cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elva
Level 1

Payroll Job Tracking - Subsistence costed directly to Jobs - QB Enterprise Desktop

Our employees frequently go out of town for work, and when the do they are reimbursed $ per day for subsistence.  I set this up as an addition for payroll, but when I select the option to job track it, the subsistence payments are divided up evenly between all the jobs on the payroll and I can't figure out how to apply it only to the out of town job.  Is there something I am missing, or a workaround?  Sometimes the subs can add up to quite a bit, so it's a necessary part of the tracking.  Thanks.

3 Comments 3
QBsguru
Level 7

Payroll Job Tracking - Subsistence costed directly to Jobs - QB Enterprise Desktop

Unfortunately, when you set up an addition and check off the "track by job" box in the set-up, the total cost will be prorated by job based on the percentage of total hours contributed to the jobs in the wages section.  The addition works great if 100% of the time is allocated to a single job....not so great if time is split.

I have several government contractors that also have to track similar items.  I have to manually make a journal entry to move the split costs.  Debit the expense account and include the correct job name and credit the expense account and include the incorrect job name.

qbteachmt
Level 15

@elva 

The Job Reporting relies on your use of Items. Here is how to Job Track details such as Employee Mileage, Employee Reimbursement, and Per Diem.

Set up a Bank account and name it Payroll Clearing. Enter here using Banking menu > Write Check, using the Employee Name and the Items tab, everything you owe to that employee that you want to add to the Paycheck, such as, using Direct Deposit makes it nice for these additions. Job track, billable or not, etc, right here.

Now this Bank is running negative.

Set up your Addition item, and link it Not to Expense. Link it instead to the Payroll Clearing Bank. Do Not use it for job tracking; you already took care of that detail. List this on the Paycheck Details for the amount you owe that employee. Using this item here will Debit Payroll Clearing, so that acts as a Refill of the Clearing Bank.

If you did this right, Payroll Clearing Bank for that paydate, now ends at $0. And you have all the job tracking details you needed, and Job Reporting works fine, for using service items, noninventory items, and other charge type items on these "reimbursement checks." The value is on the Paycheck, the details are in the Clearing bank.

Blondon1
Level 3

Hi qbteachmt,

I'm confused about the wording (underlined) from the second paragraph quoted below.  Can you clear this up for me please.  I'm going to try your steps to track our per diem to jobs and for some reason this is throwing me off.  Thanks-

@qbteachmt wrote:

@elva 

everything you owe to that employee that you want to add to the Paycheck, such as, using Direct Deposit makes it nice for these additions. Job track, billable or not, etc, right here.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us