cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pam TEC
Level 2

Summarize Payroll Data in Excel

I think Microsoft has maybe caused the issue..seems they should be looking into solutions as well.  The quarterly UI report seems to be a huge help to us payroll admins..

Pam TEC
Level 2

HEY HEADS UP-WORK AROUND FOUND just wanted to share for all Payroll Admins 

Go to 'Employees' , 'Payroll Tax Forms & W2s' then 'Tax Form Worksheets In Excel'

This will give you the figures you need for filing your state UI Quarterly returns! 

vrancourt
Level 2

I dont own a previous verson

AlcaeusF

Hello vrancourt,

Thank you for reaching back to us here in the Community. Allow me to assist you and provide additional information about exporting payroll data into Excel from QuickBooks Desktop.

Currently, the supported Microsoft Office version for QuickBooks is 2016 and previous versions. To check on what options you have, I recommend reaching out to the Microsoft Support from the link I'm adding down below:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/.

I also suggest bookmarking the article about the system requirements for the QuickBooks program. Any updates will show under the Software Compatibility sections of this support link:

QuickBooks Desktop system requirements.

As always, please let me know if I can be of additional assistance with using Excel for QuickBooks. Cheering you to a wonderful week ahead.

Rural CPA
Level 1

THANK you so much! This has become ridiculous that it is "Microsoft's" fault.

AlcaeusF

Hello there, Rural CPA.

I understand the importance of maximizing the ability to acquire the report you and your business needs. I've checked here, and we still have an open investigation (INV-24874) specific to the error when using Summarize Payroll Data in Excel.

We continue to document all issues going on to affected users for our product engineers to fix. That said, I recommend contacting QuickBooks Support for them to get the information they need and add you to the list of affected users.

In case you need the steps, check this out:

1. Open QuickBooks Desktop.
  2. Click the Help tab at the top menu bar.
  3. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help.

Please remember you can always reach out to me anytime you have questions or concerns about exporting data from QuickBooks. Wishing you all the best.

BigRedConsulting
Community Champion

Since Intuit has been sitting on this for over a year, I decided to look into it a few months ago.

I found several issues with the template.  It took a couple of hours to figure out the issues, fix them, and test the fixes. 

Then I published a free fixed version of the Summarize Payroll template on our site here: Summarize Payroll Data In Excel « Big Red Consulting 

sjensen
Level 2

vhague
Level 1

Ever since upgrading from Quickbooks Desktop Pro 2012 to 2019 this issue has been a thorn for us. After reloading all machines to Windows 10, upgrading to Quickbooks Desktop Pro 2019, and installing the Microsoft office, we discovered we had one Windows 7 laptop remaining that could pull reports properly, but for us it was the 940, 941, and State Unemployment Compensation reports that were the issue.

Big Red's solution is a simple one. Download a QB_Payroll_Link.xlt file and replace the one Intuit installed. This lead me to doing the same for QB_Taxform_Link.xlt, but what I did was to take the file from my prior Quickbooks Desktop Pro 2012 install and simply copy it over, No changes whatsoever. It worked like a charm.

I have some experience with software development myself and I can't help but agree with some people here who have been disappointed with Intuit's reaction to this issue. While the CSR reps have been saying 'Engineering is aware of the issue', my guess is that it has been queued behind other 'more important tasks' all this time. In fact, now that I understand how Quickbooks is interacting with the templates themselves (which is little more than calling them to start), a developer with even an inkling of knowledge of this functionality should have been able to point at the template files as the cause of the problem.

So, thank you Big Red for sharing your findings. I am very glad this issue is behind us.

BigRedConsulting
Community Champion

@vhague 

RE: ...but for us it was the 940, 941, and State Unemployment Compensation reports that were the issue.

What happens when you try to use that feature?  Maybe I can fix it, too.

RE: While the CSR reps have been saying 'Engineering is aware of the issue', my guess is that it has been queued behind other 'more important tasks' all this time.

Yes, for 15 months or so now.  Seems like perhaps they need to staff up?

SHarvey70
Level 1

I am having the same issues with Excel. I cannot pull from above payroll report, because when I submit my numbers for SUTA, it asks for employees excess wages. This is calculated when you summarize payroll data in excel. Not sure where to go from here since it won't bring up state wage listing. 

