cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

Sick Leave

I am using Quickbooks 2019.  I have just upgraded from Quickbooks 2017 and have existing employees.  I ran one payroll in QuickBooks 2017 before upgrading.

I want to use the new sick pay option of accruing maximum sick pay hours for the year for my existing employees.  I have set-up in preferences per the instructions in QuickBooks.  It appears some of the new options are limited to new employees.

I can't get the maximum hours for the year option to work for my existing employees.  I don't see where I can choose this option on each employee's set-up screen.

Has anyone been successful with using the accrual limit based on maximum hours for sick leave accrual for existing employees?

3 Comments
Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Re: Sick Leave

Hi there, eatennant.

The maximum number of hours field in QuickBooks Desktop is available to all employees, regardless if they are new or not. Let's download a payroll update, then go back to the employee's setup to enter the limit for sick accrual.

To download an update, please go to the Employees menu and scroll down to Get Payroll Updates. Then, click Update

You can also contact our Payroll Support Team in case you can't still see the field in the existing employee's setup. Here's how: 

1. Open this link: https://payroll.intuit.com/support/contact/?infosrc=qs&service=16.
  2. Click Account, then click View Contact Info.

Let me know if you have follow-up questions. I'd be glad to help you again. 

Experienced Member

I made sure I had the most recent program and payroll updates.  I checked the release, and I was also good there.  The maximum number of hours box is available.  What I don't see available on the employee set-up screen and need is the choice for maximum hours at a time or maximum hours for the year.

QuickBooks has historically used maximum hours at a time.  I need maximum hours for the year.

QuickBooks Team

I've got you covered, eatennant.

I'm here to provide some additional clarification on your question regarding the Maximum hours for the year option.

Thanks for letting me know that you've already set this up in the QuickBooks Preferences. Also, you've got it right, establishing this preference only applies to new hires moving forward. For more information about this feature, you can check out this article: Sick Pay Maximums

That said, you could change the Hire Date of your existing employees, so this option will also apply to them.  However, it isn't legally recommended to do this, so I would suggest that you consult an accounting professional first. Our Intuit Find-A-ProAdvisor site allows you to find certified professionals in your local area that are sure to have the answers you're looking for.

Don't hesitate to reach out to me here in the Community with any additional questions or concerns you may have. Thanks for dropping in, wishing you and your business only the best.