cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
faithm178
Level 1

"calculate Manual Payroll" is missing from the HELP MENU to continue set up for Manual Payroll without a subscritpion

Im trying to turn on payroll without a subscription and Ive turned on the Full Payroll part in company file, but then go to Help menu and I cannot seem to find the link "Calculate Manual Payroll" in the help menu to continue?

9 Comments 9
JaneD

"calculate Manual Payroll" is missing from the HELP MENU to continue set up for Manual Payroll without a subscritpion

Good day, faithm178.

Thanks for joining the Community. Let me help you set up payroll without a subscription.

We've recently changed the title of the article in the Help menu of QuickBooks Desktop. Please follow these steps to set up manual payroll:

1. Go to Help and choose QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  2. In the search field, type in Manual Payroll and press Enter.
  3. Click on the Calculate payroll taxes manually (without a subscription to QuickBooks Desktop Payroll) link. 
  4. In the Set your company file to use the manual payroll calculations setting section, click on the manual payroll calculations link.
  5. Click on the Set my company file to use manual calculations link.

To help you with the process, I've attached some screenshots below.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

For further guidance, you can also check out this article: Set up payroll without a subscription.

You should be able to set up manual payroll after following these steps. Keep me updated on how this goes. I'm always here to help you further. Have a nice day.

faithm178
Level 1

Thank you but I can't see that topic when I search... in your image #2 it says "Answers in Help" I don't have that on mine and so the topic link does not come up?

Charies_M

Hi there, faithm178.

Thanks for letting us know the results of the steps you've tried above. Let's get this sorted out.

I've tried this on my end and I wasn't able to get the same result as yours. If you've already tried entering the topic from the search section but still unable to find those information or option, I recommend you get in touch with our QuickBooks Care Team to conduct further investigation.

However, the article provided by my colleague @JaneD should help you through the whole process of setting up manual payroll in QuickBooks Desktop.

Stay in touch if you have additional questions about manual payroll. I'm always around in the Community to help you out.

KimBrunner
Level 1

I had this problem and found out that in some of the newer versions of QB, they removed the Self Help section.  Here is how I got it back.  Hope it helps you.

Close QuickBooks

Go to File Manager

Go to C drive

Click on ProgramData Folder

Click on Intuit Folder

Click on QuickBooks2018 (or whatever version you have) Folder

Click on the file named qbw

Scroll to the bottom of this Notepad file

Hit enter to go to the next blank line

Type [SELFHELPPLUGIN] and hit enter

Type Enabled=0 and hit enter

Click File and Save and close the file

Reopen QuickBooks and the Help Section should look different and give you the "Answers in Help" section that was missing beforehand.

kcarlsen2
Level 1

Thank you for your screen shots but I can never get to the screens you've marked as 4 & 5. It just takes me back to the instructions to click on "Calculate payroll manually"

RaymondJayO

Hi there, @kcarlsen2

I appreciate you performing the first three steps in setting up manual payroll. Let's get the fourth and fifth steps to show on your desktop screen.

It's possible the Internet Explorer was not yet configured in your computer, which is why you're unable to see the fourth and fifth steps. 

First, let's make sure you’ve set Internet Explorer as your default browser. Here's how: 

1. Open your Internet Explorer.
  2. Select the Gear/Settings icon at the top. 
  3. Choose Internet Options.
  4. Select the Programs tab.
  5. Click Make Default under Default Web Browser.
  6. Click OK.

Then, you can perform the steps on how to verify Internet Explorer settings through this helpful article

If you're receiving a Page cannot be displayed error while enabling manual payroll, there is currently an investigation about this. You can perform the steps below as an alternative method. Here's how:

1. Close QuickBooks.
  2. Open the Windows File Explorer.
  3. Go to C:\Program data/Intuit/QuickBooks20XX.
  4. The Program data file is usually hidden. If you can't find it, click View and choose Hidden Items.
  5. Find the QBW.ini file, then open it by double-clicking the file.
  6. Scroll down to the bottom and add this entry: [SELFHELPPLUGIN] and Enabled=0. 
  7. Make sure to follow the exact format, then close the file.
  8. Open QuickBooks, and set up manual payroll again

Once done, please go back to the QBW.ini file to remove the entry you added. Here's how:

1. Close QuickBooks.
  2. Open the Windows File Explorer.
  3. Go to C:\Program data/Intuit/QuickBooks20XX.
  4. Double-click the QBW.ini file.
  5. Scroll down and remove the entry.
  6. Click Save and close
  7. Reopen QuickBooks.

To help you add to the notification list, I suggest contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team. This way, your issue will be taken care of and you'll be able to get updates about the issue via email. 

If there's anything else you need, drop me a comment below. I'll be here to help. 

boricuabookkeepingllc
Level 1

@KimBrunner wrote:

I had this problem and found out that in some of the newer versions of QB, they removed the Self Help section.  Here is how I got it back.  Hope it helps you.

Close QuickBooks

Go to File Manager

Go to C drive

Click on ProgramData Folder

Click on Intuit Folder

Click on QuickBooks2018 (or whatever version you have) Folder

Click on the file named qbw

Scroll to the bottom of this Notepad file

Hit enter to go to the next blank line

Type [SELFHELPPLUGIN] and hit enter

Type Enabled=0 and hit enter

Click File and Save and close the file

Reopen QuickBooks and the Help Section should look different and give you the "Answers in Help" section that was missing beforehand.

mreed2
Level 1

I'm trying to turn on payroll without a subscription and I've turned on the Full Payroll part in the company file, but then go to the Help menu and I cannot seem to find the link "Calculate Manual Payroll" in the help menu to continue, I have the 2019 version can you help me?

Rea_M

You're already on the right track in setting up manual payroll in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT), @mreed2. I'm here to make sure you're able to complete the process and start managing your payroll manually.

Before you set up manual payroll, you need to make sure you have the updated version of QBDT. This way, you get the latest fixes and improvements. Then, utilize and find the appropriate link (Calculate Manual Payroll) from the Help menu and continue with the process.

You can update your QBDT (2019) version either automatically, manually, or schedule future updates. If you opt to set up automatic updates, here's how:

1. Go to the Help menu and select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
  2. Choose the Update Now tab. Tip: You can select the Reset Update checkbox to clear all previous update downloads.
  3. Select Get Updates to start the download.
  4. When the download finishes, restart QuickBooks.
  5. Once prompted, accept the option to install the new release.

I've attached a screenshot below that shows the last four steps.

If you want to update QuickBooks manually or schedule future automatic updates, I'd recommend checking out this article for the step-by-step guide: Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.

After that, go back to the Help menu and choose QuickBooks Desktop Help to continue with the process. Then, follow the detailed guide provided by my colleague @JaneD above for setting up manual payroll in QBDT.

Also, I'm adding this article to further guide you in managing your business growth using QBODT: QuickBooks Help Articles. It includes topics about account management, banking, and inventory, to name a few. You can click the + More topics button to view other selections.

Keep me posted on how it goes. If there's anything else you need, please don't hesitate to leave a comment below. I'll be here to help. Take care always.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us