cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I'm trying to download a payroll update but I get an error massage saying "error sending usage data"

I'm trying to download the newest payroll update but I keep getting an error message saying "error sending usage data, contact payroll support."

5 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: I'm trying to download a payroll update but I get an error massage saying "error sending usag...

Hi there, @Pianomanjohnny.

Glad to have you here in the Community. I'm here to help you get past the "error sending usage data" that you received so you can run your payroll update successfully.

The "error sending usage data" may be caused by an incorrect time zone on your computer. To get this sorted out, check the date and time on the computer the file is located on.

Here's how:

1. In your computer's system tray, double-click on the displayed time.
  2. If you cannot edit the time from your system tray, choose Start > Settings > Control Panel > Date and Time.
  3. In the Date and Time window, click the Date & Time tab.
  4. Set the date and time.
  5. Click the Time Zone tab.
  6. Select the correct time zone.
  7. If you are in a daylight saving time zone, make sure to select the Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes check box.
  8. Click OK.
  9. Verify the updates by double-clicking the time in the system tray

For more details about this process, please visit this article: Error: QuickBooks has encountered a problem sending your usage data.

Once done, you can try running the payroll update again. If you get the same result, I'd suggest reaching out to our Payroll Care Team. They have an additional tool like screen-sharing that can help in isolating this issue.

To do that: 

1. In your browser, navigate to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop.
  3. Select the issue or topic.
  4. Click the Green Phone button to get the support number.

This amount of information should help you run a payroll update without any errors.

You've got me here if there's anything else you need about this concern. Have a nice day!

Re: I'm trying to download a payroll update but I get an error massage saying "error sending usag...

My time zone is correct and I am not using any type of Accountant's copy.
And trying to contact you is difficult because there are no telephone numbers listed.

Thanks for the details, DMO8465.

I can help you fix the "error sending usage data" message.

Since you're using the correct time zone on your computer, let's go ahead and look for the specific error in the QBWin.log when sending data. Please follow the steps I've laid out below:

1. Open QuickBooks Desktop.
  2. Press F2, then F3 on your keyboard.
  3. Click the Open File tab.
  4. Select the qbwin.log file.
  5. Scroll down to the bottom of the QBWin.log.
  6. Press Ctrl + to open the Find field.
  7. Select Up in the Direction radio button.
  8. Type Online Payroll Session in the Find What field (refer to the screenshot below).
  9. Continue to read going down until you find the error.

image.png

Once you find some errors, please refer to this article for the troubleshooting steps: QBWin.log.

In case you want to give us a call, please refer to this article for our most updated contact details: Intuit Payroll General Services.

That information should get you back in order. I’d be glad to help if you have other questions while working in QuickBooks Desktop. Enjoy your day.

Established Member

QBWin.log error compilation.

When I try to access this link in your post it gives me a message "sorry you are not authorized to access that page.  I get this after it requires me to login.

QuickBooks Team

Greetings, @Amy16.

Thanks for joining this conversation. Allow me to jump in for a moment and help make sure that you can access the link provided by my colleague above.

If you're unable to view the link/article above, you can also check this one: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/QBWin-log-Verify-Master-messages/m-p/.... This article contains detailed steps on fixing errors displayed in the QBWin.log file.

That should point you in the right direction. Please let me know how it goes or if you have any additional questions or concerns. I'm always here to help you out. Have a great rest of the day!