report.  Don't understand why this cannot be fixed.

ap5
Level 3

Big Red Consulting: You are a miracle worker! Thank you for fixing this issue that QB hasn't for a year.

joansmith
Level 1

Just came across your fix, Big Red Consulting.  Awesome, thank you so much!!!!

LJB4025
Level 1

It didn't work  - I even deleted all the files that were in that area.

JGoree
Level 2

The steps provided did not work.

KlentB

Hi JGoree,

Currently, we have an open investigation about the runtime error when Summarize Payroll Data in Excel Feature. Please know that our product engineers actively working to know the root cause of this issue.

For now, I'd recommend getting in touch with our Customer Care Team so that you'll be added to our notification list. Rest assured, you'll receive an email notification once we get this sorted out.

Before diving in, I encourage checking our support hours first to ensure that we address your concerns time. Here's how to connect with us:

1. Open QuickBooks.
  2. Go to Help, then select QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. Click Contact Us.
  4. Enter "Error when using Summarize Payroll Data in Excel Feature" in the text box, then select Continue.
  5. Choose Start messaging.
  6. Have our representative link your case to this investigation number for faster transaction: INV-24874.

In the meantime, our engineers recommend deleting and then re-downloading the QB_Payroll_Link.xlt template to get rid of the error. Here's how:

1. Close Quickbooks Desktop
  2. Open Windows File Explorer, and then select This PC.
  3. Go to the C drive.
  4. Select Program files (86x), then choose Intuit.
  5. Go to the Quickbooks20xx folder, then select Components.
  6. Click Templates, then find the QB_Payroll_Link.xlt file and delete it.
  7. Reopen Quickbooks and get a full payroll update.

Additionally, here's an article that you can read to help personalize your payroll reports and streamline the reporting process: Customize payroll and employee reports.

If I can be of any additional assistance, please don't hesitate to leave a comment below. Stay safe and healthy.

itbbooksaz
Level 1

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! This worked FINALLY someone that knows what they're doing

itbbooksaz
Level 1

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!! Finally someone that knows what they're doing

BigRedConsulting
Community Champion

@KlentB 

RE: Currently, we have an open investigation about the runtime error when Summarize Payroll Data in Excel Feature. Please know that our product engineers actively working to know the root cause of this issue.

How's that active work going, now for over two years?  Must be a huge, huge issue to pay at least one engineer two year's salary!

---------------

Update. Now three years!

FredW1
Level 1

I can not get the payroll to export to spready sheet.  Get the "QB _Payroll_Link.xlt"  Did what you suggested.  It still doesn't work.  I need "State Wage" tab to work.  

Help

cheesegraeter123
Level 1

This did not work.

cheesegraeter123
Level 1

I had high hopes for this but it did not work for me. The bigredconsulting fix DID work after restarting computer. Finally.....jeez! thanks to bigredconsulting!

cheesegraeter123
Level 1

Thanks for this patch - it did work BUT I did have to restart my computer before it would work. Just in case that helps others!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us