cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

I received an error stating I would have to delete all the employees in my online file to be able to export my data file. It won't let me delete the employees

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: I received an error stating I would have to delete all the employees in my online file to be ...

Hi there, @lmccaff.

I'd be glad to help share information about export data file to QuickBooks.

To give you the right amount of information, may I know what are you trying to do or to achieve? Are you trying to:

• Migrate your file from QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) to QuickBooks Online (QBO)?
  • Import employee list to your QBO account?
  • Export your employee list from QBO?

If you're trying to migrate your file from QBDT to QBO or import employee list to your QBO account, please ensure to import your file to a fresh/new account to able to do it successfully. If you've already started running payroll for your employees in QBO and wish to import the file/list, you may need to add the employee list manually. Deleting an employee with existing paychecks isn't available in QBO.

On the other hand, if you wish to export your employee lists from QBO to Excel, you can follow these steps:

1. Go to the Gear icon.
  2. Click on Export Data under Tools.
  3. Go to the Lists column.
  4. Select on Export to Excel.

For more information, you may check these articles:

Please stay posted if you have any other questions and if you're referring to something else. I'll be always here to help you.