Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Jess W
Intuit

How Social Media Helped One Woman’s Business Bloom

Business of Love.jpeg

When event and floral designer Rachel Bowes was made redundant from her event planning job, she decided to be her own boss. She started Finch and Thistle with the goal of having greater flexibility at work. We spoke with Rachel about leveraging social media to build her brand and coming up with creative and new ideas to serve her clients.

What made you go into floristry and event planning?

When I was working as a charity event planner full time, I found I liked the more creative parts of my job the most—the art direction, the floral design. I enjoyed art and art classes all throughout school, but I didn’t get to pursue that love in any job I’d had before. Designing events and flowers is a special way I get to express myself. I’ve always been a keen gardener, and working with flowers seemed really natural for me.

What made you want to work for yourself?

Circumstances. I was made redundant, and I had to do something else. At that time, companies were making event people redundant because they were considered “non-essential” employees, which is crazy because we were raising money for the charities. I’m a self-motivated person, and I always wanted the freedom to follow my own path. With events, you have busy and slow times, just like with all project management. When I worked for someone else, I would be frustrated just sitting around in an office when nothing was happening. A bridal bouquet including blooms Rachel grew herself (@finchandthistle).

How did you start Finch and Thistle?

I hired someone to design a website and do some basic branding. Then I started networking and putting the word out that I was looking for events. People started getting referred to me. I’d worked for my first client before, during my time working for the charities, and they hired me on a contract basis to do all the event flowers. I built up my portfolio doing weddings for friends of friends. I look back on those days, and I can’t believe how little I charged! But I had to start somewhere.

When would you say your business really “took off” and why?

I received a lot of publicity in various magazines and on blogs about 3 years in. Having my business out there in the media gave me a lot more credibility with potential clients. People were coming to me saying, “I saw your wedding in this or that magazine”. I got a lot of new calls. I track my website traffic, so I saw I was getting a big bump after articles were published.

How do you use social media to promote your brand?

I’m very active on Instagram, and I also hired a social media consultant. Even though I’m in my mid-30s, I didn’t really grow up with social media. As a business owner, though, I need to make a real effort in that area, and it’s not something I naturally think about. I brought someone on board to give me some direction with the launch of my remote design business. It was my consultant’s idea to create a beautiful, Instagram-worthy design board to send to my e-design clients. Not only will they be able to take it to meetings with their event vendors, but they can also share it on social media, which promotes my business.

Business of Love 3 .jpeg

What is your approach to customer service?

With my customers, I always feel like I under-promise and over-deliver. I think that’s a good strategy for anyone in the service industry. I always follow up after the event to make sure they were happy and to hear their feedback.

What’s next for you?

I am in the process of creating an event facility. My husband and I bought some land, and we’re planning to build a modern and simple space to host events. The idea is that it’ll be a blank canvas so clients can rent it and turn it into whatever they want. It’ll have a sit-down reception capacity of 200 and capacity of 400 for a cocktail event.

This is by far my biggest career adventure yet - and not for the faint of heart! I am so excited to see it come together and be able to offer my clients a unique place to hold their weddings and corporate events.

small.jpeg

Want to join the discussion? But not yet a QB Community member? Click HERE to sign up in a flash!

6 REPLIES 6
Jess W
Intuit

Having a social media consultant is a great idea! Social media is a great marketing tool if it is managed correctly. If you aren't tech savvy, seeking advice is really helpful. Afterall, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter (the list goes on!) - all have many different concepts! Keeping consistent is challenging but it is the key to success on these social platforms.

@ParkwayInc and @JJJZ have you ever used social media for marketing? I would love to know how you use social media in the comments below!

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, flc!

I would love to know how you use social media for your hair and make-up business! Do you use interactive Instagram stories? Short engagements on Twitter? Or do you have a blog? :) 

What are your thoughts on social media for promotion? I know many hair and make-up artists that use social media so well and use it as a great way to market their services. 

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @Karsty!

When we spoke about your business, I thought social media might be a great way for you to visually promote your business - Instagram, Facebook and Twitter (they're all free to sign-up to). Instagram would be a great platform for you to use, your images are striking and it would be great to share them with others!

Also, you could add these social media links to your awesome website in the footer or in the side-bar. Do you use social media for your business?

Rachel Bowes, in this article, believes social media helped grow her brand! It's just a thought for you too Smiley Happy

Find Inspiration     

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @lynda!

Happy Friday! I hope you have had a lovely week! Smiley Happy

Do you use social media to promote your business? Bookkeeping or for your yoga teaching?

Find Inspiration     

lynda
Community Champion

Hi @Jess W:

I do use social media for advertising my firm and my yoga classes.

For my bookkeeping  company, I create YouTube videos and written blog posts that explains the details of the video.   I do this one time per week. Then I share it to Facebook, Twitter, and Google plus.  This, by far, has been my most effective marketing.

I don’t get many clients that find me through Facebook. I haven’t ventured into the world of paying for advertising there yet. But I think that day is looming.

I’m going to be doing a short webinar on August 30th at 1 pm Eastern time  with my cohost, Matthew Fulton from  Parkway Business. The topic will be transitioning to value pricing. It’s a difficult step for most of us in the bookkeeping and accounting world. I’ll be sharing some tips and tricks that I used when I moved my customers to this pricing method.

So I will be spending most of my marketing energy towards promoting that.   

For the yoga, I really only advertise it on Facebook when it’s a specialty class. I recently did one on restorative yoga and myofascial release. But other than that, I  stay away from too much promotion in the yoga class. Let the students share their love the class, and the  class will grow.

Don’t you think for women, our social skills are strong point? 

Lynda

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @lynda

Happy Monday! I hope you have had a great weekend.

These are brilliant insights! I love the fact that you use multiple platforms. I do the same. I post a blog post to my website and then I use the social media platforms to drive traffic. It does mean that I have to create more than one social asset but it works really well and helps me engage my audience and reach beyond my existing audience. Also, promoting across more than one platform is great for creating a brand presence in the online sphere. 

The webinar sounds really interesting! With, @ParkwayIncSmiley Very Happy - I would love to know more about this. Please share some more information and then our members can tune in if they wish. 

I adore restorative yoga! I agree with the review process from customers/members, this speaks volumes and is much more trustworthy, authentic, and real.

Thank you for providing these insights, @lynda!

If you're passionate about social media, innovative with your approach and always in-tune with the social trends, then you'll succeed! I love social media, it's so much fun. Do you have a favourite platform you use? I love Instagram!

Find Inspiration     

Need to get in touch?

Contact us