cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ian-dobbie1
Level 1

I want to import a customer file. I only have company name not personal names and the system insists that I need personal name. How can I get around this?

6 Comments 6
Rustler
Level 15

I want to import a customer file. I only have company name not personal names and the system insists that I need personal name. How can I get around this?

Put the company name as the persons name too

QB requires that field be filled in

SophiaAnnL

@Rustler  is right, ian-dobbie1. You can change the mapping to import the file.

It's possible that the file uses Name instead of Company in the QuickBooks Online Field section. We can change that setting so you can successfully import your customer list.

Here's how:

1. Click the Gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of the Dashboard.
  2. Under Tools, select Import Data.
  3. In the Import Data page, select Customers.
  4. Browse the file that you saved, and then click Next.
  5. In the Map your fields to QuickBooks fields page, choose Company in the Name drop-down arrow below Your Field (see screenshot).
  6. Click Next.
  7. Review the file, and then click Import (see screenshot).

If you get the same result, I'd suggest downloading a sample file on the Upload page of the import process. From the downloaded Excel file, modify the fields by entering the company name in the Name field.

These are the steps I took to import the file the same way you want. If you have questions along the way, just let me know. ThanksCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

ssantiago
Level 1

I've been doing this and noticed an issue when emailing and printing my invoices.  Since the name and company name fields are filled, double names are popping up on the "bill to" section when invoicing.  How can the name field get removed from the invoice template since QB's online new customer imports force us to include a name?  

MirriamM

Thanks for joining the thread, @ssantiago.

The field on the Bill to section when printing an invoice depends on the information showing on the Billing address section when creating the invoice. To avoid double names, I recommend checking the data displaying on Billing address section and delete if name posted twice.

To know more about creating an invoice, see this link: Create invoices in QuickBooks Online.

If you'd want to personalise it, you can do so, visit this resource: Customise invoices, quotes, and sales receipts in QuickBooks Online.

For your future task, you may find this helpful: Record invoice payments in QuickBooks Online.

If there's anything else you need help with, let me know by commenting below. I'm here to help. Have a great day.

kdwilt
Level 1

So if you do this, then QBO takes the business name and smashes it into the FN MN and LN fields. So State of Iowa, becomes FN = State Middle Name = of and Last Name = Iowa. It's not going to be fun to go into every customer record and delete these incorrect fields.  Is there a way around this?

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Let me share additional information, @kdwilt.

Yes, QuickBooks automatically analyzes the business names of your customer and assigns it to the First Name, Middle Name, and Last Name field.

In addition, you can change the mapping of your data during the importing process. You can assign No Match on the Company name field. Then, assign the Company name on the Name field. I've attached a screenshot for your reference:

Keep me posted if you have other questions about managing your customer's information in QuickBooks. I'm always here to help.