cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Established Member

Paying unemployment tax online - deducted from credit

In Quickbooks I started the year 2019 with the NYS 2018 employment tax rate.  Mid-Feb they sent me my new rate for 2019.  Usually Quickbooks will correct the current quarter so my NYS-45 reconciles.  This time it did not.  Once I updated the rate it stopped creating the liability portion.  Not sure why? I have another business on another computer and it did work properly.  The only thing I changed was the actual rate in the Payroll Items List.  All other payroll and employee fields remained the same as always.  The payroll is not at its limit so it should be deducting.  Any suggestions?  I have double checked my set-up for Payroll Items and Employee and it is all correct.

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Paying unemployment tax online - deducted from credit

Good day, @DLondon.

Welcome to the Community. I’m here to share some information about NYS Employment liability.

The system should automatically make an adjustment to correct the payroll liability. Since nothing happens after updating the tax rate, let’s perform some basic troubleshooting to resolve it.

It's possible that local internet files are the reason behind this unusual behavior in the product. Cache tends to hold onto information, and over the time causes issues in your web pages like errors inside QuickBooks. 

Let’s first verify by loading the site using a different browser or a private window. Here’s how:

• Ctrl + Shift + P (Internet Explorer)
  • Command + Shift + N (Safari)
  • Ctrl+ Shift + N (Google Chrome)
  • Ctrl + Shift + P (Mozilla Firefox)

If it works, clear your browser’s cache. Here’s an article to help you with the process: Delete or Disable cache and temporary internet files in your web browser.

However, if you continue to get the same result, I recommend giving our Online Payroll Team a call for further assistance. They can pull up your account in a secure environment, which we are unable to do in public forums, and help you with the payroll adjustment.

Here’s how to get in touch with phone support:

1. Sign in to your account.
  2. Click Help at the top right corner of the screen.
  3. Choose Contact us.

That should get you on the right track. 

Let me know how the call goes and if this works out for you. I’m always here to keep helping. Have a good one!

Established Member

Great thank you.  I will give it a try.

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

You’re welcome, @DLondon.

In case you need tips and related articles in the future, visit our Community website: QuickBooks Self-help.

Let me know how it goes once you try the troubleshooting steps I shared above. I’m always here to help if you need anything else. Wishing you the best!