cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

error message

Trying to do payroll and this pops up

[Error 15106]The update program can not be opened.

For troubleshooting steps, note the error and type the following in a Web browser window.

www.quickbooks.com/support/update.html

When I try that, it says the site can't be reached.

Got another messaage saying use Code 16389

choose phone directory [P5101]

1 Comment

Re: error message

Greetings, @cjbtaft.

Thank you for visiting the Community. I'd be happy to help share some troubleshooting steps to get past this error message and ensure you'll be able to process payroll. 

The Error 15106 can be due to a third-party program, such as an anti-virus that's preventing QuickBooks Desktop from accessing the internet to complete the payroll update. It can also be because the computer administrator is not logged in, which limits your ability to read or write new files.

To start, let's close QuickBooks and make sure that you're logged in as the computer administrator. After that, you may need to turn off the antivirus temporarily to download the updates. Also, you may need to contact your program's provider for assistance in this process. 

Here's how: 

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc on your keyboard.
  2. On the Processes tab, look for the antivirus.
  3. Select the antivirus, then click End Process.
  4. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components, then rename the folder downloadqbxx folder to downloadqbxx.old.
  5. Log back into QuickBooks and reset the QuickBooks Desktop update

The following articles contain additional information about this, as well as steps for configuring the firewall and anti-virus software: 

After that, download the payroll tax table update, then try to run payroll again.

For additional help, feel free to reach out to our Payroll Support. They have the tools to determine what's causing the issue and help you get back to business in no time.

Here's how: 

1. Go to: http://payroll.intuit.com/support/contact.
  2. Click the Payroll button. 
  3. Click the View Contact Info button. 

That should point you in the right direction today.

Keep me posted on how these steps work out for you. I'll be happy to help you further.