cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UplandCindy
Level 1

Paystub error

On my pay stub there is a line for Sick Leave YTD Accrued.  This number is not correct.  It was correct on my 2nd payroll for this year, but has been incorrect for each payroll since that time.  I'm not sure where it is pulling the numbers from.  My Available number is correct.

81 Comments 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paystub error

The amount accrued is saved on each paycheck.  You can view it in the details of each check.

TPalmer
Level 2

Paystub error

I agree. The year to date accrual does not reflect the year to date that an employee has actually accrued. Sometime it is the same as the amount accrued for that week, but that is not the case 100% of the time. Sometimes it appears random. I would think it should be the the total that employee has accrued since the beginning of the year, regardless of how much is used. The year to date for the used appears to be correct, and all of the Current numbers seem to be correct.

Why is the YTD Accrued display incorrect?

TPalmer
Level 2

Paystub error

I agree. The Current row displays all of the correct number. The Year to Date row is correct under Used, but the Accrued should display the total amount accrued since the beginning of the year and it does not. Most of the time is displays the amount accrued for that week, but even that is inconsistent.

Why is this printing out wrong?

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Paystub error

Thank you for reaching out here for support, @TPalmer.

Let me help you display the YTD total amount accrued when printing the paystub.

To display the YTD accrued, let's verify and rebuild the data first. Here's how:

1. Choose Window, then select Close All.
  2. Choose File, then select Utilities, and choose Verify Data.
  3. Click File, then select Utilities, and choose Rebuild Data.
  4. You will receive a warning message to backup your company file, press OK.
  5. Click OK when you get the message "Rebuild has completed".

Here's an article you can read for more detailed steps and information: Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop.

After verifying and rebuilding the data, you can try to print the paystub again and check for the YTD total amount accrued.

Fill me in if you have further questions. I'll be around if you need any help.

TPalmer
Level 2

Paystub error

Mark_R thank you for your reply. I tried the verify/rebuild/verify again idea that you had. I then went to print a paystub and still the YTD line was definitely not reflecting a total earned year to date. I went to print every paystub for one employee since the beginning of the year (we pay weekly) and the YTD was exactly the same on all of them. Even his first check of the year which was just income from his Sick Leave (which does not accumulate additional sick leave) and no hours worked, shows that YTD as 1.25. Every paystub after that through the first of March all show 1.25 under the YTD Accrued.

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Paystub error

Thanks for getting back to me, @TPalmer.

Allow me to give another option to show the YTD total earned.

Let's make sure that the tax table version is updated. To update the payroll tax table to the latest version, please follow the steps below: 

1. Go to the Employees menu, then select Get Payroll Updates.
  2. Put a check in the Download Entire Update checkbox.
  3. Select Download Latest Update.

After updating the tax table, a window will appear when the download is complete. Also, you can read this article for the detailed steps and information: Download the Latest Payroll Tax Table.

If you get the same result, I recommend scheduling a callback with our QuickBooks Customer support so they can review your account. Agents have the necessary tools, like screen-sharing to get you back up and running.

Here's how you can schedule a callback:

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. In the Have a Question window, click Contact Us at the bottom portion of the screen.
  4. Click Search for something else.
  5. Type in a keyword about your concern.
  6. Hit Search.
  7. Click on Start a Message.

Give this a try and let me know how it goes in the comment section. Please know that I'm only a post away if you have any follow-up questions. 

sfister
Level 2

Paystub error

Did you recently upgrade to QB 2019?  I did and am having the same issue.  My YTD Sick time is showing the calculation from the date of hire instead of January 1 (YTD), and my Vacation YTD accrued isn't showing at all.  The "Current" accruals are correct, but the YTD's are not.  Did you find a fix for this?  I was on the phone with QB Customer Service for literally 2 hours yesterday and they had no idea what was causing it.  It was very frustrating.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Paystub error

Hi there, @sfister.

Thanks for joining the thread and sharing what happened to your sick and vacation accruals. Allow me to step in and share additional information.

If your employee was hired after January 1, then the calculation for sick time will start from there. Let's try to check first if this has something to do with setting up your sick and vacation time. 

On your employee's Payroll Info, select the Sick/Vacation tab. Make sure to set up Begin accruing sick time on the beginning of the year and not on the hire date. Check your Vacation set up as well so we can verify if you have set up the hours accrued.

