Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Jess W
Intuit

How Redundancy Can Be a Lucrative New Beginning

Cheri.pngName: Cheri Drake

Business: Sisters Staging

Founded: 2016

Cheri Drake had been in broadcasting for more than 30 years when she lost her job during a round of redundancies. As she tried to figure out her next move, a former colleague offered some advice: reinvent yourself. Those 2 words launched Cheri down a totally new career path as co-owner of Sisters Staging, a company that preps homes for sale or to let. Cheri had never predicted she’d be running her own home design company. But like so many people who work for themselves, Cheri’s unexpected “reinvention” lets her turn a long-time side passion into a burgeoning business.

What made you choose the home improvement industry?

I’ve always been interested in interior design, and I produced a radio show about home improvement for about 15 years. When friends had a house to sell, as a favour I’d help them “stage” their home. Those houses would always sell! People wanted to pay me, but I just thought of it as a hobby. My sister is an estate agent, and she wanted to be able to work from home while raising her kids. We decided it was the right time to go into business together.

What has been the biggest challenge so far?

Oh, I’ve done a few dumb things. First, I bought a cute logo from a company with a network of freelancers offering web and graphic design, digital marketing services and more. I let myself get talked into them building my website. Then upgrading to a mobile website. Then buying the social media marketing package. In the end, I’d given them thousands and had website content that seemed to be written by someone who didn’t speak English and had been dumped into Google Translate. It was a disaster.

I just had to cut my losses and find a new web designer. I admit I had a couple bad days because of this experience, but it was all part of the learning curve, right? I always own my mistakes, which makes it easier for me to move on.

How does your new website tie into your marketing strategy?

I think of my website as my front door for customers. On my blog, I try to make boring questions interesting—and funny! The blog reflects who we are and what our company is all about. It helps set us apart from our competition.

I use Facebook and Instagram to get our name out into the local community. What’s been really effective is leaving our printed materials—postcards, brochures, business cards—at all the local estate agents. I’ve paid to join a vendors’ program, too, which means I can attend regular meetings and network with agents and brokers. I’ll be presenting about our company at an upcoming event. It’s definitely worth the fee.

Any advice for budding entrepreneurs?

I’ve learned the hard way how important it is to have a signed contract and to get paid upfront. I work with many different clients, and not everyone knows what they’re doing. I’ve rented furniture and then discovered the client can’t pay me. Now I take my mobile payment system with me everywhere. I always ask for payment upfront.

What’s it like going into business with family?

My sister and I are very compatible, and we balance each other out. I focus on marketing and our digital strategy. She’s really organised and looks at all our numbers. If Nikki says the numbers won’t work, we won’t accept a client. I’m making it sound easy, but the most important thing is to be mature, take your ego out of the equation - and have fun working together.

What do you do you want from a small business community?

I love reading about other people’s entrepreneurial experiences. It’s so valuable, especially if you’re open to learning from what they’ve already tried and done. When you work for yourself, it’s exhilarating, but it’s all on you - the good, the bad and the ugly. Being part of a community helps me keep things in perspective.

Before you go, how do you cope with being self-employed? Do you feel overwhelmed? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

small.jpeg

Ready to be a part of an online business community to get virtual help and support from other small business owners like Rachel? Join the QB Community! Click HERE to sign up in a flash!

1 REPLY 1
Jess W
Intuit

How Redundancy Can Be a Lucrative New Beginning

Hi, HavingaGo!

I hope you're well! :)

You told me you were made redundant but had your own business alongside other work. How did you feel being made redundant, do you think it was a blessing in disguise because you can now focus on your own business? What are your thoughts now as a small business owner? :)

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

Need to get in touch?

Contact us