cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
habitatboonecounty
Level 1

I just assigned classes to payroll in QBO Plus - but need to retroactively assign classes to payroll already run January - March. How do I do that?

I just assigned classes to payroll in QBO Plus - but need to retroactively assign classes to payroll already run January - March. How do I do that?

5 Comments 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello habitatboonecounty,

There's a way to retroactively assign classes to your previous paychecks. Here's how:

1. Click on the Gear icon.
  2. Choose Payroll Settings.
  3. Click on Accounting.
  4. In the Classes section, choose I use different classes for different employees.
  5. Click on OK and click on OK.
  6. In the Want to update existing transactions, too? section, choose the Starting Date and click on Update.
  7. Click on OK.

Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks! 

habitatboonecounty
Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  But I am not getting the option of updating existing transactions.  I chose "I use different classes for different employees" and it asked me to assign each employee a class; but it did not ask if I wanted to update existing transactions.  How can I do that?  Thanks!

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for posting a follow-up, @habitatboonecounty. I can show you where the option to update existing transactions is.

After selecting Ok on the Preferences- Employee Classes page, the option to Want to update existing transactions, too? will be at the bottom of the page. From here, you would just to select the date, which would be January in this instance, and click Update and then Ok

I've included a brief video to serve as an example of this:

For additional information on using classes, I recommend the following article: How to Set Up and Use Class and Location Tracking.

I'm confident that this information will have you on the right path. 

Should you have any questions on assigning classes, or anything else, please let me know. Best regards. 

Martina52
Level 1

Hello!  I am having exactly the same problem as described in the preceding post.  I have used class tracking for years in QB Desktop.  Just switched to new offsite payroll folks with QB Online.  I have class tracking turned on for general accounting setup, and that is working fine.  I have now turned on class tracking in the Payroll setup menu.  I can see class boxes on some of the payroll reports, so that is good.  However, I do NOT have the option to retroactively assign classes to earlier transactions.  What to try now?

ReymondO
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Martina52.

The option to add more details to an existing paycheck is only available for the recent transaction. Since you have migrated from QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) to QuickBooks Online (QBO), then this option is unavailable.

However, you can reach out to our Payroll Support Team so that they can reclassify or attach more information to your transactions. Here's how:

1. Select Help (?) at the top right.
  2. Click the Contact Us button.
  3. Enter your concern in the description box.
  4. Hit Let's talk.
  5. Select Get a callback.

To ensure we address your concern on time, check out our support hours.

When you switch from QBDT to QBO, there are some things you should know. You can check this out by clicking this article: What to expect when you switch from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online.

I'm always here to help if you have any other concerns or questions. Just tag my name in the comment section and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us