cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do I set up more than 1 Workers' Comp Classifications for employees on Quickbooks Online? We have employees that do work under multiple classification codes.

We use TSheets in conjunction with Quickbooks Online. We are a contractor that has different codes for different jobs from day to day. How can I track the workers comp wages for the different codes for the employees.

16 Comments
Highlighted
Super Explorer ***

Do we know if any progress has been made on this?

Do we know if any progress has been made on this?

I was going to ask the same thing, we have a client in WA...

I was going to ask the same thing, we have a client in WA that has employees that split time between two codes. I would prefer to keep their payroll in QBOA, but may opt to process in desktop. It would save on the payroll subscription fee for my client and allow us to track different pay rates and workers comp rate.
QuickBooks Team

Welcome to QuickBooks Online, tesuque123. At this time, w...

Welcome to QuickBooks Online, tesuque123.

At this time, we are unable to enter multiple Workers comp codes. We're always looking for ways to improve our QuickBooks Online features. I suggest you let our Product Development Team know that you'd like more options when recording Workers' Comp codes. 

Here's how to send feedback:

1. Go to the Gear icon in the upper.
  2. Choose Feedback.
  3. Enter your suggestion, and click Next.
  4. Select a category.
  5. Click Send message.

If there's anything else that I can help you with, just leave a comment below. I'm just a post away. 

Super Explorer ***

Is there a ticket made for this?

Is there a ticket made for this?
Super Explorer ***

Can I get a link where feedback can be sent?

Can I get a link where feedback can be sent?
Not applicable

Intuit payroll has allowed for multiple workers' comp cla...

Intuit payroll has allowed for multiple workers' comp classification codes in the past.  what has changed?
Experienced Member

Quickbooks online doesn't allow it. It's considered a pre...

Quickbooks online doesn't allow it. It's considered a premium feature. Lame sauce.
SC6

Re: Welcome to QuickBooks Online, tesuque123. At this time, w...

Yet another essential that QB is missing... I'm a contractor and my crew often uses more than one workers comp class code. I'm wondering why I spend so much time and money using QB. It lacks so many essential details and that creates a lot of problems. I'm thinking about just using Excel. 

QuickBooks Team

Hello SC6.

Thanks for reaching out to us in the Community. I'm here to provide information about using morethan one Workers' Comp Class code.

Since you're only able to track Workers' Compensation for the state of Washington, you can run a report to help determine how much you need to pay.

Here's how:

1. On the left navigation bar, click Reports.
  2. In the search bar, type in, and select Workers' Compensation.
  3. Enter the date range and work location.

For more information about the report, you can visit the article attached below:

View the Workers' Compensation report.

A feature that's essential to your business is what matters the most to us. That said, I recommend sending feedback by clicking the Gear icon and selecting Feedback.

I'm looking forward to your feedback about this feature in QuickBooks Online. If you have any questions, please let me know by leaving a comment below.

Experienced Member

What has changed in QB Desktop? Multiple WC Codes was not a problem in previous desktop versions.  Is this available for a fee?  And yes, I did reach out about this and send feedback.  This is a very common situation in construction and I would like to know if anyone out there has come up with a solution, in QB or Excel.

Frequent Explorer **

We also have more than one workers comp class.  I have submitted request to fix this in QBO months ago and no response.  Has anyone found a work around?  This is very frustrating.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @NWAdventure.

I appreciate you joining this thread and sending your feedback about having more than one workers' comp class in QuickBooks.

At this time, QuickBooks Online doesn't allows you to add more than one Workers Compensation tax code.

In the meantime, I recommend following the workaround that my colleague @AlcaeusF provided. You can pull up and view the Workers' Compensation report to get the details of how much you need to pay.

1. On the left menu, click Reports.
  2. On the search field, enter Workers' Compensation.
  3. Customize the report to show the information you need.

1.PNG

If you have follow-up payroll questions, just let me know by click the "Reply" button. I'm always here to help you more.

Does the online version not have time-sheets capability? In the desktop version you can enter the hours and specific WC code for each one. You can split by jobs, wc codes, payroll items, etc.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @icjerk.

I'm here to help share information about creating timesheets in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

You can enter either weekly or single timesheet in QBO. It allows you to enter hours of each employee, but not the specific WC code. Timesheets only allow a single hourly rate. If you need to enter multiple hourly rates, you can sign up for a QBO Payroll subscription.

b9 timesheet in qbo.PNG

In addition, you can turn on and set up time tracking, if you want to start marking timesheets as billable.

To learn more, you may check these articles:

Please let me know if you have any other timesheets concerns, I'll be always here to help you. Wishing you continued success!

Community Explorer **

Re: I was going to ask the same thing, we have a client in WA...

I have a "work around" for this problem.  Our employee's timesheet has a column for entering a workers' comp code for each type of job performed versus the hours worked.  We use the timesheet along with other information to create an invoice for the work performed.  We have set up those same Workers' Comp codes in QB online under Products and Services so that when we invoice we create a line item for each type of work performed and select the appropriate code from Product and Services and enter the corresponding hours performing the work under the invoice field "QTY" (quantity).  Neither the Product and Services or the QTY field are set to show in the customer's invoice.  We then set up a Report using, Sales by Product/Service Detail, which we customized to include the Worker's Comp codes (Products & Services) as well as the hours (QTY) and filter by Service date (generally monthly).  This results in providing us the hours worked for each of the codes we've invoiced against.

Community Explorer **

Re: I was going to ask the same thing, we have a client in WA...

P.S.  We don't presently use Quickbooks for our payroll which is why we've created this work around.  I've also looked into how this same thing might be accomplished if we used Tsheets and had our employee log in and out of jobs based on the Workers' Comp code.