cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print W-2s

I found the printable employee W-2s but it says "This form will be available soon. Please check back later." What up?

9 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Print W-2s

Hello there, @Celeste1.

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Community. I can share some information about the printable employee W-2s QuickBooks Online (QBO).

The reason why you're seeing this note is that this form is currently unavailable. The printable employee W-2s will be available in Payroll Tax Center for printing and distribution on January 10. Additionally, you can also see the W-2, Copies B, C & 2 link on your Dashboard on the same date. For more information, you may visit this article: When will my W-2s be available?

When the forms are available, you should be able to access and print them immediately. Here's how:

1. Go to the Taxes menu at the left panel, then pick Payroll Tax.
2. Click the Annual Forms link on the Forms section, then select either All Employees or a specific employee from the drop-down menu.
3. Choose the W-2, Copies B, C & 2 link, and it'll route you to the Printable Employee Copies: Form W-2 page.
4. Select the appropriate period from the drop-down, then View to launch the Adobe Reader.
5. Click the Print icon on the Reader toolbar, then Print again.

For future reference, here's a helpful article that tackles viewing and printing W-2s in QBO: View and print W-2 forms in QuickBooks Online Payroll.

That should answer your concern for today. Please know that I'm only a post away if you have any additional questions. Take care and have a wonderful day!

Experienced Member

My W-2 file only shows copy A and the W-3.  How do I access copy B, and 2 to distribute to employees and keep for our records (supply to my accountant for year-end?)

QuickBooks Team

Hello, @Frustrating.

Let me help how you can access your copies for B & 2. 

Here's how:

1. Go to your QBO Dashboard and select Taxes, then Payroll Tax.
  2. In the Forms section, select the Annual Forms link.
  3. Select either All Employees or a specific employee name from the drop-down menu.
  4. Click the W-2, Copies B, C & 2 link. It'll take you to the Printable Employee Copies: Form W-2 page.
  5. Choose the appropriate period from the drop-down menu.
  6. Select the View tab to launch Adobe Reader in a new window.
  7. Select the Print Icon on the Reader toolbar. Then select Print again.

That should do it. Let me know if you have other questions about your W-2 form. I'll be here to help.

Experienced Member

Thank you LilyC but I do not use QBO so I do not see the dashboard nor the options you mention.  I run QB Destop Pro with Enhanced Payroll.  Last year I didn't have any trouble and I've not changed software versions, just updates to one I used last year.   Smiley Sad

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, Frustrating,

I appreciate the details you've added to help us narrow things down. I can help you locate your Form W-2 copies B, and 2.

Let's get started:

1. Go to the Employees menu.
  2. Choose Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s.
  3. Select Process Payroll Forms.
  4. Double-click Annual Form W-2/W-3 - Wage and Tax Statement/Transmittal.
  5. Select the correct filing period or year and click OK.
  6. Mark the employee names you want to create W-2s and choose Review/Edit.
  7. Click the Check for Errors button at the bottom. Make sure there aren't any errors left.
  8. Choose the Print for Your Records button, then mark the radio button for W-2 forms - Copies B, 2, and C.
  9. Once done, click Print PDF.

That should get you all set, Frustrating. You may want to check this article to learn more about printing W-2s in QuickBooks Desktop: Printing W-2 and W-3 forms in QuickBooks Desktop

Please feel free to get back to me if you need any QuickBooks help. I'll be happy to be your guide. All the best!

Highlighted
Super Explorer ***

Why do the Intuit Online W2's look nothing like the federal tax forms? The Quickbooks Desktop had the same look like the federal forms on the IRS website but these look nothing like them.

QuickBooks Team

Hello, Vitan.

Our developers made slight changes to the form to make sure it can work seamlessly with the program’s uniqueness (QuickBooks Online, Intuit Online Payroll).  Reassured the form is still compliant with IRS regardless of its differences.

Visit us again if you have further questions. 

Super Explorer ***

I read in the instructions that it is okay to print it on plain paper if you select it in the printing forms preferences. Can I print those two sided? With the instructions on the back?

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Vitan.

Thanks for getting back to us. Allow me to help and provide some insights about printing W-2 form. 

To answer your question, Yes. If this form serves as your employee's copy, you can definitely print it on a plain paper. Once done, you can print the instructions at the back of the plain paper you used for the W-2 form. 

For additional reference, you can check this article on how to view and print employee W-2 forms

You may also contact our Intuit Online Payroll Support if you need further assistance with the steps. They have additional tools to pull up your account and do a screen share. 

You can contact our phone support through this link: https://payroll.intuit.com/support/contact/?infosrc=qs&service=64

Please know that you're always welcome to post if you have any other questions about W-2 form. We're always here to help. Wishing you and your business continued success.