cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kyle_KauffmanCPA
Level 2

How to display company retirement plan contribution on pay stub?

I have a client that has a 3% match for the company's 401(k) plan. Currently their pay stubs show the employee's contribution to the 401(k) plan, but how do we display the company's matching contribution to the 401(k) plan on the pay stub?

16 Comments 16
Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Kyle_KauffmanCPA.

I'm here to help share information about the information displayed on the pay stubs in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

The employees' pay stubs shows how much their total pay and tax deductions. This is the reason why only the employees' contributions reflect on their pay stubs.

As of now, there isn't an option to display the company/employer contribution on the employees' pay stubs. However, if you are an employer, you can run or pull up the Payroll Summary report if you wish to view/see both the employee and the employer taxes and contributions. On the other hand, if you are an employee, you can ask your employer to print out the same report mentioned earlier.

To learn more about pay stubs and 401(K) plan, you may check these articles:

Please stay posted if you have any other payroll questions, I'm always here to help you. Have a great day ahead!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this is unfortunately yet another feature that remains unavailable with QB Online. 

QB Windows has had it for perhaps 15 years; they added it based on customer requests - since this is important to many QB Payroll users.

sdudleycpa
Level 1

I'm trying to do the same thing with the employer-paid portion of health insurance.  It's being tracked in company contributions, and it's A LOT of money which I would like to show on pay stubs each month. Additionally, I have an employee who needs to provide this information to her former spouse pursuant to their divorce settlement each month.  I told her to log in and get it from her pay stub. Can you imagine my incredulity when I learned that she was right... It isn't there! So effectively, I have to manually generate her pay stub each month?! 

beldauto
Level 2

I agree, I had an employee who asked about if we had withdrawn our company match for 401(k), considering the times, etc. - I assured him we had not and to look on his paystub.  I never had looked at mine obviously because it is not there!  That was a stumble to explain, with only a promise that I would look into it.  We are new to QBO and I will tell you it is highly lacking many features that we took for granted on QB Desktop... 

djohn
Level 1

Agree. I just switched to QBO from 10+ years on Desktop Pro. Can't believe such a standard payroll item like 401k contributions would not display. Really disappointed.

bkt
Level 1

I just switched to quickbooks online and am extremely frustrated in the lack of features that have been available on the desktop version for years.  Since a matching contribution is part of the employee benefits, it should reflect on the paystubs.  This is something that showed on the desktop version.  There are so many features that we used on desktop version that are not available online.  I am not sure why you take steps backward when offering and "pushing" for people to go to the online version.

bviele
Level 1

When is this feature going to be added to Quickbooks payroll? 

Tori B
QuickBooks Team

Hey there, @bviele

Thanks for following the thread. I hope you're enjoying the day so far. 

At this time, there is no specific timeframe of when this will come available to QuickBooks Online. We understand how important this feature would be for all of our users. We have submitted a feedback request to our product development team, so this can be considered in a future update. 

In the meantime, please follow all of our latest updates and happenings by using our Blog Site

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. I'll be here every step of the way. You can reach out to the Community at any time. Take care and have a wonderful weekend! 

drewchris
Level 1

This is a extreme disappointment. We switched over from QB Enterprise after speaking with a sales associate. At no point in the conversation were we given any indication that we would be loosing this functionality. There are a number of employer contributions that should be reflected on an accurate pay stub:  401(k) contributions, healthcare contributions, FICA, etc. These are all part of the total employee compensation, even if they are not officially deducted from the employee pay.

QB enterprise captured them. Most, if not all, payroll companies capture them.

Unfortunately the conversion back to enterprise after a month might be too "expensive" in rework etc.

Truly a disappointing realization, that the online version is so far behind when it comes to paystubs - which is absolutely vital to employee morale. And for this lack of ability, we are paying a monthly fee and a per employee fee.

stmukai
Level 1

Hello, you mentioned that the 401k Employer Contribution would be displayed on the payroll summary report.  It is not displayed on mine.  Can you help?

Ethel_A
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @stmukai.

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concern about running the payroll summary report with the 401k employer contribution. I'm glad to share with you the steps to easily do it.

Payroll Details report provides details for selected paychecks, including the hours worked, amount, taxes, and deductions. Here's how to pull it up and export it.

Here's how:

1. Go to Reports from the left menu. 
  2. On the Search (magnifying glass) box, enter Payroll Details
  3. You can customize the Date Range, and choose the name of the Employee, and Work Locations
  4. Click Run Report
  5. On the Share drop-down at the upper right, select Export To Excel

If you'll need to check both the employee and company contributions to all your retirement plans, you can use the Retirement Plans report. Here's how to run it: 

1. Go to Reports from the left menu. 
  2. On the Search (magnifying glass) box, enter Retirement Plans
  3. You can customize the Date Range, then click Run Report

If you'll need to export it, you can choose Export To Excel on the Share drop-down at the upper right of the report. 

For more information about running reports in QBO, here are the helpful articles: 

Feel free to click the Reply button if you have other concerns about running reports. I'll be around to help. Have a great day!

alexisv
Level 1

I completely agree. This is rather unprofessional from a human resources standpoint, and it creates additional administrative time to complete the process (which is standard!). Please QBO, fix this asap. The platform is already challenging enough. 

fco
Level 1

The company contributions are shown on our paystubs under OTHER PAY/CONTRIBUTIONS.  The employee contributions are shown under DEDUCTIONS.  Hope this helps.

Freelsdraft
Level 2

Will this feature be added any time soon?

Mich_S
QuickBooks Team

We can't confirm as of yet, @Freelsdraft. I'm here to guide you on what to do.

I advise sending us feedback as the option to display the employer retirement plan contribution on the pay stub is still unavailable from QuickBooks Online. Rest assured, your helpful suggestions will be shared with our product development team to enhance your QBO experience.

1. Open the Gear icon at the top, then hit Feedback.
  2. Fill in your comments or product suggestions.
  3. Then hit Next to submit feedback.

Additionally, you can review feature requests and updates through our webpage: QuickBooks Online Feature Request.

For future references, read this article about handling payroll transactions in QBO: 

You already know where to find me if you need more help with QuickBooks in general or payroll. Stay safe.

8284 1696 5
Level 1

The employer match doesn't include a match for SCorp Owners Health Insurance Wages. They are wages and earned income and taxable so they should be included in the calculation for employer match. Why are they not?  The 401k provider says they should be. The IRS says they should be and the last payroll company said they were. Why is Inuit in such denial??? Why does Intuit leave this out. My form 5500 will be messed up and my returns for 2023 will be delayed as well until the payroll is fixed. What gives Intuit? It is spelled Google. Just type in IRS and read. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us