For more information about finding out why your sick and vacation time is incorrect, you may refer to this article: Sick and vacation time incorrect or not accruing on paychecks.

Let me know how it goes. I'll be around to help you further if you have additional questions about your YTD sick/vacation accruals.

sfister
Level 2

Paystub error

Our sick and vacation time rolls over to the next year. You never lose it if you don't use it. If I check the "reset" boxes, it sets their available time to 0 at the beginning of the year.  All of our employees have been here for years, so there's no issue of accruals starting after January 1.  The rep I spoke with on the phone yesterday tried all of this to no avail.   As I said, the Vacation year to date doesn't show up at all, it's blank.  It all accrues correctly, which is good, but the year to date numbers are completely wrong.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Paystub error

Hi there, @sfister,

Welcome back to our forum and thanks for sharing additional information about your paystub issue. I can share some insights on how to get past the problem.

May I know if you recently upgraded your QuickBooks version or have updated your file to the current release? If yes, this error usually occurs due to corruptions on the new Data Encryption code within the company file during the update.

There are a few ways to do to resolve the YTD balance error:

Option 1: Reset the Admin User Password to re-encrypt the file

1. Make sure your QuickBooks is up to date.
  2. Open your company file and sign-in as Admin.
  3. To update users, go to the Company menu.
  4. Select Users then Set up Users and Roles.
  5. Delete and recreate all users except Admin.
  6. Once done, run the Verify/Rebuild tool.
  7. Try recreating the paystubs this time.

Option 2: Restore the QuickBooks file prior to upgrade to prior version of QuickBooks (for new upgrade).

1. Please make sure to create a backup copy of your current company file to avoid any accidental data loss.
  2. Find the QuickBooks Desktop company file or backup from the previous upgrade.
  3. Look for the old QuickBooks Dektop version. If you already uninstalled the old version, you'll need to reinstall it.
  4. Restore the old copy(backup) to the previous Desktop version to upgrade the company file.
  5. Follow the steps in Option 1.
  6. Once done, upgrade the file back to the new version.

That should fix the blank YTD on your paystubs, @sfister. Please let me know how this goes. I'm here to help you when you need further help. Have a great day!

sfister
Level 2

Paystub error

Yes, I did recently upgrade from QB Desktop 2016 to 2019.   I tried both options that you provided, but it's still the same.   So frustrating to pay for the service and it not work properly.

redrae
Level 3

Paystub error

I upgraded today from 2016 to 2019 and my paystubs are showing the incorrect YTD accrued for sick time as well.  I think QB is showing the accrual from the employee hire date.   We also accrue for multiple years so resetting to Jan 1, 2019 will not help us either.    

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Paystub error

Hello there, @sfister and @redrae.

Let me help you check the sick and vacation accruals of your employees.

First, please make sure that the sick and vacation accruals are properly set up on the employee's profile as mentioned by my colleague LilyC above.

However, if the issue persists and it keeps on happening on the next payroll run, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team to investigate this further for you.

For more information about sick and vacation time, you can check this article: Sick and vacation time incorrect or not accruing on paychecks.

Please feel free to add a post/comment below if you have any other questions about sick and vacation accruals. I'll be happy to help you!

redrae
Level 3

Paystub error

The sick time is accruing but the YTD amounts are not correct.   The YTD amounts reflect since the HIRE date, which is the date we put  in the field "Begin accruing sick time on ".      OUr sick time does not zero out every year.  

The vacation time YTD is BLANK,  for every employee so I am not sure why it is blank.  

Something is amiss with your 2019 version and you should escalate this to the proper debugging department.  

I have done all the steps as noted above.    This appears to be a QB problem not a user problem.

Thanks,

Redrae

redrae
Level 3

Paystub error

Additionally, I would have to go change individually every one of my 45 employees "begin accruing sick time on", which is an inefficient use of my time.         Please escalate this to your debugging department.

Thanks,

Redrae

MirriamM

Paystub error

I appreciate your response and raising this issue to our attention, redrae,

Let me guide you to the right support to help you get back to business in no time.

To verify your account settings, I recommend reaching out to our Customer Care support. They have the necessary tools to pull up your account in a secure environment and determine what's causing the issue in your QuickBooks.

