cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Vaction time used not showing

My payroll set up creates paychecks from employees timesheets. Employees correctly enter vacation days as they use them, but vacation time used doesn't show up on paychecks or on QB reports.  What is set up wrong?  Vacation time accrued is working fine.

4 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Vaction time used not showing

Hello BCW1,

Welcome to the Community. I'm here to assist you with any questions you may have with the vacation time in QuickBooks Desktop.

You can view your employees' vacation time used by running the Employee Contact List report or viewing the paystubs. You can also check their profiles to ensure there are amounts in the Hours used field.

Please see this screenshot:

To run the Employee Contact List report:

1. Click the Reports tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Employees & Payroll.
  3. Click Employee Contact List.
  4. Click Customize Report.
  5. Go to the Display tab.
  6. Add Vacation Used.
  7. Click OK.

If you want to print pay stubs, you can mark the paycheck with the Print Later option and print them.

Here's how:

1. Click the Employees tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Click Employee Center.
  3. Go to the Employees tab.
  4. Choose an employee.
  5. Double-click to open the paycheck.
  6. Put a check mark beside Print Later.
  7. Click Save & Close.
  8. Click the File tab at the top menu, and select Print Forms.
  9. Click Pay Stubs.
  10. Choose your paystubs and click Preview.

For additional reference, I'm adding the article I recommend on this:

Report an employee's vacation and sick time used, available, accrued, and limits.

Let me know if you need further assistance with populating the vacation time used, and I'll be sure to get back to you. Wishing you all the best.

Established Member

Thank you for your reply.

I am able to create and view the reports you suggest, but the data they show is incorrect.  The reports do not subtract vacation or sick time used.  The do properly add vacation or sick time accrued.  The time subtracted should come from timesheets.  Employess enter time on payroll items - Employee Salary - Vacation, or Employee Salary - Sick.  I assume these payroll items must not be set up properly, but I can't find what it is I need to fix.

Established Member

Thank you for your reply.

I am able to create and view the reports you suggest, but the data they show is incorrect.  The reports do not subtract vacation or sick time used.  The do properly add vacation or sick time accrued.  The time subtracted should come from timesheets.  Employees enter time on payroll items - Employee Salary - Vacation, or Employee Salary - Sick.  I assume these payroll items must not be set up properly, but I can't find what it is I need to fix

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @BCW11.

I'm here to help check why vacation time used doesn't show up on your employees' paychecks and on the reports.

Since the vacation time used are correctly set up in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) but it doesn't show up on the paychecks or reports, you need to ensure that the vacation hourly rate item was set up correctly.

First, you have to open the paychecks created and check the payroll items used. Once done, check the setup or the item type. 

To check for the vacation item:

1. Click on Lists menu.
  2. Select Payroll Item List.
  3. Click on the item used on the paychecks and double check if the item was set up correctly.e1 vacation.PNG

You can read this article to learn more about setting up and paying sick and vacation time in QBDT: Set up and pay sick and vacation time.

On the other hand, if the issue persists, I suggest checking this with our Support Team to check this further securely. For the support's contact information, you may check it here: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

Please feel free to add a post/comment below if you have any other payroll concerns, I'll be always here to help you. Have a wonderful day ahead!