cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
sheilak-mclaughl
Level 1

How to I fix the YTD amount in the a carry over payroll advance to show zero and not affect the GL account? The GL is correct however the ytd amount shows a negarive.

I created a carry over emploee advance item for employees taking a long term loan.  The employee repaid the advance over a number of months.  The YTD amount is now showing negative on the payroll screen and paystub.  The employee did not over pay.  The correspinging GL balance sheet account is correct.  Just what is showing on the stub/payroll screen in incorrect.  How do I zero the balance on the payroll screen without affecting the G/L.

Solved
Best answer March 26, 2019

Best Answers
Rochelley
Level 8

How to I fix the YTD amount in the a carry over payroll advance to show zero and not affect the GL account? The GL is correct however the ytd amount shows a negarive.

If you don’t clear the loan in the same year in which it began and it carries over to the next year, then there will be a -YTD amount because it represents only the transactions that have occurred in the current year.  You can’t ‘fix’ it and you shouldn’t as it is correct.  If there is no more loan activity in the current year or no loan carryover amounts going into next year, your YTD amount will clear to zero next year. 

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Rochelley
Level 8

If you don’t clear the loan in the same year in which it began and it carries over to the next year, then there will be a -YTD amount because it represents only the transactions that have occurred in the current year.  You can’t ‘fix’ it and you shouldn’t as it is correct.  If there is no more loan activity in the current year or no loan carryover amounts going into next year, your YTD amount will clear to zero next year. 

sheilak-mclaughl
Level 1

Thanks Rochelley.  That makes sense. 

Lilygirl
Level 1

So the employee still owes on the advance from the last year and I need it to rollover into the current

year, how do I do that?

I have an employee who owes $900 at the end of 2023, when I do payroll for him now here in 2024 it doesn't show 

that balance, so each deduction from his check is now showing a negative amount.  Is there anyway to show that balance in his paycheck??

Amanda-B
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining in on this thread, Lilygirl.

Based on the information you've provided, the best course of action would be to contact our support team outside of the Community. They'll be able to verify your account details in a secure setting, as well as view your screen to better assist you. You can reach them  by following the methods listed here.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out here.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us