Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Jess W
Intuit

The Importance of Finding a Mentor and A Supportive Community

651x434.jpegName: Gopi Shah

Business: Gopi Shah Ceramics

Founded: September 2014

When Gopi Shah relocated for her partner’s new job, she found herself unemployed, with no network for continuing her career. Instead of panicking, Gopi decided to nurture her life-long passion for working with clay. She reached out to the local ceramics community and quickly found a mentor who knew all about running a successful art business. Gopi was nervous. But deep down, she knew she was ready for the challenge. 

Why did you find a mentor?

I’d worked with clay in an academic setting, taking classes at school and university. I knew that experience was very different to running a ceramics business. I figured being an apprentice was a low-risk way for me to see if I enjoyed the work and decide if it was feasible to build my own brand.

What did you learn from working with a mentor?

My mentor, along with her husband, was super supportive and taught me so much about becoming a professional ceramicist. I went into the apprenticeship asking questions and absorbing as much as I could. I don’t believe in the premise of “fake it till you make it.” To me, it’s important for small business owners to be honest about our vulnerabilities and what we don’t know.

Being humble and reaching out for help is also really important when it comes to building a business and being part of a community. It also helps mitigate the numerous mistakes we make when creating and growing a business.

Gopi 1.jpeg

How does belonging to a community help you?

Like many entrepreneurs, I spend a lot of time working by myself. It’s hard owning your own business and wearing so many hats. On any given day, I’m an accountant, a creative, a web designer—I have to do it all. It feels less overwhelming when I’m connected to a broader community of artists.

I think there’s a cultural influence too. I’m from an immigrant family. In India, families support and help each other so much. For me, it’s not just about connecting with artists. I’m fulfilled when I have a strong community of friends, family and neighbours. It improves my life.

How have you grown your business?

I’ve worked hard, and I’ve been lucky too. I started out with an Etsy store with a goal of selling 1 piece to someone who didn’t know me. I still remember how excited I was when it happened!

My approach has been to take small, incremental steps. After focusing on retail my first year, I started reaching out to retailers. I got many, many rejections but ended up with 5 shops. Now I work with 30-40 boutiques across the country.

I love attending craft shows because I can communicate directly with my customers. Seeing someone get excited about a piece of work helps propel me forward.

Do you plan to expand your business?

Last year, I hired my first employee. It’s fantastic to have someone around during the day. She has a retail background and knows about pricing, relationship building, that kind of thing. We bounce ideas off each other every day. I put off hiring someone for a long time, but once I did, I’ve never regretted it.

Looking ahead, I hope to set up my business for higher-yield productions. I’d like to find a warehouse space and employ people from the community, paying them good wages and providing benefits.

Gopi 2.jpeg

What gives you a boost on a tough day?

My partner is always there for me. My family was hesitant at first when I told them I was going to open my business since it isn’t stable work. Now my family are very supportive and excited for my success.

My job is very physical, which I love. It’s like doing CrossFit, lifting 50 pounds of clay, moving heavy shelves. It’s really hard work. Some days, it feels like an uphill battle. But then I’ll get a message from a customer about how excited they are to use one of my mugs each morning. That feels incredible.

small.jpeg

Ready to be a part of an online business community to get virtual help and support from other small business owners like Gopi? Click HERE to sign up in a flash!

Tell us: Did you seek out a mentor when you were starting out as an entrepreneur? How did having a mentor help you – and how did you find one in the first place?

1 REPLY 1
Jess W
Intuit

The Importance of Finding a Mentor and A Supportive Community

Hi, @Abi1

I saw that you're new to QuickBooks and you have just started using it for your small business, how exciting! If you need anything, just let me know.

I was wondering, did you seek advice from a mentor before building your business or did you just go for it? How did you take the leap? I would love to know in the comments below! :) 

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

Need to get in touch?

Contact us