To contact us, here's how:

1. Click Help, then choose QuickBooks Help.
  2. Click on Contact us link at the bottom.

If you have any other concerns about your QuickBooks Desktop account, please don't hesitate to visit us again.

sfister
Level 2

Paystub error

I spent two hours on the phone with the QB Support Team and the problem still was not fixed.  They had no idea what the problem was and didn't really want to listen to everything I was telling them.  Kept talking over me and talking to others there with them trying to help.  No one could fix it.  Everything is set up correctly because it has run fine until recently when we switched to 2019.  There is definitely a glitch somewhere.

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Paystub error

Thanks for  getting back to the QuickBooks Community, @sfister.

I'm here to guide you to the right support so you can get the help you need. 

This isn't the kind of customer service we want you to experience. Part of our job is to provide an excellent customer service in a manner that your experience is marked as outstanding. 

I also appreciate you for taking the time to follow the troubleshooting steps provided by my colleague Jen_D just to resolve this issue. Since the problem persists, and I I know that you've already called before, however you still need to get in touch back to our QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support. 

They have additional tools to do a remote session and investigate this further. They can also create a new investigation for this issue and once it has been open, you’ll be receiving an email notification about the updates and progress of the investigation.

Please know that you're always welcome to post if you have any other concerns. Have a good one. 

redrae
Level 3

Paystub error

I ran payroll today and now the sick time YTD accrued = current accrued.   The vacation accrued YTD is still BLANK.      I sent a debugging issue in and I have not received an email.    So this is still now working properly.  

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Paystub error

Thanks for getting back to us, redrae.

I appreciate you for contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. Right now, the investigation of this issue is already initiated. While we can't provide you with the specific date if when this will be resolved, rest assured that we'll keep you posted and notify through email for the updates.

We appreciate your patience. Please know that I'm just a post away if you have other concerns. Have a good one. 

lindam
Level 3

Paystub error

Please escalate this issue ASAP.  All I did was upgrade from QB Accountant Desktop 2017 to 2019 and this erroneous YTD sick time line has appeared.  I prepare payrolls for more than 30 clients and this is a huge issue.  I have one client with 25 employees of which most are entry level, minimum wage types who see these numbers on their paystub and want to know where their sick leave hours are based on that YTD line!

I cannot turn off sick tme printing as this is California and required.    

This is purely and simply a bug.  Should be an easy fix from a coding standpoint.  Please fix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Paystub error

Hi there, @lindam,

I appreciate the time you've given checking this with the Community and thanks for getting this to our attention. I want to make sure you get the right support, so this issue gets taken care of for you.

We received several reports for the blank YTD after upgraded your QuickBooks version. To get this bug reported, I'd recommend contacting our QuickBooks Technical Support, so they can open an investigation for you.

They have tools to check what's causing this hitch and can provide additional workarounds for you, to complete your work temporarily. Here's how to contact us:

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. Tap the Contact us button.

That should do it. It's my priority to get to the bottom of this and look forward to providing further assistance. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Have a good one.

DJC76
Level 3

Paystub error

The amount showing as Sick YTD Accrued is actually the total amount accrued from the hire date of the employee. The programmers are pulling the wrong information.  We have converted to a PTO plan so I went in and deleted all the Sick time accruals for one employee to test the theory. I ended up with 1.54 hrs that I cannot get rid of. No longer shows on my Excel report but it continues to print on paystub. So Frustrating. I am out of time and need to get this payroll out so I am going to restore my backup and move forward. However, we only have till the end of the month and we have no choice but to convert.

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Paystub error

Thanks for joining this conversation, @DJC76.

I'm here to help share some information about removing the PTO accrual in QuickBooks Desktop.

The accrual of your employees PTO will depend on the period that you've chosen upon setting it up. There are 3 different ways to accrue sick and vacation in QuickBooks Desktop.

These are:

• Beginning of Year - Grant a certain number of hours that the employee can accrue over the course of a year.
  • Every Paycheck - Accrue a certain number of hours per paycheck.
  • Every Hour on Paycheck - Accrue hours on every paycheck.

You'll need to verify your set up to see why the 1.54 hrs is kept on printing on the pay stub after deleting the accruals. 

To get more information about setting up PTO in QuickBooks Desktop, please refer to these articles: 

Once verified and the problem continues, I'd suggest getting in touch with our Customer Care Team. They have the ability to initiate a remote-viewing session to help isolate the issue. 

Don't hesitate to leave a reply below if you need more assistance with PTO accrual or with QuickBooks. I'd be happy to help you out. Have a good one.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us