cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

My employees didn't get federal taxes taken out their payroll check

I ran payroll and my employees didn't get federal taxes taken out and some did. How do I correct this issue ? 

5 Comments 5
IntuitNina
Level 3

Let's get your employees' taxes show in their paychecks, taylor.cherry.

It might have been that your employees' payroll taxes weren't set up in their profiles or they were set to Do No Withhold. Let's go ahead and check:

1. Click the Workers tab on the left.
  2. In the Employees tab, find and click your employees' name one at a time.
  3. Click the Edit employee button.
  4. In the Pay tab, click the Edit icon (pencil image) in the What are [employee's name] withholdings?
  5. Verify the tax set up of your employees and correct them.

If they're set up correctly, I suggest giving our payroll phone support a call. Here's how:

1. Go to this website: https://payroll.intuit.com/support/contact/?infosrc=qs&service=64
  2. Select Intuit Online Payroll.
  3. You can see our phone number from the QuickBooks Online Payroll in the right section of the page (screenshot provided).

Should you need further assistance from the Community, we're here to answer them for you. Feel free to drop me a comment below and I'll get back to you.

hortsolutions
Level 1

My employee tax profile was set up correctly but no federal taxes are being with held. She was hired late in 2018, so I figured she wouldn't  meet the minimum earned to with hold.  I just did the first payroll of this year and it is still telling me she isn't making enough to with hold. She is part time but  I have had other employees that are part time and make the same and it held the federal...I am at a loss.

Kristine Mae

Thanks for checking if the employee is correctly set up, hortsolutions.

Let's go ahead and isolate why it's not calculating the federal taxes.

Our system calculates the tax based on these factors:

• Taxable wages
  • Number of allowances/dependents
  • Pay frequency
  • Filing status

Then, these are the possible reasons why it's not calculating:

• Annualized salary exceeds the salary limit
  • The gross wage of the employees are too low

Let's try to manually calculate the employee's paycheck, then verify if it matches with QuickBooks Online. To help us compute the exact withholding amount, go through the IRS 2018 Publication 15. Use the Percentage method (page 44-45). This is the same method used by the system to calculate the Federal Withholding.

You can tag me if you have more questions. I'll help you in any way I can. 

SuvansLLC
Level 1

I'm having the same issue, do you have further direction?

ShiellaGraceA
QuickBooks Team

Hello @SuvansLLC,

If you've already tried the steps provided by my colleague @Kristine Mae, please contact our Payroll Support.

They have the resources that can check your account in a secure environment and assist you further.

Here's how to reach out:

1. Go to (?) Help, then Contact Us.
  2. Enter a brief description of your issue, then hit Let's talk.
  3. Select Start messaging or Get a callback.

I'm also sharing with you this awesome article about the commonly used articles to get started with Payroll for your reference.

That'll guide in the right direction today. Feel free to comment anytime if you need help with anything else. The Community is always here to help. Thanks for posting and have a lovely weekend.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us