cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

creating a state W2 for efiling

Trying to create the State W2 efile text file.

QB has generated an Excel file but Where do I find the "Add-Ins" tab to locate the QB Payroll State W2 Drop-down Menu to do the Interview? I did this last year but I forgot how to locate the "Add-Ins" in the Excel file.

11 REPLIES
QuickBooks Team

Re: creating a state W2 for efiling

Hello there, mh34102.

Here's how you can locate the Add-ins option in Excel file:

1. Click File located in the upper left-hand corner.
  2. Click Options on the left panel and the Excel Options window pop-up.
  3. On the left menu, click Add-Ins.
  4. Locate the State W-2, and then click OK.

I'll be around if you need more help with QuickBooks. Thanks.

BRC
Established Community Backer ***

When you launch the feature from QB, Excel will open and you'll see a prompt to continue the process.   Then you'll see the toolbar or Add-in tab menu.

See QuickBooks Support - E-file your State W-2s  

BRC
Established Community Backer ***

OP: Trying to create the State W2 efile text file.
Intuit: Here's how you can locate the Add-ins option in Excel file:...

This in no way answers the question. When using the W-2 feature, finding Add-ins is not part of the process at all.

Established Member

Good morning.  I too am having difficulty creating a state w-2 file for uploading.  I followed your instructions re: file, options, add-ins.  There are 2 QBExcelReporterUpdate add-ins, but no instructions with regards to making them "active".  Any suggestions, Thanks!!

QuickBooks Team

Thank you for sharing the prompt you've received, @b401k1.

Creating a State W2 is my priotity, With that being said, allow me to walk you through activating the Microsoft Excel add-ins on your end.

Here's how:

1. Open Excel program on your device.
  2. Go to File tab.
  3. Click the Quick Access Toolbar drop-down menu from the upper left portion of your screen.
  4. Choose More Commands.
  5. Select Add-Ins.
  6. Click the drop-down arrow in the Manage box. 
  7. Select Excel Add-Ins.
  8. Click the Go button. 
  9. Hit the Browse button in the Add-Ins Available window to locate for your State W2 file.  Slide1.GIF

10. Click Ok

If you can't locate the Add-Ins that you want to activate, there would be a need for you to install the Add-Ins. Once completed, you'll see the newly activated add-ins listed under Active Application Add-ins tab

Keep me posted if you have other questions about creating and e-filling your State W2. I'd be happy to help you more and answer all your inquiries. Have a good one.

Established Member

Though not in your specific steps, I did find the add-ins locstion.  AT the bottom I saw a buttonthat said Excel Add-ins, I clicked GO.  I get a dialogue box with Analysis ToolPak, Anaslysis ToolPak-VBA, Euro Currency Tools, and Solver Add0in.  There is no mention of a State W-2 add-in.  Where do I go to get it, how do I doewnlosd it to be sasccessed from this point?  Again, Many thanks!!

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, b401k1. 

Thanks for getting back to us and letting me know about how the steps work out for you. Allow me to jump in and help you further. 

Since you're unable to see the add-ins for the QuickBooks Payroll forms, you need to repair QuickBooks. This can help fix any program-related issues or errors. 

First off, if the software was purchased through phone or online, download the installer from the website.  Then, make sure to back up your QuickBooks company file

Start by closing all the unnecessary programs interfering with QuickBooks, here's how:

1. Right-click the Windows Taskbar and select Start Task Manager.
  2. Select the Processes tab.
  3. Choose the Image Name to sort it alphabetically.
  4. Locate and select QBW32.EXE then click End Process
  5. Close Task Manager.

To Repair QuickBooks:

1. Go to Start and then Control Panel. 
  2. Select Programs and Features. If necessary, choose Uninstall a program.
  3. (Optional) If you don't see these options, select Programs, then Program Features.
  4. Choose QuickBooks in the list of programs and pick Uninstall/Change.
  5. Click Continue, then, Next.
  6. Select Repair then Next. Wait for the Repair to complete.
  7. Choose Finish,  then restart your computer if needed.

Check out this article for more details:

Repair QuickBooks Desktop

Once done, re-open the program, then download the latest QuickBooks release and the payroll tax table update

You should now be able to create the State W-2. Don't hesitate to leave me a response below if you have questions with the process. I'll be around!

Experienced Member

Thank you to ALL who replied and gave me instructions. I had the "chore" done.

Experienced Member

Thank you to ALL who replied and gave me instructions. I had this yearly "chore" completed.

Experienced Member

I am trying to create my W-2 state efile. When I click create state w-2 efile, QB opens excel and I get the following errors:

1. microsoft visual basic for applications "errors occurred during load" click ok then get this error

2. microsoft visual basic for applications "can't load or unload this object" click ok  then it opens and excel removes unreadable content. 

I have done this process for years. Last year I used the same microsoft & QB edition and didn't have these problems. Can anybody help?

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Stacie2.

Thanks for dropping by the Community. I’m here to help you get around the error message when pulling up your state W-2s in QuickBooks Desktop. 

It’s possible that the error is caused by QuickBooks latest update not being compatible with your existing Microsoft application. I’d suggest making sure you are up to date on the new Microsoft updates.

If you haven’t updated QuickBooks, do so and then create your state W-2s. Should you encounter the same error, please contact Microsoft for further assistance. 

That should do it. Please give them a call and let me know how it goes. I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon.