cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shumberthughes
Level 2

Zero Hours for Payroll Pay Date

Our employees are hourly and sometimes there ends up being zero hours. Payroll on QB does not seem to like it when I enter "0" and it keeps "reminding" me that I have not done payroll when I have (by entering "0") hours. Is there a way to "uncheck" an employee or somehow not have them appear for a payroll period if their hours in fact "zero"? 

12 Comments 12
FritzF

Hi there, @shumberthughes.

That's a great question! I can share some information about excluding an employee for a specific payroll period in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT).

If you don't want to include the employees that have zero hours for that payroll period, you can uncheck them on the Enter Payroll Information page. Here's how:

1. Go to Employees menu at the top and pick Pay Employees on the drop-down.
2. Choose whether Scheduled or Unscheduled Payroll.
3. On the Enter Payroll Information page, go to Employees column and uncheck those employees that have zero hours.
4. Click the Open Paycheck Detail tab to continue the process.

I also added some sample screenshots for your guide.

6.PNG7.PNG

For your reference, you can also check out this article and scroll down to Run Payroll for more information: Get started with Payroll.

That's it! Let me know how it goes or if I can be of additional assistance in the comment section. I'm always here should you have any other concerns. Have a wonderful rest of the day.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Don't make a Paycheck for someone getting No Pay. It's not 0 hours. It's No Paycheck, entirely. Do not Checkmark that employee.

The "reminder" is because you set a Schedule for pay period and pay dates, and the system is trying to help you by being the Calendar reminder function as a helper tool. That is different than the question of who is Paid, this time, and who is Not paid, this time, because they didn't work this Pay Period.

shumberthughes
Level 2

This is great information. What do I do if I have already run payroll for a particular PAST date and I entered zero hours? For the sake of QB and the error message I keep seeing, how can I "clear" those employees out who had zero hours but not affect those who got paid? 

shumberthughes
Level 2

This is great information! Thank you! What do I do if I have already run payroll for a PAST date? How do I "clear" those employees for whom I entered zero hours (and QB keeps giving me error message) without affecting those who did get paid? Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, @shumberthughes.

Thanks for getting back to us and providing additional information about running your payroll with zero hours. Allow me to chime in and help you further.

Seeing that you've already run your payroll with zero hours, you can clear those transactions by voiding and deleting the paychecks for that employee. However, before doing so, make sure you back up your data.

Here's how to void a paycheck:

1. Go to the Employees menu and select Payroll Center.
  2. Select the Transactions folder.
  3. Choose Paychecks and locate the paycheck with zero hours.
  4. Click the drop-down arrow for Delete tab and select Void. You can delete the paycheck after if needed.
  5. Once done, click Save & Close.

You can also check this related article for more information: Void a paycheck.

Moving forward, you can change the pay schedule without the hassle of sending a zero payroll to your employees. Let me help refer you to this article for more details in updating your employee's payroll schedule: Set up and manage payroll schedules.

As always, you can contact our Desktop Care Support whenever you need further assistance in going through the steps. Here's how to get their contact information:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks Version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Be sure to touch base with me here if you have additional questions about your payroll. I'm here anytime you need help.

lllcarmichael
Level 2

The problem I’m having if employee away that week. It won’t take zero hours

and the record of  employments data is all wrong on print outs I have to do manual 

GraceC
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @lllcarmichael.

You can create a deduction item under the Other Payroll Items to offset the net amount.

To create the paycheck:

1. Go to Employees at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Payroll Center.
  3. Click on Pay Employees.
  4. Select Start Unscheduled Payroll.
  5. Select an employee and click Continue.
  6. Click on Open Paycheck Detail.
  7. Fill in the necessary information under Earnings and Rate in the Preview Paycheck page.

After following the steps provide above, you'll be able to create a paycheck with zero net amount. For additional reference, you may check this article: Zero out the paycheck.

If you're referring to something different, more information about it would be much appreciated.

lllcarmichael
Level 2

Thanks for info. If away on holidays without pay  do you do the above answer or something

different I’m using quickbooks online    When doing the record of employment

quickiBooks  picks up wrong info from prev pay to fill in that week  on roe. Like vacation pay

so you have to enter something the week that employee is away for roe to be correct but it won’t take zero hours 

ReymondO
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for clarifying about the product that you're using, @lllcarmichael.

There's no need to create a paycheck for the employee that was on an unpaid holiday in QuickBooks. If you have employees that don't need to be paid, you can simply uncheck them in the Payroll Center when running a payroll.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Workers menu and select Employees.
  2. Click Run payroll.
  3. Uncheck the employee's name that you want to exclude to payroll.

You can also modify the Pay period and the Pay date if you don't need to pay your employees for a specific period. 

In addition, you can also run Time Activities by Employee Detail report to view the products and services (time activities) each employee provided, including hourly rate and duration. Or else, run the Total Pay payroll report to see the employee 's total pay by pay type. Simply follow these steps:

1. Go to Reports and find the name of the report.
  2. Enter the report name on the search field.
  3. Filter your report by employee, date range, and work location, and then select Run report.

If you need further assistance in running your payroll in QuickBooks, you can click the reply button below so we can assist you.

batteryoutlet
Level 1

What if I have only one employee? It will not allow me to move on to the next pay period.

Adrian_A

Good day, batteryoutlet!

I've got a way on how you can skip the pay period since you only have one employee.

You can edit the pay period end date to its next end date. Let me guide you with these steps:

1. Select Employees from the top menu bar. 
  2. Choose Payroll Center.
  3. Under the Create Paychecks table, select the payroll schedule you want to update.
  4. From the Payroll Schedules drop-down, select Edit Schedule.
  5. Make the necessary changes in the What is the pay period end date? and What should appear on paychecks date for this period? questions.
  6. Click Yes to update the payroll schedule for all the employees assigned to it.
  7. Hit OK.

I've added this reference that will help you in tracking your employee wages, taxes, adjustments, sick and vacation time: Create a payroll summary report.

I'm always here to continue helping if you have any other concerns. Just leave a reply.

bjohnson
Level 2

So just to be clear, your recommendation is simply to do nothing for that employee who has no hours this period? Simply remove them or "uncheck" the box next to next to their name? Then the reminder will eventually go away for future periods?

Need to get in touch?

Contact us