cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Jess W
Intuit

QUESTION: How do you achieve the family and work-life balance without losing creativity?

workingmom.stocksy.jpg

A pile of ironing, the school run, answering emails, scheduling meetings and remaining creative!? Almost seems impossible, doesn’t it?

I have watched my parents juggle more than one job at a time, and yet they have managed to achieve a joyful balance between work and family life. What’s their secret, I wonder? What’s yours?

How do you achieve the family and work-life balance without losing creativity?

8 REPLIES 8
Jess W
Intuit

QUESTION: How do you achieve the family and work-life balance without losing creativity?

I schedule my day according to my productivity levels. When I am at home, I will prioritise my personal and family needs. When I am at work, I give 100% to the task I am currently undertaking. I am mindful of my workload and I schedule accordingly using a timeline and calendar (web and written).

But I am always looking for new ways to be organised :) 

JackS

Hey @Jess W, I loved this article! 

I think it's majorly important to dedicate time to yourself so that you're then productive in work. It can be really easy to let work-life get to you and for you to lose focus on what's really important in your life like family and well-being. 

A few things I've been doing that helps me at work but also sustains a life outside of the office is to:

• Exercise regulary 
  • Eat as healthy as I can in the week (This defintelty slips at weekends!)
  • Drink loooaads of water. A weird one but helps for me.
  • See friends!
  • Organise your time, write it down if you have to.

To conclude with an answer to your question, it's defintely a challenge but can be managed if you're willing to 'switch-off'.

What are your thoughts with my tips @Jess W?! 

Jess W
Intuit

Thanks, @JackS ! 

Yes, especially if you're passionate about your work, it can sometimes take over and become overwhelming. 

Amazing tips Jack! I agree with all of them. I exercise every day without fail! I also eat healthy food to fuel my workload and I try to stay hydrated. 

Organising my workload via calendars and to-do lists always work for me. I am trying to transition over to using more web-based organising tools though.

@EmilyCowan how do you achieve the family and work-life balance without losing your creative mojo? :)

EmilyCowan
Level 7

Great tips, @JackS and @Jess W! Totally agree that diet and exercise are key - it's pretty hard to manage duties at home and work when you have no energy!

As far as boosting creativity, I might add making a commitment to STEP AWAY at regular intervals - from your computer, you cashier's counter, your potter's wheel, whatever it is. Set a timer on your phone if you have to. It's hard problem-solve and think creatively when you're looking at the same view for hours on end.

Jess W
Intuit

Thank you @EmilyCowan ! Agreed!

I love your tips. Taking time away from the screen is so important. I know this from revising for exams, creating articles for magazines and doing several jobs at once. Taking time away is definitely refreshing. 

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @ParkwayInc

How are things? :) 

I can imagine with the nature of your job, you're very busy and on-the-go all of the time. However, taking time-out is so important. Do you have a true work/life balance? If so, I would love to know how you achieve this. If you don't have a true balance, why is that the case? Do you find your workload frustrating? ...

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @MollconsXXX,

I hope you're having a great Wednesday and the sun is shining! 

Something that comes up in the community a lot is work/life balance. When you're passionate, run a business or you're self-employed, it can be hard to strike a good balance between the two concepts. I know you have been super busy with projects, do you struggle with work/life balance? Do you have any special tricks to ensure you take the time-out and relax? :) 

Find Inspiration     

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, Vickysbookkeepi

How do you strike a balance between work and family life?

I have to be really strict with myself to ensure I am having the rest I need, spending time with my family & achieving my business goals - it can be so difficult sometimes though!

Find Inspiration     

Need to get in touch?

Contact us