MarsStephanieL
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, SHarvey70.

I can show you how to get data for State Wage Listing, you can follow the steps below.

1. Run the report from previous quarters by going to the Reports menu.
  2. Select Employees and Payroll and choose Summarize Payroll and Data in Excel.
  3. If you will see a prompt to Update, click Yes

That should put all the data correctly. If not, you can perform Clean Install QuickBooks method and Excel are possible fixes. You can also use the following steps.

1. You can delete the 'QB_Payroll_Link.xlt'. template and then re-download it.
  2. Close QuickBooks then go to the C drive.
  3. Open Program files (86x), then locate Intuit, and QuickBooks 20xx.
  4. Locate the Components and then Templates.
  5. Find the QB_Payroll_Link.xlt and delete it.
  6. Re-open QuickBooks and get a Full Payroll Update.

Also, make sure that the Microsoft Office is compatible with your QuickBooks version.

Count me in if you need anything else. I'll be here to help. Take care.

dketner
Level 1

The state wage listing does not populate correctly.  Shows only only one employee - with Soc Sec # [removed] with the amount of 1,100 under the Payroll tax item Medicare additional tax.  I am unable to anything from the drop down box .  Any suggestions to fix this report? 

JoesemM

Hi there, @dketner.

Let's update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release. This way, your software is up to date and have the latest features and fixes. I'll show you how:

1. Go to the Help menu, select Update QuickBooks.
  2. Go to the Update Now tab.
  3. Select Get Updates to start the download.
  4. When the download finishes, restart QuickBooks.
  5. Accept the option to install the new release, when prompted.

Here's an article you can read for more details: Update QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Release.

Once done. let's get the latest tax table. This way, the state wage listing will populate correctly, here's how:

1. Go to the Employee.
  2. Then choose Get Payroll Updates.
  3. Select the Download Entire Update checkbox.
  4. Now pick Download Latest Update. A window appears when the download is complete.

If the error persists, I'd suggest contacting our Technical Support Team. An agent will look into your account in a secure environment to further check the root cause of the issue. 

Here's how:

1. Visit:https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Select your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Choose your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click Start a message to connect with us.

Just a heads up, we have limited staffing and have reduced our support hours to 6 AM-6 PM PT Monday-Friday due to COVID-19. We will resume normal hours as soon as possible.     

I've also added our Excel based payroll reports article. It provides several reports and how to generate them in QuickBooks.

Please reach out to me here should you need any additional assistance. Have a good one.

SkyQueen
Level 2

I still can't get the State Wage Listing to work as of 7/16/2020 and I am getting Global PivotTable report information was repaired due to integrity problems.  These errors make the Summarize Payroll Data in Excel totally unusable to me and the data for the 2nd QTR (Excel) doesn't match the data on the 941 created out of Quickbooks.  Its been years since the State Wage Listing worked; luckily I have a small # of employees so I can manually do this report but  I am frustrated that I continue to upgrade and buy annual payroll subscription but these things don't get repaired.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

MadelynC

Let’s get it sorted, @SkyQueen

I’m glad that you're still able to create the report manually despite the issue you’re getting. 

Making sure of your version up-to-date and compatible is a guarantee to avoid any error in the future. Since all the possible troubleshooting steps are mentioned here, including repairing Microsoft Office, you can reinstall QuickBooks. The Microsoft Office and Excel need to be installed on your computer before you install QuickBooks.

Once done, try to access the report again. If you’re getting the same results, you’ll want to uninstall and reinstall Excel. You can click this link and follow the steps provided.

You might want to check this article for additional information: Fix export to Excel issues in QuickBooks Desktop.

You can also reach out to our Technical Support team through the phone if the issue persists. So they can check and locate the main cause of this issue for you. Just follow my colleague's instructions above to contact them.

We’re here anytime if you have other concerns with QuickBooks. Keep safe.

lfgordon9151
Level 2

I was able to solve my problem by doing these steps:

1. I went into EXCEL

File

Options

Trust Center

Trust Center Settings

Trusted Locations

Add new location

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 20.0\Components\Templates\ 

Description: Quickbooks 20 Templates

Checked: Subfolders of this location are also trusted

OK

OK

Retry -    If still having issues, then use the Windows Programs "Repair Office" and then try again.

ashah1
Level 1

i can't transfer the summarize  payroll data in excel 

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Hello, @ashah1.

We've been receiving reports about the same error. Currently, our Product engineers together are working together to determine the root cause of this ongoing issue. 

I'd recommend contacting our Customer Care Department for QuickBooks Payroll. This way, you'd be added to the affected user's list. Also, you'd receive an email notification once updates are available. Here's how:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Select your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Choose your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

In the meantime, if your Microsoft Excel is updated, you can roll back to its version where you can still access the reports without the error prompts. You can also reach out to Microsoft Tech support or an IT professional to further help you in repairing Microsoft Office in a secured environment.

For additional insights, you may check out these articles: 

We appreciate your patience while we continue working on this. I'll be around if there's anything else you need.

Dawn H
Level 2

This did not work for me. I am running 2022 so I changed it to the correct Intuit directory but still not working. I believe this has something to do with Pivot Table setting? Any other ideas?

RenjolynC
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate your time in joining in on this thread, Dawn H.

I'd like to add some additional info about this ongoing issue.

At the moment, the investigation is still open and we're unable to get updates when it will be fixed. In the meantime, you can click here and follow the workaround shared by BigRedConsulting.

If you're still having the same issue, I recommend contacting our Customer Care Team. They'll add your company information to our notification lists, so you'll be updated with when the issue will be resolved.

Please take note that our support hours for QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier, and Plus starts from M-F 6 AM to 6 PM. For QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, we're available any time, any day.

1. In your QuickBooks Desktop program, go to Help QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  2. In the Have a Question window, click the Contact Us link at the bottom.
  3. From the Contact Us page, select any topics.
  4. Under Here's how to connect with a QuickBooks expert section, click the Start a Message or Get Phone Number button.

You can also get our direct phone number on this link: Contact QuickBooks Desktop support.

In addition, check out these articles to learn more about the reports in QuickBooks Desktop and how you can customize them:

Feel free to hit the Reply button below if you have more questions about the payroll reports or need help with other task in your account. Take care and stay safe.

Dawn H
Level 2

Unfortunately that patch does not work with QB 2022! If someone can can create a patch then why doesnt QB? Why dont you create the patch for QB 2022, rather than making us wait on Big Red to do this for you? This is mind boggling and so incredible unacceptable.

knoxfarm2020
Level 3

@Eregente wrote:

Hello There,

I am having issues with that report. It does not show the drill down arrow. Before I arrive to the "Get QuickBooks Date", there is a message that says "We found a problem with some content in 'QB_payroll_Link.xlt". Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes."

After clicking the Yes bottom, I can see all the reports except when I go to the tab STATE WAGE LISTING. I CANNOT use the drill down arrow to select the taxes I want to see.

Do you have an idea of what to do in this case?

I have the same issue after changing to Excel 365 from Excel 2007.

knoxfarm2020
Level 3

Win10 and Office 365 installed.

I just d/l'd this and tried opening it without copying to the QB prog folder, first.  I immediately got an error about Macros, which =are= enabled.  When I clicked on Enable Editing on the warning bar in Excel 365, I immediately got another error, which reads:

"Run-time error: '1004':

Method 'Range' of object '_Global' failed"

Only End and Help buttons are active.

Great that you've done this, but it's not working for me.

knoxfarm2020
Level 3

@knoxfarm2020 wrote:

Win10 and Office 365 installed.

I just d/l'd this and tried opening it without copying to the QB prog folder, first.  I immediately got an error about Macros, which =are= enabled.  When I clicked on Enable Editing on the warning bar in Excel 365, I immediately got another error, which reads:

"Run-time error: '1004':

Method 'Range' of object '_Global' failed"

Only End and Help buttons are active.

Great that you've done this, but it's not working for me.

=================================================

Just tried this again as I realized that I opened the file from the zip file without first extracting.  I extracted the file and opened it from the extracted file but am still getting the stupid  Macro warning.  I changed the Macro security option, saved the choice, reopened, changed back to Open ALL Macros, and I'm still getting the macro warning.  As of right now, this template is useless to me.  I do appreciate that someone has stepped up to fix this THREE YEAR OLD ISSUE, but it's, apparently not working for everyone.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us